Author Topic: Building my first pond need help!  (Read 3429 times)

Offline TXcowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Building my first pond need help!
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:50:44 AM »
I am a big fat newbie at ponds and I am building one in my mom's back yard that I plain on putting some fancy goldfish in. 

I have had some goldfish in a tank for a while and really enjoy them I also am part of a goldfish forum (goldfish paradise) but when I started seeing pictures of people's big ponds with goldfish in them I couldnt help but want to build one and keep some goldfish in it  ;D this is kind of a really blunt picture of what I would like to design.  But I am not sure where to put all of the pipeing and stuff for the waterfall and the filtration system???  Also if you have any suggestions on how to make the design of it better I would really appretiate it  (8:-)  I know with newbies in anything they are bound to make newbie mistakes so I figured this might be a good site to help me in trying to prevent that  ;)

« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 07:56:20 AM by TXcowgirl »

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Building my first pond need help!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 09:57:58 AM »
Looks like you are off to a great start.  One suggestion to consider is to draw water for your waterfall from the opposite side of the pond.  The purpose for this is to assist with water circulation turnover and oxygenation of the water.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »
Be fore warned. Ponding is addictive. You just have to start with a small pond and before you know it, you have the Great Lakes in your back yardand those fake lily pads will become real lily pads. (8:-)

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:29:03 PM »
Scott & Mike gave you great advice.
The fake pads will be real ones soo, I can guarantee that!

You might want to consider the prevailing wind direction.  Blowing toward a skimmer is good.
The falls will drive debris toward the skimmer as well.
You may want to post this under ponding too.  I think you will get more replies.
Welcome!!!!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 04:52:21 PM »
See the updated version of your diagram with some suggestions to help you succeed. Just outside of Austin is a great water garden source for knowledge, plants etc.
It is called Hill Country Water Gardens. They are in Cedar Park. Here is their website address.
http://www.hillcountrywatergardens.com/
I live in Houston. I have gone and bought products from them as well as had plants mailed to me from them. They are really nice people and helpful as well.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 10:50:28 AM »
I realize you are making a goldfish pond, but with that said you should seriously consider a bottom drain. Plants alone create a great deal of decomposing yuk, in time it will get thick enough to become anaerobic—not good. The only way to clean it is to get it off the bottom. You wouldn't want to clean your bathtub without a bottom drain... Draining your pond annually is not a good way to clean the pond, but a constant cycling of the crud into the filter is best for everyone.

Ideally you run your bottom drain to a mechanical filtration device. The field is wide open to what kind, some are much less maintenance than others, vortex filters in contrast to a brushes or mat filled unit. Water goes into bottom drain and mechanical filter by gravity feed. Then the water is pumped with an external pump after the mechanical filter and pumped up to your falls filter which is usually a biofilter unit.

A skimmer down wind and preferably at the other end from the falls is a good thing to have as well.

On your picture, you want the little rocks that are under the big top rocks to be in the water some—that way you liner isn't exposed to sun or visually distracting.

Here are some projects to look at for a do it yourselfer... Take your time, do the research, and don't fall for the Aquascapes sales pitch...

Koiphen DIY various types: http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38259

In order to see the pictures which are truly worth thousands of words you need to join @ koiphen.com (link above) no more painful than joining Americanponders...

Stock tank filter: http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg1.htm

Barrel filters: http://www.koipondcentral.com/articles/sub/barrel_How_To.htm

Rubbermaid filters: http://www.catson4ponds.com/FilterOverview.html

filter info: http://www.koiboard.com/index.htm

Vortex micro screen: http://www.koiboard.com/koi/mechanicalfiltration/microstrainer.htm

Offline TXcowgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:06:42 PM »
thanks Timgod!! I really apreciate your help!!  ;D I will have to go check that place out this weekend! :D

and rocmon I am already a part of that site so I will deffinetly check it out  o(

thank yall so much!! (i am so new to this I really a need the help  ;))

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:04:16 PM »
I agree with the bottom drains.  I will be building some goldie ponds this spring (so the  >:(- mink can't get them like they did a few weeks ago) and they (ACK! I said a plural word..like their will be more than one!!) will all have at least one bottom drain.  It keeps the pond so much cleaner.  Cleaner ponds are healthier fish.  Old adage, Keep the water and it will keep the fish.
Mary

Offline TXcowgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 06:29:04 AM »
thanks frloplady!  I will deffinetly look into putting a bottom drain in.

>:(- My mom wants me to buy one of those allready built ponds from HomeDepo  >:(

I was really wanting to build it all!!  :'(  .....I guess I will have to wait until I have a backyard of my own  :-\

So I am now just basicaly going to dig a hole in the ground for this allready made 165 gallon pond.  But I will still be able to build the waterfall and filter!  @O@ (she hasnt seen the already made ones  ;) :-)~

She said she wants the best after I showed her examples of pictures of completely DIY ponds.   >:( I thought they looked cool but....oh well...

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 05:18:08 PM »
If she wants the best, HD is no place to get a preform. If there is a Lowes in your area, take her to look at the preforms there. Lowes sells the Flotec brand and they are thicker than what HD sells. I have three Flotec preforms but they are not set up right now. The smaller one was my plant filter when I had them set up and never had green water.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 08:44:33 PM »
Rachel,
Did you get a chance to check out Hill Country? I'm not sure how great it will be this time of year as the lilies are mostly in the greenhouse but definitely check them out in the spring.

Next summer if you are bored and looking for something to do, consider a day trip to San Angelo. It's about 4 hours west of you. Ken Landon lives there and grows out fabulous lilies in the city civic league park. He is the keeper of the largest collection of lily seeds, tissues and plants in the world. He puts on a show that is jaw dropping especially in the early fall. If you get a chance to see that I promise you will be hooked.

Tim

Offline TXcowgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 11:52:11 AM »
timgod I am actually going right now lol!!  :D 

I have heard of that guy and I am joining a pond club in austin that goes there every year  ;D

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
Let me know if they still have a good variety of lilies now. I actually would not expect a large variety but I have not been keeping up with your local temps. We are in the 70s today but were having highs a week ago in the 50s.
Tim

Offline TXcowgirl

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 06:37:01 PM »
Well I just got back from north austin (I went to the water garden and then lake line mall for christmas shopping) and there were some really nice people that worked there that showed me what I needed and everything for the pond! Then they told me how to get started and come back to them for filtration equipment and decide what lilies I can get.  :)

I am so happy that you told me about the place timgod, they were really helpfull with all my questions  ;D

Well I convinced my mom to let me totally build the pond rather then get preshaped liner. (I told her all the bad things that the people at the water gardens told me about them)  ;)

They had some of lilly pads out but a lot were dying or dead looking.  But I didnt really go into their greenhouse so they may have some in there because a lot of their lilly pad ponds where empty with nothing in them.  :-\

Well! Guess its time to start digging!!  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 08:15:59 AM »
A  great thread!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Timgod

• Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 09:08:44 AM »
See when you were a little girl your mother probably warned you to stay away from people who offered you drugs because they wanted to get you hooked..... {:-P;;

Well now you are officially "hooked" on Water Gardening.  O0

But since it relaxes you and helps the environment it is one of the most beneficial vices you can have.

Tim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"