Author Topic: Depression  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Depression
« on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:56 PM »
DEPRESSION is not a sign of weakness - it is a sign that you/they have been trying to be strong for too long. It is mental health week and 1 in 3 of us will suffer it at some point in our lives. Show your support.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Depression
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 07:13:25 PM »
Ummm... is there a reason for this?
I'm happy to rattle the pom poms, but is it National Mental Health week/day... or something?

In my limited experience, depression is readily treatable. Although it IS a killer, you can get help.
And its really silly, borderline stoopit, to refuse help.

Grief, however, was crippling, and incurable. You just keep breathing and someday you can get out of bed again.

Offline HOWELL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:25:03 PM »
I suffer of depression...I get depressed about lots of things...someone once told me it was because I had an artist soul...  :o :o :o
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
i am the personification of depression .

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:22:28 AM »
I have severe depression, but with medication and therapy I'm living a fairly normal life.  Thanks for the note Esther - it's great to remind people that someone you love with depression isn't just lazy or whatever, but needs help and understanding.  Hugs to all who share my problem  :hug:  You're not alone!

Offline Rad Michelle

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • hakuna matata
  • With us since: 08/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
I've been depressed, not severally though so I can't relate... Just get depressed when manure heads my way, which happens because of the decisions I make... But it's depressing right now and I feel at a loss having to deal with a loved one whom can't stop smoking speed. I've heard time and time again they were done but apparently that's not the case :( at least he opt to see a drug counselor because he doesn't understand why e can't stop... It's not frequent it's more every few weeks... Just sad day in general, but if there is help and you or others think it's a serious issue don't turn down help alot of times things don't fx themselves

Offline Esther

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:18:55 AM »
Often it is hard to empathize/sympathize with others when we have never experienced the same thing that they are suffering from. I have had a little depression down through the years and right now am on a tiny dose of a generic Prozac. Hubby is on Celexa--- only 20 mg I think. Mine helped to get me off the couch where I was sleeping a lot and didn't know why. I'm otherwise usually always puttering with something. But anyway, Sunbeam asked why that topic----guess it's like anything else we talk about, popped into my head after reading something on Facebook about it and wanted to spread the word , hoping someone who struggles with depression might be encouraged to seek help. Also I wanted those who struggle with it to know they're not alone. And I wanted to remind those who do not struggle with it to be aware of those who suffer from this problem and give them a little slack and encouragement. Some suffer because of a lack of sunshine, believe it or not. My husband is one of them. He's much better on sunny days and in the summer. Mental problems and depression shouldn't cause embarrassment or shame. Call the doc and get help.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:47:33 PM »
Mental illness still has a stigma attached to it. A good deal if that is because of lack of awareness understanding. It is getting better, someday it will be all but gone. I remember when people used to say "the C word" in whispered tones. Many of the various mental illnesses have inherent features that discourage their victims from seeking help, let's not let social stigma be one of them.  O0
Bryan

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
A friend has battled depression for years and his daughter has it also.  Makes me believe there is a mutant gene involved which would explain his daughter also fighting the disorder.  She tried suicide about a year ago.  Very sad situation but she seems to be on the mend.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »
I even wonder if it isn't contagious. That I know is a dumb thing to say but being around a depressed person is a real downer or when a person grow up in a household where depression rules, maybe that is what they learn.

Just got this email: hello, u dont kno me but i saw ur post about depression and theres allot more to it then people think. i have it and battle it for years but am to afraid to see a doctor. i grew up with a abusive dad who used leather belts to whip me and punched me in the face all the time. he always told me i would never become anybody and i still believe it sometimes. but the harder part is that people dont get it about being depressed when ur told ur nothing all ur life. i had to be a man and if i let depression get to me than i think im not being a man and that gets me more depressed. i get ashamed to see a doctor becuz than i have to admit im a failure and cant handle life. so i try to battle it alone and no matter what anyone says im to embarrassed to get real help. when i do go than the dr tells me that i am doing real well considring my childhood and that doesnt make it better. i suffer from inferior complex becuz of what he did when i was a kid and i cant be proud of what i accomplish becuz he use to beat me for that to. so i try not to be cocky and i try to hide my problems. most people dont kno that almost every day i come up with a reason not to kill myself and most times its just becuz im afraid i will fail at that to so i dont try it. and if thats the only reason i dont try it then i guess its good enuf becuz im still here. i dont have family no more and not allot of friends so all i do is get depressed alone and sometimes just drink to make it go away. im afraid of drugs so i wont do them. so thanks for what u said sometimes it helps to kno someone thinks about people like me but i dont want to post this. u can if u want but dont put my name becuz im ashame of my depression

This is exactly what I was talking about. We won't understand this kind of thing until we've walked miles in this man's shoes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 03:59:42 PM by Esther »

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »
I have totally been there.  It is a very scary place to be.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get help hon!!!!  You are important.  You are special.  You are more than your father.  Do not be ashamed.  Even if you need a different doctor, get help!  :hug:

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
It took a lot of courage to reach out and send that email. You feel like there is a mountain of grief piling higher and higher from all directions; the mountain is too big to bother trying to move. . . all you have to do is move one small shovel at a time. You did that just now! Your embarrassment and reluctance to seek help is exactly what I was taking about above when I referenced the "stigma" attached to these types of things. If I told you that you could cure heart disease if you were man enough, you would laugh at that notion. Would you be embarrassed to  seek help for diabetes? Please continue to seek the help you need. It doesn't make you weak! It won't get better over night it will take time, but you are worth that time. the first thing you need to realize, and truly believe is that you are not alone. There are people who are experiencing similar situations, more than you are aware of. I encourage you to visit  nami.org

Please don't be afraid to get help.
Bryan

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
I too have been on the depression side of life. My father is a diagnosed minic depressive. I grew up with much of the same as what the annonomous poster stated. I have never caterogized my depression as the same as his. I was always mad at him for having a doctor tell him that it wasn't his fault.
 There are various forms of deppression so not all are classified as a mental illness.

Continous thoughts of suicide need to be adressed. Sometimes it is just a matter of a chemical imbalance that a medicine can change your chemistry to where you do not feel that way any longer. These medicines do not make you feel high or tired or out of your mind if that is the chemical you are lacking. They make you feel normal. The feeling you are looking for. Go to the doctor and inform him of your thoughts and feelings. He/ She might make you feel whole again. I grew up with this and medicine can help.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
I tried to address the stuff he mentioned and by the time I was done, I was so mad at his father, it's a good thing he wasn't here. I'm not a violent person but when it comes to people abusing, especially their defenseless kids, I think I could be. Anyway, let's send him our encouragement and pray for him. No matter what a person's religion, or no religion, prayers and good thoughts can't hurt.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »
Ummm... is there a reason for this?
I'm happy to rattle the pom poms, but is it National Mental Health week/day... or something?

In my limited experience, depression is readily treatable. Although it IS a killer, you can get help.
And its really silly, borderline stoopit, to refuse help.

Grief, however, was crippling, and incurable. You just keep breathing and someday you can get out of bed again.

BTW Sunbeam it would be silly to refuse help if you were diagnosed and a doctor said take this and you would not feel this way. The problem is people suffering from major depression do not think they are depressed from a lack of a chemical. They have no idea. Imagine the grief you spoke of. Most of the time grief has a direct cause attached. Deppression however normally does not. It is a feeling inside that too is crippling and might feel incurable. Most of the time the person has no idea why they feel this way. They do not have the luxury of waiting for it to pass while lying in bed.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"