Author Topic: Guess what I found  (Read 3272 times)

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Guess what I found
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
You guessed it. Hardy waterlily seedlings. I know who the mama is, but the father hasn't confessed yet.  lol Thought I would show you all for those who have never seen what natural seedling propagation crosses look like. They are brown and some are very green, near the pads. Sorry the pic is not good, but had to take it with my phone, as I didn't have my camera. All babies have been moved to their own nursery tub.   ;D

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Guess what I found
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:29:52 PM »
So when would I deadhead the blossom? Or do you wait until it has gone to mush and dig out the seeds. I suppose in your pots, you just let nature take it's course. If I were to ----------- never mind. What am I thinking?? That's what I don't need-----more waterlilies!!!! I cringe when I have to divide mine because I hate throwing them away.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »
Interesting.  So, who's mama?  

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Katfish- Actually, the momma is one of my crosses. I am posting a pic of momma.
Esther- I do not dead head the lilies, and let nature take its course. Unless it is a lily that I am really fond of, I do not try to grow them out. I just throw the seedlings away.  Even when I do keep them, most of the seedlings do not survive because I do not take special care of them. Takes more space than I have to raise every seedling. I have just a few seedlings. I did try to keep some Arc-en-ceil seedlings, but forgot about them and let them die. I have a Mayla seedling and a Louise Villamarette seedling.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 04:08:18 PM »
I pulled one of my lilies today and saw a bunch of seedlings--I yanked them out and tossed them...not sure if they would have survived or not but, I didn't want to take that chance...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »
That is what I usually do too, Luwanna, but knowing the momma plant, thought it might be interesting to see what pups would look like, if they survive.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:31 PM »
That pink is soo vivid. Just beautiful.

Yah, that is what I meant when I said forget it...Sounded fun for a minute there though. LOL

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 05:36:57 PM »
That's pretty neat. I didn't get any volunteers last year (at least none that lived long enough for me to know about it). I think I will keep a closer eye out this year. It would be fun to baby a seedling and try to guess what the flower will look like.
Bryan

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »
Pretty flower.  I must be 'lucky' as I've not had seedlings yet, though I do deadhead pretty regularly. Gives me an excuse to play in the water  lol

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
This thread  is informative, a pleasure to read.  Wish all threads were like this!!!

Marie

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
I try to deadhead too, to keep the gunk down in the pond but lots of times I get behind. I have found the seed pods that look like they are making babies but never kept them. I don't have anything special anyway and can't remember the names of what I do have so I guess it doesn't matter.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 09:28:21 PM »
Sometimes it is fun just to see what the babies look like.  @O@  If there is gunk in the bottom of the pond, they will start to grow. Fish will sometimes eat them, but some may escape.
It doesn't matter if they have a name, they can be beautiful without one.   ;D Names are just to identify them when buying, trading or discussing them. In a pond, they are just beautiful red, pink, white, yellow, orange, whatever. If you do not know the name of a lily, just call it by color. So not guess at the proper name if you do not know it for sure. Most ponders do not keep up with the names. They just enjoy the beauty.  o(:-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 05:43:12 AM »
I don't dead head. That's why I ended up with a million N. minuta seeds and a seed pod on my white night bloomer last year. I do bag seed pods if they form. I never have to worry about hardy water lilies though, they never let nature take it's course. :'( The only seedlings that I ended up with was from a lost bagged N. minuta pod that I finally found over the weekend. I will be potting some of them hopefully today. :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 06:44:07 AM »
I'm green with envy.  I can't even get one lily going this year let alone getting excited over the "kids".  Sure wish I could figure out what I am doing wrong.  I love that beautiful pink.  It is so vivid. 
Jax

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
I do not deadhead my lilies. Just do not have time, so occassionally seedlings appear. I do not try to cross varieties deliberately so I do not have any idea which plant may have produced the pollen and what the seedlings could look like. Since the number of seedlings could be from 50+ plants per bloom, I obviously cannot grow them all out. Just let a few and I have no idea if the ones I grow out are the best of the bunch. If I let them grow long enough to see what the pads look like, I might could decide which ones to keep on that basis, but usually I do not wait that long even. Time and space constraints. There are several "named" lilies that were actually natural crosses that ended up being worth naming, so do not think that just because it was not deliberately crossed manually that it is not worthwhile. Deliberate crosses are done so often to get a specific look or trait. Beautiful lilies cancome from natural crosses as well. Seedlings will never be the same as the mother plant or father plant, unless they are species plants, because they will have traits from both. That is what makes the hobby have so many various plants with various colors, sizes and bloom shapes. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Interesting Frank. Do you know how many lily plants you have right now?

