Author Topic: beginning koi keeper feeding question  (Read 2585 times)

Offline jennyb5149

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
beginning koi keeper feeding question
« on: June 10, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
I just got my pond going and have introduced 3 koi and 2 shubunkins.  Everyone appears happy and healthy and eating fairly well.

I would eventually like to get my koi to learn to eat out of my hand.  But, right now, they won't eat when I'm anywhere near the pond.  I think shadows are spooking them.  I have to throw their food and step back.  It will usually take them anywhere from one minute to 5 minutes to start feeding after the first food is thrown to them.  Then, they will eat very slowly, seeming skittish about coming to the surface to eat another bit.  I tried flakes hoping that as they sank, they'd feel more comfortable eating them but they want NOTHING to do with the flakes.

How long will they behave like this?  Is there anything I can do to help encourage them to eat in front of me.  I have seen nothing that even begins to resemble a feeding frenzy in my pond much less ever having hope that they will eat from my hand - or even near me for that matter.

Thanks for your input!

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: beginning koi keeper feeding question
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:32 AM »
They need to get used to you.  Some of mine took two seasons to not run scared when they saw me.  Now they swarm when I walk by... poor starving fishies  ::)

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: beginning koi keeper feeding question
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 08:02:24 PM »
I agree -- it can take a loooong time. It took a couple of years until one hungry chagoi (reputed to be a more friendly variety) led the school of scaredy-koi to me. Now they follow me around, which cracks me up. I don;t hand feed, BTW, because I was concerned it might make them too friendly with raccoons. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"