Author Topic: I cant decide whether to be happy or not .......lack of shade questions....  (Read 1864 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
The two lots that join my property side and back have always been a nightmare, unkeep two acres in the middle of a restricted subdivision.  Trees falling in my ponds, on my fences on my lotus.. etc etc etc.  Shade, shade and shade, my lillies were down to just barely getting  6 hours of sun.... but working with what I had, I have a huge area of shade gardens to the one side of my pond facing this overgrown lot... it has matured nicely and guess what happens last week.. every one of those trees I wished were gone are BUT I have no shade and my garden is dying.  any suggestions.. this is on a very steep bank so some type of pergola/cover etc is not possible.  I hate to think of having to move them at this time of year when its  so hot. Am pretty concerned about all my garden and pond . Almost all of it never got more than 7 hours of early morning on sun and is mostly dry banks with lots of sand.  Hard to judge as this week has been unusually hot but I am watering like I have never had to before and coneflowers are already shriveling between waterings.  I would hate to have to start all over with plants that can tolerate even more dry and less water.
Maybe some type of very quick growing trees that stay dwarf?

tink

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tink- the quickest growing tree that I know of is bamboo.  I planted one in the back of my house when my neighbor lost his huge tangelo tree due to the hurricanes and I was missing the shade.  I got one bamboo section for $35 at a farmer's market and in 2 yrs the bamboo tree became trees in a nice clump and is as tall as my oak trees that are about 25 yrs old.  Might have to get a variety that can stand the cold though if you get below freezing.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hi Tinkster...

What plants are threatened?  Maybe they can make it through this summer then move them when it's the best time...  Or put a shade cloth over them for the hot times...  Bummer they didn't tell you what was going to happen...

Dave

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
I have bamboo remember it is invasive But Ilike it anway, Good luck!

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Might try shade sails.

http://shadesails.com/

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wow...I'm so sorry about your loss.  Shade is the villain until you learn to work with it, then to lose it practically over night...Bummer.

I'll probably get BAD feedback for this, but what about the lowly and hated Mimosa or Silk Tree?  My front flower garden is on tricky red clay that hardens into something like bricks when dry.  Some friends advised me to contact a tree trimming company and have them dump several loads of chips, which I did 5 loads.  They composted over about 2 years and I now have a lovely garden.  However, I got Mimosa trees in the mix.  I hate that they seed so freely, but they do grow quickly, look tropical and provide some shade in a wide open spot.  They can be pruned into almost any shape you'd like. Just an idea.

Deborah
Shawnee, OK

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Love the "Silk Tree"  I think it's called Albizia.  Multiple trunks and even flowers.  Lots of seeds too.
I will look for a photo of mine.  If i don't locate it, I will take a few.  Found it!
Nice shade tree and you can prune it to suit your shade needs.  I will take a photo of the trunk later today!  I did.  This may belong in Terrestrial plants but...
As you can see Tink one can prune it to give you the amount of light you desire
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:44:42 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
Tink,
I can decide for you, be unhappy :'(
I had the same thing happen years ago, lost lots of shade due to a storm, I was very unhappy.
Now have most of my shade back and am much happier. Unfortunately, your shade plants, as you know, like shade. So, what to do? Probabaly the best choice is to move things around in you GORGEOUS yard. I know you can find spots of shade here and there.

good luck,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
If you want a seedling just yell!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
Jerry,
Would that tree grow here in Wisconsin?
Fast or slow grower?
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear your dilemma Tink!  I experience a situation like yours except my shade garden was nowhere nears as beautiful as yours.  My shade plants basically died in the sun since I really had no room for trees and pitching a tent for them just didn't look good.  Now this area is a sun loving garden.  I so miss having a shade garden.  :'(

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile

Tink I have lots of Yellow grove bamboo. It grows up to the diameter of a pop can in excelent conditions and 20 ft tall but in a big pot it will stay much smaller and you can move the pots around to shade whatever you want.

The problem is that it's not dormant for transplanting now and its late for it to grow any I think this year.

I can get all of the green cut bamboo for shade this year that you want but you would have to tie it to the top of your van and put a red flag on the back.  If your soil is thick enough where you would need to put it for shade you can cut the stalk at a sharp angel and stik them in the ground.  They will turn brown but will not lose their leaves and will shade all summer  and into next.

How did you lose your trees ?

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! 

Finn... I have a bit of everything, lots of shade loving shrubs, ferns, hostas, foam flowers, some grasses and carex, hydrangae's, liquara''s etc etc.

Jerry and Moon.. I love mimosa's!  I have one out front.  I am not sure why people dont like the feathery pink flowers and lacey type follage.

TMIKE.  yellow grove bamboo huh :))).  I have some of the green that the neightbor planted and its jumped the fence line.  ITs done on my lower lot.  Would love to move some of the yellow this fall I want more of it.  I lost the trees when the state made the owners of these vacant lots clean them up.  Thanks for the tiper on planting bamboo stalks.  I can cut down my green and use it for that.  How deep ya think I would need to burying them. .  Very steep and hard sand rock.. not sure I am up to that vs just moving it all :)
I am gonna be glad after I get everything moved Im sure.  These trees loomed way above me on a very steep bank and were very tall so  they were monsters all along my house, my pond etc.  Trying to get them all moved nowto other homes and just watering the crap out of the ones left there for now :)

tink

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Steve it goes domant here in zone 10, so maybe, just maybe.  Better Google it!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"