Author Topic: Finally building a big pond...product advice requested  (Read 2335 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Finally building a big pond...product advice requested
« on: May 27, 2010, 05:22:57 AM »
When I joined this group back in 2001, we had a nice in ground pond in Kansas. Then we moved a few times to an apartment, rental house, our first purchased house, all in Florida and then to Texas. During that time, we had raised ponds and various container ponds. I am happy to report that an excavator is scheduled for Friday!!!

This pond will be a rounded off rectangle shape with a waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other. Approximately 14x24' with half at a depth of 3' and half at 2' (5500-6000 gallons). I also want to include an attached bog on one side for lotus. So far, I have looked at sequence pumps and then aquascapes, savio, and Atlantic brands for skimmers and waterfall filters. I am currently leaning towards Atlantic products. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jessica 
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Finally building a big pond...product advice requested
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 05:34:50 AM »
Jessica, if you go with two skimmers or put just the one at the back side of the bog so that the water has to circulate through the bog, you should need much more filtration to keep your water clean. Make sure to place the skimmer at an open area in the bog so that you are not sucking in any dirt that might be part of the bog. As far as advice on equipment, stay away from Aquascape. To me, it is over priced junk. :)

Congratulations on the big step. I envy you. O0
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 05:59:01 AM »
Thanks! We have only been waiting about 8 years to get this thing built!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:53 AM »
Jessica, if you go with two skimmers or put just the one at the back side of the bog so that the water has to circulate through the bog, you should need much more filtration to keep your water clean. Make sure to place the skimmer at an open area in the bog so that you are not sucking in any dirt that might be part of the bog. As far as advice on equipment, stay away from Aquascape. To me, it is over priced junk. :)

Congratulations on the big step. I envy you. O0

Oh, it's to early in the morning. That should have read, "you shouldn't need much more filtration". ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Congrats Jessica!  I know you've been wanting one built & it is exciting that the process is being started.  Be sure to take pics during the progress & keep us updated. O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »
Thanks, Kat! We are hiring out the digging and doing the rest. The bid we received was really high, more than what we were estimating.

I will upload a sketch tonight. We are currently thinking about pumping water from the skimmer to the gravel at the bottom of the bog as well as pumping to the waterfall. Skimmer and waterfall will be at opposite ends. I will quit rambling now because a picture will be worth 1000 words!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 06:43:38 AM »
Woohoo Jessica!!!!!!!!!!!!  @O@
I'm so excited for ya.
I'll leave the advice for the experts, I just want to see pictures.

Karen

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 07:02:22 AM »
WOW. I bet you have mixed feelings somewhat, apprehension and excitement. Also it is a great learning experience for the boys.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:31 AM »
Jessica we are in the middle of a pond build about the same size gallon wise but, ours is 10x15 and 6' deep all over...we are doing it a slightly bowl bottom--not too much just enough to help the crud move along to the bottom drains...a pond that size will really benefit from bottom drains--we are doing one with air and one with out...not sure of the brand of skimmer we are using as it was a gift from a friend...I'm really leaning towards the sequence pump too probably the 4,200 gph and 1,300 gph submersible pump in the skimmer...I like that sequence has a 3 year warranty and energy effeciant...and I know alto of ponders using it that really like it...all of our filtration will be diy--gravity fed mechanical filter with brushes and matting-next step a static bio filter and lastly a boiling K1 barrel....We have our hole 80% dug and all I'm doing now is gathering the last of the the equipment and then we can get er' down....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
Lawanna, I will definitely have to stop in on my way back from my next drive to Kansas to buy koi from you! I love those asagis you have!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
I'm so excited for your new pond, Jessica!  Also it looks like you did your homework planning your dream pond.  Sounds fabulous so far...of photos will tell  {:-P;;  Congrats!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 08:56:51 AM »
Jessica we love them too...wish they weren't soo much trouble at times but, they are worth it to me...Not to worry though--their babies are tuff as nails...We are hoping the new pond helps keep Fred and Ginger healthier...they will have a bit over 1,000 gallons of water each when we get them in it....and being 6' deep we are hoping they can stay a bit warmer during the winter and come into spring healthier...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
Lim pumps. With a bog, you are gonna get stuff in the pump - you need a pump that will take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I don't think you can over-filter a pond. :)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:34 PM »
A new pond is really exciting.

Yes, WLim pumps are great. Have his UVs and a filter too. But not cheap.

One of my biggest mistakes was cutting costs on some equipment and paying a bundle in the end. I learned not to skimp on anything permanent (ie glued to the liner) or cheap pumps that send the electric bill sky high. I have had 2 Atlantic filterfalls and they both leaked at the bulkhead fitting, I think because the plastic is thinner and may warp slightly when buried. The plastic weirs were warped as well, something I didn't notice until they were 'permanent'. My skimmer is Laguna skimmer filter and the plastic is really thick and sturdy -- I stand on it all the time.

I built my pond about 14 square and will pass on that it is about 2' too wide to reach the center with a pole net. On occasion something has fallen in  the center and I have to lay a 16' across the pond like a balance-beam and tip toe out.

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
I have had 15 years experience with Sequence pumps and can recommend them unequivocally.

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 08:25:28 AM »
Ditto on the Sequence pump...  5 years and absolutley not one problem, running 24/7/365... cross fingers...  Also a modified Savio skimmer with brushes has had zero issues...  I DIYed up-flow Skippy-type garbage can filters with tuile netting... My biggest mistake was using an inferior liner that lasted one year, so went to the roofing supply place and bought 45 mil EPDM and am most happy with it...

Dave

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 08:39:02 AM »
I am approachin5 5 years with my Sequence too.  no problems!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"