Author Topic: Ugh, sometimes I hate my fish  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ugh, sometimes I hate my fish
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »
The water is all muddy looking. We had a pretty good storm so thought maybe that was it but I couldn't figure out how.
Then I see the floating heart I received & potted up a few days ago floating ... I knew then it was the fish. They had found it & dug it up.
I was really hoping they would leave it alone or at least not find it, no such luck.

Yes, there were rocks on top. Little brats, LOL.

Offline Missa

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ugh, sometimes I hate my fish
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:47:06 AM »
And the water will probably turn green/er cuz there was a chunk of fertilizer in there. Darnit. >:(-

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55:08 AM »
Oh Missa...I'm in Shawnee...got 2" of rain last night and wind.  I am a gardener/plant nut with a goldfish pond and watergarden...more plants  @O@  I feed my goldfish zucchini cut in half and floated.  They do eat the roots of my floaters.  Love them anyway.

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
Yea, I had to go stake up tomatoes cuz of the wind.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »
They will definitely be beastly sometimes.  I suggest you have a smaller seperate tub garden to grow out new plants until they are more established.  That way when the pot is put into the main pond it will be less likely to be uprooted.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
just be glad yours are only goldies....Ginger is constantly knocking off their diy bottom drains--and since they are soo hard to get back on--I have to jump into the pond and do it  >:(-....I soo can't wait to have the new pond done--then she won't have any access to the pipes...
  Deborah--I didn't realize you lived soo close--I'm in Wagoner,Ok.
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
Wonder why some fish bother pots and others don't. The big ones that died two summers ago never did and the new ones don't either. Of course, my plants are so overgrown now, they can't get their fishie noses down to the soil much.

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 12:14:47 PM »
Yea, I should have put it in the bathtub with the lilies, hawthorne & mosquito fish.
These are the koi with a couple wakin.
They seem to only really mess with new plants ... or small ones.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
Melissa, did they totally destroy it or did they leave any of it with roots on it?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Missa

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
They just uprooted them.

Offline GarryT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Zone 2b
  • With us since: 21/08/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »
Well I can't blame my fish for my disaster of dirty water ...we had a near record +3" of rainfall in 36 hours in our already saturated clay based soil. Major pond & overland flooding so much so that I recovered a water lettuce plant 15' from the pond despite my best attempts to shore up the pond edges with additional spare paving stones. Fortunately the big goldies hunkered down during the storm and to the best of my knowledge given the murky water, they all seem to be accounted for.

I also discovered that we have night crawlers, something that I had suspected from the frequent mounds left in the lawn on damp mornings but I had never seen them. Big (some up to 10' long by 1/4" thick) ugly fellows that were driven out of hiding by the saturated conditions.  If anybody asks how they make it through a filter pump ...... a bit at a time. Eeeewwww! Made for some nasty filter cleaning.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »
I agreee... I am to the point where I am gonna have to decide,, Koi or water garden.  They started last year uprooting all my lililes.  I walked out today to find my biggest mayla floating and the water muddy.  They are just getting to big and eating everything in my pond.

tink

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"