Author Topic: Recycle projects - Let's share!  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Recycle projects - Let's share!
« on: June 01, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
I love to make something out of nothing.  Someone gave me some seed for a loofah vine and I was needing a trellis.  We had an old deck umbrella, after less than an hour spent grinding off the rivits and screwing it together, here's what we have.  Didn't even have to saw anything, the wood was just the right size.  Now I need to think of something to use the center pole for.
Anyone else have any recycle projects to share?

Karen

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Recycle projects - Let's share!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:21:49 PM »
I try to find uses for everything and appreciate ideas too.  I'll cry if my umbrellas break down but that is a very cool way of recycling.  I usually trim long branches from my fruit trees first of the year and use the straight branches to stake flowers and veges.  With larger branches I leave a v cut at the end of 2 smaller branches to use as a prop for heavy fruit yields under weak branches or draping string lights in the trees.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
LOL. Growing up on a farm, I didn't know there was any other way to live. We didn't call it recycling. It was "waste not, want not." But I think it helps when your spouse thinks the same way too. I think I also was born with some inner need to create something out of nothing. Then being a tightwad on top of things is a great motivator. So DIY all fits in this picture.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »
I think of myself as an urban scavenger.  lol

Its amazing what you find in the trash.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:49:06 PM »
I don't have any pics...will have to take some, but I use the circular, heavy metal displays for the cocoa mat hanging planters. Garden centers have them and most just toss them when the planters are gone so ask if you can have them when they're empty. They make the best tomato and pepper cages, I even used them for my cukes last year, makes for a nicer looking garden and the cukes are much easier to find and pick when they're off the ground. They are made of heavy metal (mine were painted black when I got them from the store) and are a nice height. They are way sturdier than the cages sold for tomatoes and I have a feeling they will last forever. I usually accumulate 2 or 3 each year and will be so glad when I have enough of them that I can have only those for my cages.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 09:10:11 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
Can you take a picture? I can't picture what you're talking about.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:35 PM »
I will try to remember to tomorrow.
zone 5b

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »
Karen, since you like doing these kinds of projects you need to go hang out on the Garden Web Garden Junk forum.
Pretty creative bunch over there. :)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/junk/
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 11:10:34 AM »
Thanks for the reminder Shanna.  I haven't been there for a long time.  That's where I got started on the marble bowling balls!

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:09 AM »
I found this truck tool crib in a dumpster at work two yers ago and thought how can I use this in a pond situation. When it came time to build a special pond for my lemon yellow goldfish last year the light came on!

The media used in this  55 gallon upflow filter is re cycled poly shipping strapping tied up with zip ties.

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
Way kewl Frogman...I too love finding things on the road side or up-cycling trash.   Here are a few pics with descriptions.
One half of a ss pool filter turned into a little reflective pool...cut in half with a jig saw  ;D
http://picasaweb.google.com/116641270955153683450/ZenMeditationGarden#5475655696141074626.

Blue bottle tree.
http://picasaweb.google.com/116641270955153683450/NewCamera?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfV2e-Vn96uOw#5475675260467068066

Stainless steel dryer drum with wind chimes hanging inside...great sound.
http://picasaweb.google.com/116641270955153683450/NewCamera?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfV2e-Vn96uOw#5475669007108577874

Round metal display rack given to me by mgr at Lowe's...in veggie garden..just planted runner beans...will post again later.
http://picasaweb.google.com/116641270955153683450/NewCamera?authkey=Gv1sRgCPfV2e-Vn96uOw#5475681926273724546

Sorry about the cut-n-paste I can't get the insert link button to work.  Need to read directions ::)

Deborah...Shawnee, OK

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:17 PM »
Great ideas!  Gives ya a "satisfied" feeling to create, doesn't it.

Offline frogman3

• Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55:06 AM »
Some very creative idea's Deb.

I get satisfaction when ever I look at pond catalogs and the prices they charge for filters that can easily be made yourself.  Filter media cost are exorbitant IMO. The fact that I use strapping that co-workers save for me, that would normally go to a land fill, makes it all the better. I have huge bags of the stuff and have built filters for neighbors and friends using recycled containers and media for next to nothing.
One neighbor lady had two 16" Koi with no bio filter so I tested for ammonia and of course she had a problem so I had to add Amquel to the pond and hurriedly build her a filter last year. She loves her fish, she just didn’t know how to provide for them. They are doing just fine now.

