Author Topic: Turtle Island pics.  (Read 4980 times)

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Turtle Island pics.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 10:58:28 AM »
Your pics are beyond gorgeous.  I couldn't help but drool.  My fish have constantly uprooted my lilies every year and when I do get lucky and one survives they are never anything like yours.  I keep hoping.  Your pond is beautiful. 
Jax

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
Thank you Mike for being a gentleman and not mean and hateful or rude if you tell us something is wrong. There is a way to talk to people and be diplomatic And you are that way. Your lilies are just breathtaking. We will be waiting for any that come on the market. Please keep posting,

Offline rickinla

• Members
  • Zone 8b, 1 mile from Mobile Bay
  • With us since: 05/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Faith Farm
Need help from the turtle and lily expert
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
What's the trick to keep the turtles from eating the pads?  I have a few in my pond and the turtles eat every pad.  I have some 3' diameter fencing around the ones that I rescued last year and the area is full of pads but I know what will happen when I take up the fencing again.

By the way, your pond looks great.  Makes me want to eradicate some turtles.
Rick

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
Rick, do you know what species of turtle that you have?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
Yes, TM, I'm proud to know you and glad you share your knowledge and love for ponding with us.

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
Hey Mike......
great shots. @O@
I posted the pic of Sunfire I sent you here as well as on my Facebook page for the IWC.
Ken and I have talked about your babies... they are monsters and that is a good thing.  ;D
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 07:40:02 PM »
My trick to save the pads is..have plenty for everyone!
Mine seem to eat the stems more then the pads.  Also some varieties they ignore.  The love Dinning  on "Colorado"!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline small fish

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:35 PM »
 I am very happy that the lily Myra is a great bloomer.. and I live in Louisiana, so if you come to New Orleans to sell lilies I can be there  8-)~

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline rickinla

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Faith Farm
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
Don't know what species other than snapping turtles, mud turtles and sliders.

One of the water lilies is Colorado, but they also eat the Almost Black.  They pretty much leave the Native Water Lilies alone, but will eat them too at times.  They eat the pads first then move on to the stems.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2010, 10:51:55 AM »
I used to have a tiny painted turtle. He was sooo cute and would swim into my hand when it was feeding time. He munched on the edges of the lily pads too but he was so little that the marks looked like they were made with a seamstress's pinking shears.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »
Super WOW!  The photos you share of your lilies are eye-popping!  I wish you ultimate pleasure with your hobby if you haven't reached it yet!  WOW!

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
The plants growing in the one half whiskey barrel filter I have....have turned into a squirrel salad bar...luckily everything grows so fast it's not really noticeable.  Thank goodness they have not developed a taste for lilies or lotus!  8)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2010, 06:16:17 PM »
Don't know what species other than snapping turtles, mud turtles and sliders.

One of the water lilies is Colorado, but they also eat the Almost Black.  They pretty much leave the Native Water Lilies alone, but will eat them too at times.  They eat the pads first then move on to the stems.

Rick, snapping turtles will devour a water lily in no time at all.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
Timgod welcome back I have not seen you in a while.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 09:43:07 AM »

Wow that’s a lot to respond to. I’ve been away from the computer for a day or two.

First of all thank you all so much for every encouraging and nice thing that you have ever said to me from the time I first posted pics of my plants here.
 Those where my first posts on line ever and just about my first time on a computer.
I figured that I would show some pics of my plants and give them a little exposure and see what kind of reaction they received.  It has turned into much more than that.
I really feel like I have made a bunch of friends here and you have helped launch me into a whole other life.
 I’m not an attention seeker. If I was I would not have chosen to spend my whole life since I was 15 living in the forest by myself without even any friends most of the time.
My love of nature is the motivation for my lifestyle and my ponding interest and therefore the lilies just followed naturally and here I am.  If my dad hadn’t moved here I would not have a computer and you would know nothing about me and I about you.
I don’t know what would have happened in that scenario but now the lilies rule my life and I guess I’m going wherever they take me. I’m just along for the ride! 

It reminds me of a Nova show I saw recently about how plants are manipulating us humans to reproduce and distribute them and breed them to be even more enticing to us which makes us breed and distribute them even more widely and on and on in a symbiotic relationship between us and the plants.    I said “That’s me and my lilies for sure.”

Plants are replacing bees with humans !  Again using those ever enticing petals that they have evolved.  Amazing, and what a thing to be a part of. It just blows my mind!

Rickinla    What jerry said.    Much more lilies in cages like you are doing and plant your pond with Water purslane , and water plantain and spike rush and other native shallow water plants. 

My ponds are full of red ears and snappers and they just nibble on the lilies and do no damage.   I feed them and the fish now and then and if I don’t feed them for a long time I might find a Ladekery Fulgens , that’s their favorite, has been damaged.

Build a turtle trap and trap and eat or relocate all of those snappers, they are your main problem.  If you’re not the turtle eating type get a local good ol boy to come and get them out of the trap and you can let him take care of it. Good eating! Please be nice to the other turtles I don’t think they are much of a problem.

Your hybrid lilies are novel and tasty to your turtles.  Give them more and you will hardly notice the damage.   Enlarge the diameter of your cages or run the fence from on shore out into the pond along the shore and then back to land.  That worked for a friend of mine. 
 Are you sure that It’s not also deer that are eating them. Deer will go into water as high as there shoulders and eat all of your lilies.  In that case you will see lily stems sticking out of the water.

Hi Tim give me a call after work sometime maybe you’ll catch me here.

Sunfire seems slow to really get cranking this year probably because I divided them up last year and their getting reestablished.  I’m still learning about my plants.

The really weird thing is that Yellow Watermelon is not making light vein patterned leaves yet  this year !  It’s the weirdest thing. My yellow Arcenceil cross has no leaf patterns either. Very strange, I don’t like it. I like consistency in color and form if possible but unpredictability can be fun like with Purple Day which is now named Lavender Day because it’s lavender really not purple ..

I’m sending 4 more plants to Ken tomorrow and I plan on calling him today or tomorrow I hope.  I really want to talk to him. It’s been a long time. 

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »
Speechless. Beautiful plants and a nice philosophy. Thanks for showing both.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
TMike, you make a great friend because you are a humble man, like many others here. O0 You show your lilies and ponds not to brag but just because everyone else shows theirs, even though they may be as minuscule as my containers.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »
I think we're all very lucky to have found this forum!  Don't think you could meet any nicer people anywhere!

Love, love, love those lilies.  Keep 'em coming! o(:-) o(:-) o(:-)
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline rickinla

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Faith Farm
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice; been thinking of bigger cages but hadn't thought of turtle traps.  It's nice to know that the sliders aren't the problem, there are lots of those in the pond.  I know deer aren't the problem, I'm in an area that doesn't have any deer; and I've seen the bite marks on the pads before they're completely eaten, so turtles are my problem.

Care for some turtle soup?

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
Mike, we all greatly appreciate your humility and love for the hobby. Your plants are terrific and that is assured by the posts here. It is a fantastic hobby that we share where we can learn from one another and enjoy each others accomplishments no matter what the size of their pond or the plants they enjoy.
Thanks for the pics, and the hope of seeing some of your lilies in our ponds!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"