Author Topic: Nasal Rinsing...does it work?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Nasal Rinsing...does it work?
« on: May 31, 2010, 05:51:18 PM »
Has anyone tried nasal rinsing with the Nelli Med or Nellipot?  It was recommended for chronic allergies and post nasal drip.  Just wondering what anyone else's experiences were with it...
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Nasal Rinsing...does it work?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:05:26 PM »
Don't know about those products, but hubby swears by rinsing with salt water.  He uses at straw and mixes his own salt water, UGH.  To me that would be like snorting pool water up my nose and I NEVER liked that.   :D  I just use saline nose spray summer and winter, works for me.   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:30:06 PM »
I have a netipot and when my allergies are bad I do use it and it does help.  It's kind of a PITA to use though so I don't use it until I'm suffering.  My allergies haven't really caught up with me yet, I think I'm still allergic to the hays and tree pollen in Calif and not the stuff here.  We brought the netipot with us but I haven't needed to use it. 

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:21 AM »
I had chronic sinus infections , and use the netipot often.  I dont get sinus infections or headaches anymore.  I have been using it more this allergy season and it seems to help alot.  I had sinus headaches my whole life and I rarely get one anymore.  For $15 it's  worth a try

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:24 AM »
We have a good friend that had allergy problems for years.....he was constantly "snorting"........drove us nuts.  {nono} 
He bought one and loves it..........no more snorting.  @O@

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 06:59:05 AM »
It definitely helps!  I use the Neil-Med bottle rather than the netti pot.  I think the bottle is much easier to use.  You can start and stop the flow and adjust the pressure by simply squeezing the bottle more or less.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »
I purchased a nasal water package from a warehouse store and it came with 4 plastic spray-like bottles filled with saline solution.  Of course now that I used up all the solution I easily make my own mixing half teaspoon of salt to the 4 oz. bottle of warm water.  Just hold your head to one side and spray/pour the liquid into the upper nostril letting it flow through the lower one.  Then do the reverse.  When you're done blow the rest out of your nose and you should be good for a while.  Generally this method cleans out all the pollen or pollutants that get caught in the back of the nose.  It works well for me.  I usually carry one of the bottles with me when I travel.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »
Cool!  My father-in-law swears by it for his post nasal drip.  He uses it religiously 2-3 times a day.  He use to snore so bad we could hear him with the doors closed.  He does not snore anymore and I think its due to this.  I have post nasal drip bad and needed a solution.  Went to get the Nelli-Med and struggled with it at first....got more of the solution on the mirror and all over the bathroom counter than in my nose... felt like I was drowning in salt water.  I've got it down now though, but it still is weird enough that I'm not eager to use it that often.  I'll be more persistent with it now.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
My father uses the bottle, which according to the back of the nedipot is the best/strongest way but anyway, he loves it and swears by it.  I live in one of the worst areas for sinus problems due to industrial emisions etc and most all the dr's here prescribe them.

tink

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:47 PM »
I really want to try this for my son, who is constantly coughing due to the post nasal drip of allergies. Have heard of others who like it, but I don't know how to teach him how to use it (he's 8 )... do they come with good directions?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:10 AM »
I really want to try this for my son, who is constantly coughing due to the post nasal drip of allergies. Have heard of others who like it, but I don't know how to teach him how to use it (he's 8 )... do they come with good directions?

I'm not good at reading and following written instructions....I had a demo by my father-in-law.  But there is a set of instructions in the box and a whole write up on why it works (I just haven't read it).  I have the exact same problem as your son and finally had to do something about it cause its unpleasant to get up in the morning and gag on all the drainage as soon as you sit or stand.  Puts me back about half an hour in the morning, and when i get in to work people always think that I am sick or something.  Some days worse than others.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 05:24:06 AM »
I'm glad to see this thread... I'm guilty of buying one and saying 'I'll try it later....'  {:-P;; Something about water up the nose.  {nono}  I will do it this weekend!

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:44 AM »
Just lean over the sink...look down at the drain and you should be okay.  I even look more towards the overflow drain located at the front of the sink and that helps make it a little more comfortable for me.  Just remember to keep your mouth open and breathe normally through your mouth.  If you're really clogged up up there, the saline solution will come out of your mouth and can induce a slight gag reflex, but not too bad.

Karen, I would suggest you use it a few times yourself before trying to teach an 8 year old.  Nothing better than first hand knowledge when trying to convey that to someone else.  It does feel weird at first and totally unnatural, but you do get used to it rather quickly.

I tried using a small amount of salt, and it burned like hell for me.  I just stick with the saline packets made by Neil-Med.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
I occassionally use it, but I do not like the sensation of the water running through my nose and nasal passages.  It reminds me too much of the white water rafting incident and being wash down the rapids sucking back water through my nose and mouth in the process of fighting to stay alive.  In short, it feels like I will drown.

It works so-so for me.  A couple of people at work get way better results than I do.

Bart

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 12:48:30 PM »
2 yrs ago I had a bad bout of sinus infection.  2 rounds of antibiotics didn't get rid of it so my Dr. recommended nasal rinsing plus 3rd round of antibiotics on top of steroid nasal spray.  That took care of it.

I didn't get a nelli pot.  I just used an old rubbermaid sip bottle that my daughter used, cleaned it well with soap and rinsed clean.  Put luke warm water with 1 tsp of baking sode plus a pinch of kosher salt.  I think the bottle holds about 2 cups of water.

Even now, during the peak allergy season or in between seasons when my nose starts to stuff up, I will rinse it twice a day.  I just tip my head to the side and kind of leaning down towards the sink then rinse it.  It is a weird sensation but sure beats having a bad sinus infection.

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"