Author Topic: Polyphemus Moth  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Polyphemus Moth
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:08:40 PM »
Last August our son found a large caterpillar on a tree in his yard.  He knows how I have always enjoyed "hatching" things, so he brought it to me and we put it in a small aquarium.  We were mistaken and thought we had a luna moth caterpillar.  I was surprised this past Sunday when I walked around the car in the garage and there it was in the window.......not a Luna Moth but a Polyphemus Moth!

Here's a description from wikipedia:
The Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus) is a North American member of the family Saturniidae, the giant silk moths. It is a tan colored moth, with an average wingspan of 15 cm (6 inches). The most notable feature of the moth is its large, purplish eyespots on its two hindwings. The eye spots are where it gets its name – from the Greek myth of the Cyclops Polyphemus. The caterpillar of the Polyphemus Moth can eat 86,000 times its weight at emergence in a little less than two months. It is widespread throughout much of North America, from southern Canada to parts of Mexico.

We brought it in and put it on the inside of the screen door, took lots of pics and turned him loose just before dark.

Offline Lorraine

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Polyphemus Moth
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:35:33 AM »
 :o wow, how beautiful. I ve seen photos of them but not a real one, great photos!
Hugs
Lorraine

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:38:15 AM »
How beautiful Karen!  I feel priviledged when I get to see one of those big guys--and it's a chance to teach granddaughters something they will remember.  Great pics too!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 06:46:22 AM »
What a wonderful experience, seeing the creator at work. It certainly is a beautiful creature. Thanks for sharing.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
Very cool!  I love to learn the names and characters of insects and reptiles in my garden!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 11:27:35 AM »
I knew you guys would appreciate my moth.  ;)  I was excited......I waited eight months to see what it was!
Notice his little transparent eye spots.  You can see right through them!  He had the cutest little fur hat on too.  o(:-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"