Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Snake
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:47:18 AM »
I'm really a garden nut that got into water gardening because  @O@ more plants!!  Do have a 100 gal poly stock tank that I keep goldfish in...have had this setup 8 years.  Last year was the first year I notice my snake problem.  Killed 4, one that had 3 fish in his gut!!!  Well a rather large beautiful brown snake has started visiting most evenings.  My fish population has gone from 13 or 14 to 5 o(.  I've tried Snake Away with no luck.  The snake is not a viper so I hate to kill it...probably a rat snake or chicken snake.  Any ideas?????

Has anyone had luck with:
Sulphur?
Cinnamon?
Moth balls?
One farm supply that was out of snake away offer those suggestions.

Deborah....Shawnee, OK

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Snake
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:57:02 AM »
Sorry I can't help, but my husband pulled a dead baby garden snake out of the waterfall skimmer a few weeks ago.  We have a bottom drain - I never even saw it in the pond!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 12:17:39 PM »
Well when we first started ponding I was deathly afraid of snakes...I used moth balls for a few years--but, what I have found the most helpful is just raising the tanks off the ground that have small fish....the only in ground ponds I have -Have koi in them which are just way to big for a snake to tackle...the goldies I have raised ponds for...I know the snakes can still get into the tanks but, I have only found one in any of my above ground tanks in the 6 years that I've had them...also have heard that bunched up netting layed around the pond will help--but, I personally don't want to have to untangle a snake out of netting.....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 02:04:14 PM »
This may sound kind of goofy but here goes:  is there any way to catch a snake and relocate it?  I mean a couple of miles?  Is it used to your comings and goings:  like being out there with a net and netting it and driving it off in the car?  With someone else's help of course... ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Sunbeam56

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 02:18:24 PM »
A small yappy-type dog, or a large cat.  O0

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
This may sound kind of goofy but here goes:  is there any way to catch a snake and relocate it?  I mean a couple of miles?  Is it used to your comings and goings:  like being out there with a net and netting it and driving it off in the car?  With someone else's help of course... ::)

I was thinking the same thing..catch & relocate it ...

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
I'm sure you could---problem is catching them and the only way I know of is with the wadded netting...then you have to figure out how to get them loose with out getting bit--remember even if they are not poisonous a snake has lots of bacteria in their mouth and you can get a nasty infection from a bite...not to mention I just can't imagine being bit by ANY snake--gives me the ebby jeebies...
Lawanna
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 04:09:27 AM by tranquility »

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:55 PM »
I know Lawanna, me too -- ICK!  I'd have on some leather gloves to remove the snake from the netting. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline moondivatx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
It's just me....no help.  I do have some bird netting, I'll give that a shot.  For tonight I put the bedding that the  3 abandoned kittens have been sleeping and "other stuff" one...Maybe that will stink enough to send it along. :o  Rather wicked!!!!

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »
Don't know for sure, but I guess a blanket smelling like baby kitties would be a dinner bell for a snake.

IMO, snakes may be 'good' and eat rodents, but like the Mint I once planted in my herb garden but still am digging out everywhere on my entire property 15 years later, a 'good' thing is a 'bad' thing in the wrong place. This snake went to the dark side when it chose your fish over field mice. Now it is merely a weed that slithers.

Google how to build a snake trap. One is a box with nails/spikes angled towards the inside of the box with a strip of carpeting over the open door and over the spikes to make it comfortable for the smake to go inside. Once in, they won't crawl back over the sharp points. It's the same principle as the spikes under the "Do not enter! Severe tire damage." signs in a parking lot.

But then what? Around here, relocating any wild creature is illegal. The bottom line: You trap it, you (or a licensed exterminator) must kill it. And people who live in the country can attest that they don't appreciate city folk's dumping their pests on them.

What I would do if I found a snake in the trap: Close the door of the box and drop it in a trash can filled with water, put the lid on the can and walk away. Or skip the box, channel your inner Mr. McGregor and get a sharp hoe.

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:40:23 AM »
Deborah--I fogot to say..One the snake away---open the jug and take a wiff--it smell just like moth balls  {:-P;;...
Lawanna

Offline moondivatx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:55:38 AM »
Well I don't know if it was just full from the night before or the fact I cut it's tail off with a shovel while trying to send it into the snakey-hereafter  ::) or the smell of kitty poo but it did not visit last night.  Since it doesn't have a tail, if I see it I'll know it's the guilty one and send it on into the hereafter. 

I agree...snakes have their place in the food chain...but my  o( change their position...hoe or shovel they are gone.

I have several snakes around that I see almost weekly...but with the tail missing, I'll know the guilty party.  {-).

Thanks for all your help...I'm handy but the snake trap...I don't think I can go there.  Leave it alone or kill it.  That's really the options now.

Lawanne...I'll get some mothballs when I go into town.

Blessings,  Deborah...Shawnee, OK

Offline moondivatx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 09:33:15 AM »
Well the kittens got litter trained and stopped going on their bedding.  The very first night I didn't have a dirty towel to put out by the pond the snake returned...that was Sunday.  She got 2 of the remaining 5 fish.  Returned Monday night and I caught her out there yesterday.  She remembered me from when I cut her tail off and left the pond but not the area.  I got a chance and killled her.  So hopefully the problem is solved.

I did learn that snakes definitely do not like the smell of cat poop!!!  8)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 01:26:34 PM »
I know it is a sad thing but 7 have been killed here this year. 4 got trapped in our nets, Three more were in our straw. My husband hates snakes.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 02:25:47 PM »
You did the right thing when you sent it to the hereafter. After all, those little fish
are contained in something, they cannot run, just sitting there waiting to be dinner
for Mr. Snake. NO, not in my opinion.   Anyways RIGHT-ON!!  I'm like Vickie's husband,
can't stand the thought of a snake.

Marie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"