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »
Most of my tropicals are just sprouts, maybe 6" long stems and up. I probably have at least 250 potted up, but most of the pots contain a corm instead of a plant and they have around 5 plants on them I would guess as an average. I would estimate having over 1000 tropical plants if all were potted up individually. I usually separate them as I sell them. There are over 65 varieties if they all survived the winter.
On hardy lilies I have over 350 plants and over 40 varieties. Guess you can say I have enough!  lol
I wasn't planning on today being picture day, but here is a few pics to give you an idea of what I have in lilies. Two are pics of two of the three sections of the greenhouse, and 1 is of the outside tubs. The black tubs are for trops, and the white are for hardy lilies. It has no bearing as to color of the tub as to how the lily does, I just set it up that way.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:51:16 PM by matherfish »

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 06:21:17 PM »
Frank, if you need more room and start to throw baby water lilies away, I'll send you my address. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
 :o :o :o  WOW, oh WOW......also look at those Happy Lotus

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »
Wonder how close Goodlettsville is to Crossville. My father and his wife own property there in some retirement area.

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
Esther, I am three hours from Crossville. I think the place you may be referring to is Fairfield Glade.
Thanks, Pondmaninal. I might just do that. I found a tropical stray today in a tub that has a pot in it from last year. the pot had a small plant growing from a corm, but there was a small seedling floating on the water. I will investigate tomorrow to see if there are more seedling survivors or not. Amazing that the crom sprouted after the winter we had, and that a seed (maybe more) survived and is growing!  Shows what a single seed can do. Mother nature at work!

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 08:07:46 PM »
Crossville, TN Esther ? I spend a week there on Lake Holiday every summer, and Love it!

I think you need more tubs Matherfish. You must go through a ton of mosquito dunks!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
Those pictures are so amazing! I love seeing how real people grow their stuff... crates, hoses, and all. I used to think all that stuff needed to be put away before I took a picture, kind of "perfect" if you will. Now, I love to identify with reality. The reality of crates and hoses.  o(:-) Beautiful plants, btw.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:03 PM »
Yes, Fairfield Glade, Tn. To this day I can't figure where their heads were buying it. But that is another looooong story.

We were down there late winter. And came home up through the center of TN. We ended up in a state park and it was a lovely drive. I wouldn't mind spending some time in TN and banging around just exploring.

Offline KatFish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 05:29:24 AM »
Wow - if we had a fainting smily----  OMG!  I would be in heaven.  I'm really starting to think I missed my calling.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 07:03:49 AM »
I starts with one container KF and it's never too late.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
From my understanding, Frank has been lucky enough to work a deal with farmers to get those tubs leftover from some type of food for livestock.  Otherwise, check with Lowes or Home Depot for their patio ponds if they've got them in stock.  It is very addictive if you've got the room.  Anything that holds water ... kiddie pools, livestock water tanks, galvanized wash tubs, old bath tubs, old spas, plastic barrels cut in half, etc.  An old clawfoot tub can be very charming looking with water running from the spout for a fountain.

That's a lot of work there Frank.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 07:39:52 AM »
Thanks, all. It is a lot of work.
Kat is right. I started getting the idea of the tubs when I saw some on a farm and asked about them. There were only a couple, but knowing they came with minerals for cattle, I asked the local co-op if they would give me the names of farmers who bought a lot of them. I finally got the name of one person and he had about 20. All of the white tubs are half plastic barrels that I got from car washes. I cut them in half. After I ahd started doing that, and finding a few black tubs occasionally, a friend of mine told me that the maufaturer was not too far from me, about a three hour drive, and that they had been colledting them from farmers who had no sue for them, and selling them. I drove up there with my 16' trailer and bought all my trailer would hold without blowing out. I now have over 300 half barrel tubs. Also you see I use diddie pools to get plants started. Shallow water helps the sprouts to grow faster! They are moved to the tubs when bigger.
As Kat said, you can use anything that holds water for a pond. Use your imagination and then decorate it or not. It is yours to enjoy in whatever way you want. I have some aluminum water pitchers that I made little ponds in one time. That is the fun of ponding! You can do whatever you can afford, and you have room for.
Gotta go buy a few more kiddie ponds.... ;D

Offline matherfish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
I found more seedlings today, this time in the Arc-en-ceil tub! I started a new thread with info on it and pic on thread titled Arc-en-ceil hybrids.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"