Author Topic: Just what you wanted to see  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Just what you wanted to see
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
Another pond...And you've seen mine many times. But I couldn't resist the Ajuga.

The waterfall and filter have been up and running now two weeks. As you might remember, all my fish died but one, the winter of 2008/9. The largest was 22" and 4 pounds. The other 9 were not much smaller. My stepdaughter gave me some of her goldfish and I have 4 small Koi. There is one fish who made that bad winter but all I can do it guess where it came from. I had a pure white male scaleless butterfly. I say male because I've seen the way he behaves at spawning time. This fish is flesh colored, kinda off white, he has butterfly fins and tail but no barbells I can see. He's getting bigger than most of the goldfish I've seen and we didn't buy him. I wonder if he is a cross from Pearl and a goldfish. I dunno.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Just what you wanted to see
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Your ajuga looks really good and your water is so clear.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:25:19 PM »
I've had two curved mesh baskets sitting in the steps of the waterfall giving a bit of help to the filter.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 03:36:55 PM »
It's a wonderful pond, Esther, and the ajuga, too.  Is it in your front yard?

What is the half-ring made of, in front of the water fall?  Are those lilies, pushing their way to the top, along the left edge, in the bottom photo?

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »
I always enjoy seeing your pond with all the pretty ajuga.  Nice clear water and plenty of lilies getting ready to bloom.  O0

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
I never tire of seeing others ponds...mine look a fright right now....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
It looks beautiful Esther, I also love seeing pics of your pond.  Beautiful lawns too, it always amazes me that things reappear from under the snow.  Does lawn grass come back like that or do you have to re-seed it every year?

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:48:27 PM »
Your pond & plants are lovely  O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline vibraphonusrex

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
That's a great looking pond!  I really like the tiered waterfall, and the plantings around the pond are just as beautiful as the plants in the water.

Bob Blomberg

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
Wow Esther,

You have a very lovely pond!  I don't remember now ever seeing it before.  And your plants are great too!

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 06:56:10 PM »
Can we all say awesome..... @O@ @O@ @O@ @O@
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 07:50:21 PM »
Julie, yes the pond is in the front yard, pretty much up against the front of the house with just room for the narrow board walk between. The arched bridge covers the window well for the egress window there. It easily picks up if the grandkids come to spend the night. The circle is the fishies dining room table. It is made from that foam pipe insulation stuff that is split and self sticks back to itself. I put it around a rope for the half ring at the bottom of the falls. That keeps down the splash and ripples some. Yes, all the pots you see are lilies. Here in the cold north, they start out that deep red/maroon first after winter but after they get going and the water/air warms, they turn to their normal colors. Some of those lilies end up in the little pond across the sidewalk/boardwalk. Some go to half barrel pots. And some go to the preform in the back yard.

Lawanna, I am lucky that we are both retired and Pete doesn't mind helping with the pond. I've had some trouble with my left leg and a pinched nerve and it "pains" me some so Pete has taken pity and gets things rolling around the pond. Thank goodness.

Jonna, Pete had just fertilized the lawn and we've had beautiful spring rains this year. When the frosts come, the grass just kinda lays there and some of it may brown underneath a bit but come spring and warmer weather, it just comes back all by itself. We do have a problem with "dog circles" in the back yard where Smokey potties over and over in the same spot during the winter so then we pull up the dead grass and either reseed or use grass plugs to move new grass to those spots. Fortunately there were only three this year and by June, they'll all be filled in.

I don't know, I've been ponding since maybe 2003 I guess so figure people have seen my stuff. Also I must admit that last summer I was a little disgruntled about the pond seeing all my big guys died. I didn't feel an attachment to the fish I have now like the other ones. I had said that if Pete wanted to fill it in, I might have gone along with it but I'm finding that this year I feel differently about it again. I'm beginning to identify some personalities in the fish I have and they are begging all the time to eat and makes me feel wanted. LOL.

Thanks for all the nice comments. It helps.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 07:51:08 PM »
2 words......

Just gorgeous!   o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 09:05:58 PM »
Looks great Esther.  I don't remember your pond being that large.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Lorraine

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 05:35:37 AM »
 :) wow, Ive seen your pond before, but gesh i just dont remember it being so beautiful. Looks great and makes me want to sit down and ejoy it for awhile. Iam glad you didnt fill it in. Everything looks great. The fish look good too. I know I was so unhappy with the darn toads and losing fish...but things seem to have turned around and looks like it has with you too.
  Thanks for sharing your beautiful pond.
Hugs
Lorraine

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
This pond is 10 X 13 X 24-30" deep, but of course the ledges take up some of the gallonage. It is still waaaay early in the season. In fact the temp right now at 1:40 PM is 53* and the sun is shining brightly.

Maybe you were thinking of the little one we put in across the boardwalk a couple of years ago. They are not attached and the little one has it's own filter skimmer under the boardwalk.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 05:26:11 AM »
Wow, Esther, I didn't remember it was so lovely either!  Very nice.  I love your falls.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »
Very nice. You seem like a real organized gardener O0.  Your pond looks so clean!  I understand about fish loss and not getting attached "again"

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
I love seeing your pond esther!  Its beautiful.  I wish people would post pictures daily of their ponds, I think that is part of the allure to the forums.  When I was first starting to build my pond, I searched for sites with photos to look at and the ones that had them is where I stayed.  The old forum use to have tons of pond pictures.  Now we hardly have any photos and theres always new people to that have not seen our ponds.  KEEP A POSTING THEM :)

tink

Offline Junie

• Members
  • With us since: 03/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »
WOW such a beautiful set up---

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
I love seeing your pond esther!  Its beautiful.  I wish people would post pictures daily of their ponds, I think that is part of the allure to the forums.  When I was first starting to build my pond, I searched for sites with photos to look at and the ones that had them is where I stayed.  KEEP A POSTING THEM :)
tink

I agree - I love seeing others' ponds and getting ideas from their wonderful creations!

Your set-up is so clean and pretty, Esther!  Can't wait to see more pictures as the season progresses!

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
You're pond is so pretty Ester !Looks great !

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"