Author Topic: Has anybody grown or is growing duck potato?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Has anybody grown or is growing duck potato?
« on: May 17, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »
Last year, I had two plants. This year, I haven't seen them coming back but maybe they are. I got two pots with what looks like arrowheads sprouting out. I'm wondering if that is it coming up in the two pots. If you got it or had it, tell me about it's return in Spring.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Has anybody grown or is growing duck potato?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
That's one I've never heard of so guess I don't have it or know about it.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:30 AM »
Thank you, Savannah.

Now do you know what it is, Esther?

What I would like to see is photos of the first signs of it's return. After reading the information that Savannah brought forth,
I now know that it is capable of surviving Alabama Winters. It was one of the plants on my "Most Wanted Plants" list that I made up after moving to Florida. When it was offered to me by a club member down there who had two big stands of it in her pond but didn't know what it was, I almost hyperventilated with excitement, as I hadn't seen it in the wild. Maybe I will take a pic of it today and post it here and on the club Yahoo!Group (to see if she can confirm it)

Keep the replies coming. If that's it, it might be on offer soon. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 11:25:09 AM »
Okay, here are a few pics of what I have. Can someone tell me for sure that this is duck potato?

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 11:44:26 AM »
Yup, that's it.  @O@

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
HI Scott. AGAIN, I was wrong. LOL. You weren't making it up. I just couldn't figure out how a duck and a potato could be combined to describe a plant.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 06:30:13 PM »
I've had it for a few years.  It is a tough plant.  Every time I think I've killed it off, it comes back.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:03 PM »
Yup, that's it.  @O@

Savannah, you really have this plant?

HI Scott. AGAIN, I was wrong. LOL. You weren't making it up. I just couldn't figure out how a duck and a potato could be combined to describe a plant.

Esther, you are rarely wrong but this time you were. :) Actually, it's called duck potato because ducks will eat the tubers that it produces. Another plant that shares that trait with it is the common arrowhead.

I've had it for a few years.  It is a tough plant.  Every time I think I've killed it off, it comes back.

So Kat, you can confirm the pics as being that of Duck Potatoes?

Thanks y'all.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
That looks about right to me but don't hold it against me if I'm wrong.  I don't pay much attention to mine.

Here is a really old photo.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 05:17:36 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
Its either feral or native here. Grows in the ditches. :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 05:35:32 AM »
Savannah, it is a native. That doesn't mean that it can't be considered a noxious weed. I know for a fact that they are native to Florida and Alabama but they may be native to the whole Southern United States.

Kat. yours has narrower leaves than mine did. You should have seen it where I got it from. She had two big stands of it, one on each side of a fake bridge. They stood 4-5' tall with the flower spikes taller. I actually got a small stand of them that was starting to form. They weren't in a pot. I also got my regular cattail starts from this same person and they were in a tub size pond with another plant that she gave me some of but don't know what it was. It hasn't come back, yet.

Thanks everyone.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »
I tried duck potato years ago and found it to be invasive here, so I got rid of it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:15:57 AM »
Invasive stuff can really be a problem. I have a mint that not only sends out runners but seeds something fierce. I'm pulling up babies and runners all summer.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"