Author Topic: Got a gardening tip for a fat girl?  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Got a gardening tip for a fat girl?
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
I get a kick out of reading instruction manuels, that were written in a foreign language and then translated into English by a native speaker of that same native language.  The ones from Asian countries are particularly comical. 

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 09:50:55 AM »
I get a kick out of reading instruction manuels, that were written in a foreign language and then translated into English by a native speaker of that same native language.  The ones from Asian countries are particularly comical. 

That topic should get it's own thread!  ;)

Check out "The Six Week Cure for The Middle Aged Middle" by Dr's Mike and Mary Dan Eades. I've read it but haven't started the actual program yet. They're the ones who wrote Protein Power and Protein Power Lifeplan. Great books and better than Atkins because they've kept up with the science.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
I've tried the high protein/low carb diets and I don't lose weight and I really start feeling bad. Its difficult for me to eat so much protein because I really do not like that much meat. The older I get the nastier it becomes. I could easily do without it. Protein shakes.....OMG, they give me horrible stomach aches and digestive issues.
I've already cut a great deal of the carb offenders out of my diet but I still don't lose weight. ::) I think alot of it is genes/heredity on my dad's side of the family. I didn't know them but both my great grandmothers on my dad's side of the family were HUGE. I have old pictures of them and both were very overweight. My dad's sister was also VERY overweight.
I'm pretty frustrated because I don't lose weight regardless of exercise, walking, hiking, etc. and watching what I eat. I keep at it but my body seems to fight me.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 11:36:29 AM »
Yeah, well, be careful what you wish for... A lot of my friends that lost a LOT of weight did so because they were ill. :(

I haven't found anything that works. Its not even a question of comfort. I could endure a couple of weeks of misery if I could drop 5 (or 10) pounds. But the diets that are miserable don't work either.

The thyroid thingie is real. I am normally "high" in the thyroid chems... and when I am "normal", its low for me. So I have a supplement - but I don't think its enough. I feel better when I double the dose, but then I run out of the prescription too fast. :(

Still, being overweight is better than having a tooth ache!

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 06:01:18 PM »
well we must not eat here!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 06:06:16 PM »
Jerrrrrrrryyyyyy!!!!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 06:11:30 PM »
is this better?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline annsc_29710

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:53 AM »
Whenever I stoop down I get dizzy when I stand up. Everthing has always checked out. I got a little plastic stool at walmart and use it for weeding. Its light and easy to move. I think it cost about $8.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 12:29:19 PM »
Getting up fast will do it too, especially if you take meds.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2010, 06:28:37 PM »
Those are funny Jerry.

Ann, my DH started mentioning that type of thing and for him it turned out to be a sugar imbalance or bounce. As long as he eats well belanced meals and on time, he's fine.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Jerry, Round Up is one of the least toxic garden chemicals (applied properly of course). It does not have any residual effect in the soil, it breaks down. Killing the weeds stops one from disrupting the soil while pulling them out which can bring even more seeds to the surface. I use a plastic milk jug with the bottle cut out as a shield around my good plants. I spray down the part you pour out of.

Preen is a pre-emergent that stops some weed seeds from growing. You have to weed everything then spread it. I do not use it because I do far too much digging and planting and that would disrupt it's barrier. If your plantings aren't going to be disturbed it can work really well. It does not work on runners or weeds already in place. There is an organic variety for gardens but it is just corn gluten meal which can be purchased cheaper without their fancy packaging.

I am fat and I garden. I get horrible acid reflux when I bend over so I often skip meals and sit and crawl on the lawn rather than bending. I try not to do too much up and down as it is hard on the knees and I do get lightheaded too. Newly on high blood pressure meds....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
YES, LeeAnne. I was just going to post that I don;t get short of breath or dizzy, but if I bend over to garden after eating or drinking anything other than water, my esophagus is on fire for an hour afterwards. This never happened until recently. Must be an age thing. Or a belly thing. Or both. This is why I am online now: I'm waiting for lunch to clear out so I can get back outside.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »
Good to Know LeeAnne!  I have been poo pooed for using it.  I have a BIG lot and would be lost without it.
Preen would not work for my needs
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"