Author Topic: Got a gardening tip for a fat girl?  (Read 4936 times)

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Got a gardening tip for a fat girl?
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:01:53 AM »
As some of you may know, I've gained about 50 pounds in the last five years, which isn't bad, except that I've been trying to diet for about five years....  :o

So today, its a totally South Texas day. Clear, hot, and steam-room-humid. I was weeding my vastly overgrown veggie garden, and got a little light headed. Thought about it. And realized that every time I bent over, I was holding my breath. My muffin top was pressing against my diaphragm.   :P
The cure is to breath OUT when you bend over. No more light headed.

Any other tips for fat gardening out there? 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Got a gardening tip for a fat girl?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »
I know what you mean.  I'm melting here in Indiana, I could never make it in South Texas.

I have a bum knee and extra pounds, this getting old is so disgusting.  This bench is my best friend.  It's perfect for weeding and great for picking green beans.......you just straddle the row and the beans are practically in your lap!
I couldn't clean my pond filters without it, as I have a tough time getting up with my knee.  If you don't already have one.......you need one.

Drink lots of water too!

Karen

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »
Karen...where can we find one of your benches?

This what this old fat gal uses...   {:-P;;  notice the nice cushion.  I can usually move along with my feet and not have to do too much up and down.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
Join the club!  I bend easily, but seem to get winded from doing so.  It's like all the air is forced out of me.
I have been prunning a Coral tree (on a ladder) it is pretty easy. No huffing and puffing like I do when bending over

Savahanna, 50 lbs. is hard to believe, you carry it very well.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
You guys are something else... I'm glad Karen you turned your doodad over. I couldn't picture how you use it from the high side. I have some of the same problems and Sunbeam,,, yes be sure to drink a lot of water. I sweat like crazy anyway so often wet my jeans and shirt down with the hose just to cool off. It's been in the high 80s this week and 90 with high humidity too. My muffin is a cake but fortunately my frozen shoulder is letting up and the gimpy hip is too. I did chiropractor for a while and it would help and then not within a week. I finally gave up and just kept plugging. It still bothers but getting better. I have another reason for breathing funny Sunbeam. Last Dec/Jan I got infection in my left ear. After it went away it left that ear a little clogged feeling like when you get water in your ear. It just doesn't go away. So Dr. said to use Claritin. I took a whole bottle. I mean one at a time. Still there and now I'm on a nasal steroid something----still there.. I find myself breathing through my mouth because I don't like the sound it makes---like the wind blowing.

The main problem I have is that I need my head examined. I've lost weight more times than I'd like to admit but the next thing I know I'm eating again.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 11:48:10 AM »
My bench came from an Ace Hardware store two years ago.  It's made nice and heavy, it needs to be, cause I sure put a lot of stress on it when using it as a kneeling bench.  ::)

Sue I love your improvised bench.  That's real handy since it rolls.  O0

My weight has yo-yoed my entire life.  I joke that I am on a 10-year cycle...........every ten years I lose 50 pounds.  It really is true.........lost it in 79, 99, 09...........Having kids in the 80's kept it off.  I currently have it off, but I'm still a hefty gal, but a comfortable weight for me.  If I lost too much I'd look like an old prune!!!

Karen

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 02:00:33 PM »
Try to get as much of the work done during early morning hours or in the evening.  If you must garden during the hottest hours see if you can rig some kind of shade structure/umbrella where you're going to be.  The rolling cart/seat comes in handy.  Step2 makes a really nice one.  I've got the older style one (it does hold my weight) & haven't had a chance to try the newer one yet.  Lots of water & take many indoor breaks with a fan nearby.  Wet towel to wipe your face & a spray bottle will help keep you cooler.  Elastic waist shorts or pants is a must.  My knees are bad enough now that I can no longer kneel. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:04:18 PM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 05:59:14 PM »
I set down in a chair under and umbrella and have all my pots and dirt reachable for me to pot my tropical lilies. I also have a shower bench that works. Looks tacky but who cares. I have about  maybe another 60  left to pot. I will get it done

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
I hate to say this, but one of the cures for all these ills is - to be more active!

