Author Topic: Did you say too many variegated plants Joyce? pics of a few of mine  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
I too love variegation in plant foliage.  It's guaranteed that if I am walking around a nursery I will immediately head to any variegated plant.  In fact, I've bought quite a few with no idea what I was going to do with them.  We are just at the end of the hardscape remodel of our back yard and some of these plants that I've had sitting around for a long time are finally getting into the ground.   When Joyce said the above, I realized that I was probably hitting maximum on how many I could put out there without it looking kind of muddled.  I'll forget I thought that though the next time I see a new one at the nursery.

Here's one that I have no name for but I've put it along the side of the pond.  Since I don't know what it is, I don't know how big it will get but I've left them some room to hopefully spread out. 

Another unknown I'm using for a border in a different area.

A larger bush (also NOID) that I've got anchoring one corner of a bed.

a Schefflera arboricola in a chicken pot.

a cutting I just got of Syngonium podophyllum

I've got half a dozen variegated Sansevieria, most are upstairs but I took pics of a couple that are downstairs this afternoon.

Sansevieria hahni

and another I don't have a name for

a torch ginger, the bloom in the pic is from a non-variegated torch ginger, I think the variegated one will have a pink bloom.

and a common pothos, Epipremnum aureum, which is called teléfono in Spanish. 

Joyce or anyone, if you recognize any of the plant I don't have a name for I'd love to know the name.  Also, if I have any names wrong please tell me. 

Offline Missa

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Did you say too many variegated plants Joyce? pics of a few of mine
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 04:52:36 PM »
I like the Syngonium podophyllum .... well, I like them all.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
That's a fantastic collection of variegated plants. I like them especially against solid green.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
I have no idea what that first one is at the moment.   :-\
There is a bell ringing somewhere in the back of my chemo brain so it may suddenly ring a lot louder or fade away. I will let you know.  ;)

The second one I believe is Duranta erecta 'Gold Edge'.  :)

Great collection. I am so addicted, And Steve is right. They look best with a green backdrop. The darker, the better. Try some dark or black foliage plants mixed in too.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
The plants are beautiful...but I really love that chicken pot.   8-)~

Offline Jonna

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Blah... blah... blah... Ginger!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:24:16 PM »
I googled Duranta erecta 'Gold Edge' and I think you have it again Joyce.   O0  Another plant that can cause allergic reactions, I've got a mine field going out in back  lol    I see that it can get a lot larger than I want but also that it does well with trimming so I'll have to keep an eye on it and shape it.  I have 3 of them in front of a large bed of smaller heliconia and ginger and there is a large bed of several different kinds of bananas behind that.  So, lots of green foliage in back once it grows in. 

Sue, I love those chickens too.  There is one village here in southern Mexico that is famous for making those chickens.  We were there in the RV several years ago and I got 3 or 4 of them.  I gave most of them away back in Calif but kept this one.  The other chicken planter I have is also from that town but I found it at a flea market, it has lost all of its paint but I love it too.  They all have that kind of surprised look.   

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
I love variegated plants too and Steve is right about planting them next to greens, and Joyce's idea of black/dark foliage.  I love the variegated torch ginger! 
I like the chicken pot too.  Great history of the pot.

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »
Love the ginger!  o(:-)

Another way to deal with an excess of variegated plants is to add a third color. I really like three color variegates... green and white/yellow, with pink or purple.
I have a triple variegated bougainvillea "Raspberry Ice"...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"