Author Topic: Painted turtle just moved in  (Read 1448 times)

Offline nokwes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Painted turtle just moved in
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:15 PM »
Hi, a painted turtle just moved in and I am worried about my koi, will he eat them?  Thanks Jackie

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Painted turtle just moved in
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
I have 2 painted turtles that moved in and they regularly visit both the koi/lotus pond and the front pond which is just lilies, no fish.
My koi are really big and do nothing but taunt the turtles when they are swimming around trying to eat as many koi food pellets as possible.
I have heard horror stories though, but no problem in my pond except for the turtles being picked on by the big koi.  8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
we have little sliders come in every spring but, usually go back to the creek come fall..I've always been told they carry parasites and I'm sure they may...but, we've never had any problems with them..I did have one that stayed around for a few years...I named him and would take him into the greenhouse pond for the winter and somehow he always found his way back to the outside ponds during the spring...he would go from pond to pond--I'd never know where I was going to find him..he ate koi food right there  beside the koi....but, the last year he got to where he was tormenting my big asagi female by nipping at her fins and I was afraid he would do damage to them---only her and no one else--so i did have to relocate him to a local pond..Just watch him and see how he is acting with the fish...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 03:38:44 PM »
I don't have an answer for you.  Everytime a painted turtle shows up in my pond, it's gone in a day or so.

Just wanted to say   :welcome:

Karen

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:14:11 PM »
How big is the turtle and how big are your fish?

Offline nokwes

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:42:08 AM »
Thank you for your responses, we were just scared when we saw him heading across the yard and jump into my pond.  We were on our way out but we saw him climb back out and head away from the pond.  We have a fenced in yard and we thought he might not know how to get back out.  But this morning my husband saw him again in the pond.  He is a good size 6 - 7 inches across.  My fish are small to 10 inches.  I have about a dozen.  I think he is okay in there for now.  We will watch him and see how he acts, ready to relocate him to a nearby farm pond if we have to.  The grandkids are excited about coming out and seeing him.   Right now he looks like he is enjoying the pond.  Later Jackie

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »
Painted Turtles are some that I would like to find a pair of. I have Red-eared Sliders and Yellow-bellied Sliders. I would also like to add a pair of Common Snapping Turtles to my collection. Turtles are fun and they are pretty smart as well.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
Snapping turtles? Yikes   You will end up with some parts of your fingers missing.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
Nope. Won't lose a single bit of skin. I've had baby snapping turtles before. Just couldn't keep them where I was at. ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
It's not the baby snappers that I'd be worried about Scott, it's the big whopping 35 pounders!  You'll need a pond the size of Turtlemike's and then I wouldn't go swimming in there at all.  Missing toes and fingers   :o  I've seen mallard ducks floating thinking they were 'tipping' when there was only a body there no head:  gone from a snapper.  I like turtles, and snappers, but not in MY pond... 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"