If you work out, or at least spend some time walking briskly every day, your body, breathing, stamina, and all that jazz will be strengthened, and you'll be better able to bend, lift, and last in the heat. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 10:32:24 PM »
I agree with julles.  I am a gym rat but sometimes age catches up.  We can't keep improving forever.  It is the law of diminishing returns. :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 10:43:08 PM »
You ladies are brutally honest....and I love you for it!  @O@  I feel like I belong!  Jerry you are so right about the law of diminishing returns.  The past 3 years I found out I have a misaligned back that has decided to rear all the pain I missed most of my life and gained weight to boot!  It's getting harder to pull pots out of my lily pond so I built a pot rack from pvc (I did Esther proud) to elevate the pots to an easier height.

In my front and vege garden I've made wider paths between the plants so that I can move my trusty cushioned red wagon much like SueTX's between plants while I trim or weed.  In the wagon I also have some room for a bottle of water plus hand tools.  Make sure you wear a wide brim hat, too!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
One thing about weeding and working around the yard, it doesn't hurt my hips so much than outright walking. I hate the idea of popping pills but maybe that would be better than not exercising.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 02:21:58 PM »
I love the idea of using a wagon....

Besides having the extra weight, I have bad hips, back and heart.  I've used a toddler bench for years.  Easy to move or carry around.  Couldn't do without it.

Brenda
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
I do my potting on this.

Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 05:34:42 PM »
That's a great bench, Scott.  I wish I had carpentry skills.

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 08:41:15 PM »
As some of you may know, I've gained about 50 pounds in the last five years, which isn't bad, except that I've been trying to diet for about five years....  :o

Whatever diet you're on doesn't work. I hate those so called "experts" who have never been five pounds overweight in their entire life...yet they think they have the answer for you.  :(  I'm definitely trying that wagon idea!

I don't know how financially secure you are, but one of the things I have realized is that it is often cheaper in the long run to hire a pro. Or even a teenage kid who will do anything to save up for an ipod. I've had neighborhood kids do some backbreaking work for five bucks and they were totally motivated. Cash rules.  ;)

I had two pre teen kids dig a pond for me. I told them both that I'd give them five bucks a piece. One kid did all the work while the other kid stood there doing nothing. I paid them both (as agreed), but I slipped the working kid extra. Will never hire the non-working kid again.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 10:06:34 PM »
Wow Scott, that is one clean bench!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »
Scott, I love your bench

We have an old picnic table made out of 2 x 6's.  I use it for a potting table.  Works great.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:38:23 AM »
Wow Scott, that is one clean bench!

Jerry, that was the pic that I took right after I finished building it. That was the only pic of it that I had where you could still see the bench. ;D

Oh, and thanks ladies. You ought to have seen what I was using before I built it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:41:29 AM by PondmaninAL »
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 06:42:45 AM »
I have another suggestion for bad backs. I've had one for years. Use a smaller shovel.
You have to look for it, but they make a "garden spade" that is long handled like a shovel, but about half the size. Takes about three scoops to get the same amount of dirt moved - but you aren't lifting 50 pounds a time either.
The smaller size must be appreciated by others, because mine keep disappearing.  ::)

I learned how to use a shovel from an old Mexican man. There is an easy way and a hard way to work a shovel.

There aren't enough old Mexicans or hard-working kids in my neighborhood. If there were, I would definately hire out the weeding. I enjoy planting, pruning, watering.. but weeding feels like changing diapers.  :(

When I have a big hole to dig - I borrow Butch's backhoe. Its nice to have friends with big tools.  @O@

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »
Sunbeam, you are right about a smaller shovel.  I was given one this year and I absolutely LOVE it!  The perfect size for putting in new plants and you don't have to lift so much dirt like with the big one. 

And I don't know where my head's been for the last few years since this Preen has been around--maybe landscapers knew about it but for the general public it has just become available here.  It has cut my weeding almost down to ZERO!  I'll have the occasional grass clump or blow in weed, but I can actually ENJOY my gardens and my eyes don't zero in on all the weeds hiding in amongst the blooms.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 07:33:30 AM »
tell us about "Preen".  I do use Round-Up, but many say it's a bad idea.  I'd be lost without it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 09:27:07 AM »
OH I too love Preen. There is just one problem. It doesn't work when you leave it sitting on the shelf in the garage. Some how it prevents seeds from sprouting. I made the mistake of planting something that was touted as an annual last summer in the brick planter at the end of the pool. Just over from the planter is a 4' high retaining wall garden with evergreen bushes that we usually mulch around with grass clippings and bush trimmings. Well, spring came early and I came late and there are seedlings all over coming up from those dumb annuals I planted in the brick planter. They are very small and tender so hope I can choke them out with mulch.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
I'm too fickle to use any herbicides. No telling what i may plant next.
 ::)

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
It's also due to hormones.  Once you get to a certain age, and once a gal's hormones start changing, the body changes, too, and there's no escaping it.  You can eat nothing but string beans for the rest of your life, and you will gain weight.  And not only that, but it puts itself in places where it wasn't before.  Very uncomely places.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »
So this lowfat yogurt icecream and chocolate chip cookies isn't to blame after all.... PHEW!!