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 08:25:11 AM »
I was dropping off some computers at the local recycling place, and there was a 65 inch Mitsubishi projection TV  with remote there.  I commented that it looked to be in great shape and surprised to see it there.  The label on the back said it was manufactured in April 2007.  The lady running the place that day said that the owner got estimates to get it fixed, but couldn't afford to get the work done on it, so he brought it in.  I asked her what was wrong with it, and she said he told her the lamp was burned out.  It is one of those DLP TV's (same technology as the ceiling mounted projectors found in offices and churches).  I asked her if I can have it if I can fix it, and she said go for it.  If I couldn't fix it she said to bring it back, as the recycling fee had already been paid, and she couldn't locate the guy who dropped it off to refund his $12.75.  So, the lamp cost me $118 all said and done and 5 minutes of my time and now have a 65 inch 1080p High Definition TV!  Had it needed more repairs than just the lamp, the return postage and restocking fee would have been about $40, so I thought it wasn't too big of a gamble.

Glad I went for it!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:50:48 AM by Brian »
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 08:30:28 AM »
Brian, that is huge!!!

Don't know if this counts as recycle but homemade pond vac. 

String algae brush made from a toilet brush, and swimming pool pole. On the other end is a large garage hook and it works to pull in my pots.

Two old Sterlite or Rubbermaid tubs floated by a kid's pool "noodle". There are other ways of installing a lightbulb but I like the automotive drop light better. I put wire screen around the frame under the light bulb incase it gets broken. And the lightbulb is the type that is used outside. I used two plastic tubs to try to achieve a little insulation. If you can't find a tub with a handle, cut holes in the top and put a piece of rope through the holes and make a knot inside. This handle came off a large vacuum cleaner box.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 08:40:56 AM by Esther »

Offline Brian

• Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 08:37:55 AM »
Esther,
I am interested in more photos of your vacuum container, especially the inside.  I was trying to come up with something like that that I could use with a pump and the container would collect all the silt and crud at the bottom rather than going through the pump.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 08:41:53 AM »
UM Brian. Wait a bit. Today is very busy. I'll have to take it apart to get pix.

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
Frogman....I have always enjoyed "figuring" stuff out...should have been an engineer.

Brian...I envy your electronics knowledge...great find.

Esther....just one word...Awesome!!! @O@

Deborah....Shawnee, OK

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 12:43:23 PM »
This is a tub off a vintage washing machine and I added an old graniteware tea kettle that was rusted out.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 01:12:19 PM »
My lands Brian.............what a find!  Unbelievable that people throw away stuff like that.  We have that kind of TV and were told when we bought it that we would need a new lamp every few years.

Offline annsc_29710

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2010, 10:43:53 AM »
Esther can you add tube sizing and details on how to put the wood strips on?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 06:36:18 PM »
Oh I forgot. I've been in the basement all day. Fish didn't even get supper. Neither did DH. I suppose he ate something. Here's something that is totally recycle. It's all made from scraps, old lace, trimmings from other projects, vinyl purchased to recover my kitchen chairs and I kinda over bought, and oak baseboard trimmings from about 10 years ago. The only thing I purchased was a can or paint and I need to get more upholstey tacks to do the king's throne. Otherwise I had everything I needed.

A lady  asked Pete if he would make two thrones for summer kid's club. One was supposed to be larger than the other and more ornate. So Pete made the frame and I covered the legs with lace and sprayed it with gold. Then I added the oak pieces of leftover woodwork and upholstered it and decorated the top for the queen.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »
About 10 years ago we did a major remodel on our living room. DH has a big "hangup" about not putting holes in our oak woodwork or drywall. So I have figured out ways to just use valances made out of the same fabric as the couch and hung with heavy duty Velcro. When I got tired of that, I found maroon lace split panels with a fake valence and hung them on expansion rods. The problem was the 10' patio door, but I managed to rig up real small rods about the size of a pencil---longer though, and then Velcro again.

During the fight to keep the house warm in the winter and block the cold from the windows or the heat in the summer, I decided to buy cheap panels from LTD that have a darker back and are supposed to reflect both the heat and cold. In the effort to figure how to hang the 4 panels on the patio door, I suggested using pipe. So this morning Pete rolls in with a 10' length of 1/2" and also 3/4" copper  and asked which one I wanted to use. The 1/2" sagged a bit in the center. He cut out oak hangers for the ends, drilled a hole in the pipe and also in the hangers just the right size for a nail and we hang the curtains and then put the nails in to keep the pipe from sliding around. He had put up backer up agound the windows before he drywalled because he knew I'd eventually break him down and get him to let me put up curtains.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"