LOL. Hair too. My sister in law has an understanding with her oldest son (she has only boys). When she is blind and in a nursing home, it is his job to bring the tweezers once a week and pluck the stray hairs from her chin.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 09:44:43 AM »
It's also due to hormones.  Once you get to a certain age, and once a gal's hormones start changing, the body changes, too, and there's no escaping it.  You can eat nothing but string beans for the rest of your life, and you will gain weight.  And not only that, but it puts itself in places where it wasn't before.  Very uncomely places.

I'm certainly living proof of that. ::)

I have a basketball parked on top of my abdomen.  ::) I'm long past the muffin top stage. Menopause has just completely wrecked my body in the last two years and that has taken a huge toll on me mentally.
I watch what I eat carefully. I am active, walk regularly, etc. and it doesn't do any good. The fat just keeps coming around my middle. I simply cannot be more
active than I am now as I just don't have the time. Plus, menopause has created a situation for me that makes it very difficult for me to be active. The slightest bit of exercise, even just my regular walks puts me in some serious pain. Even though I regularly do it, I still hurt after every time. I also gain no strength or stamina from it and certainly do not lose weight. That makes it very difficult to stay motivated. I went from very active and strong to struggling to be active when menopause hit. I've felt like crap ever since and nothing i've tried helps. Its very frustrating.

I have been reading a couple of books lately that are based on the theory that this is all due to your thyroid. Doctors test your thyroid and it show within normal ranges but they rarely order the appropriate test that really tells them whether or not the thyroid is functioning properly. Even the slightest drop in thyroid function can affect your body but doctors won't address the issue if your tests come back within their "normal" range. This book also says that many of the menopause symptoms women experience are more thyroid related than anything.
One of the key things the book talks about is if you keep gaining weight even though you diet and exercise, its probably your thyroid.
Its just like if we have a big fire and I'm working on the fire and even though I'm in turn-out gear, sweat like a horse, etc., etc. I'll actually gain weight afterwards rather than lose it. Before menopause I would easily lose 5+ pounds after fighting a fire.

The more I read these books, the more it makes sense. One of the books also teaches you how to eat to support your thyroid and help your body to stop fighting your attempts at weight loss.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
I had an aunt who read a thyroid book decades ago, and she was convinced of the same things. 

There are also subtle allergies.  I have a friend who kept gaining weight and had a lack of energy.  (She was in her 20's.)  She went to a place that analyzed a strand of hair, and the results came back that her system had difficulties with wheat and certain other things.  So she put herself on a VERY strict diet to avoid those foods, and, lo and behold, she quickly began to loose weight, and got to feel better, had more energy, etc.  Now she looks and feels great.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 10:36:20 AM »
Yes, I've heard that too. In fact, my doctor even suggested that I might try a gluten free diet. She claims she has had several patients solve some of their problems by doing so.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
i think our bodies aren't really designed to live this long.
Anthropologically, the elders end up being the teachers and care-givers for the very young, while the youthful do the gardening, gathering, and make war. So we elders are designed to go farther on less feed.
Since, in our society, a lot of us young-elders are not starved, we put on the pounds because we are capable of going a lot further on a lot less feed.
The imbalances the doctors talk about, aren't really imbalances - they are a survival strategy that no longer applies.

Our society has evolved faster than our bodies... :)

I would like to be thin... but I'm not going to ever be younger. So its a balancing act. And I am not giving up my evening glass of wine - which is where I'm probably packing on the pounds.
Wine turns to sugar. Sugar turns to fat.
I've given up chocolate and ice cream, but you have to draw a line somewhere!

There was a japanese koi magazine that was talking about a well-respected koi judge. The translation was bad... they meant wine connoisseur, but instead they printed that he was a "happy drunk". Translations can be so judgemental!  :o

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"