Author Topic: Osmocote??  (Read 5823 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Osmocote??
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »
Sometimes people have more time than money.

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »
I am growing hardy w.lilies only since 3 years and try to learn as much possible from other members here. But I have a nature to try somethings radical on my own, always, and see what happens with my eyes. This I cannot stop and I like my way:))

After reading lots of confusing information on with what to fertilize, this year I also did an extreme action and used N-P-K   18-46-0 with 21 pots of mine and each of them I have added over doses.
This combination is used here by farmers to get strong wheat with full grains.

The result is; too many large blooms and large leaves much much over compared to previous 2 years when I used normal balanced N-P-K. The pond is completely covered and I am giving in extra air for my koi, which I never did before.

Now this satisfies me but I am not sure if to keep on using the same combination during the coming
heats. This I have to try also.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 08:40:05 AM »
I've been ponding for about 20 years, and I think Sean is right on: use any fertilizer you like, just do it. I am a perfect example of forgetfulness when it comes to fertilization and it aint pretty.

That being said, I've noticed that adding a pond tab every now and then is very beneficial because of the micronutrients. I'm a skeptical person so I'm not 100% sure of anything, but it seems that micronutrients round out the nutrients available to the plants when kept in pots. I do have some lilies that have jumped their pots (I'm lazy) and are perfectly healthy- growing in a clump on the bottom of the pond getting their nutrients directly from the muck and water.

I think this topic is really interesting because I've lately been obsessed with how healthy things are "in the wild". Why are wild cats (cougars, tigers, etc) healthier in the wild than they are in captivity? Nutrition. Why are plants healthier in their native habitat? It is because they have carved out their niche in nature and get all the nutrients they need. We have to correctly nourish our water lilies for the same reason that a zoo has to correctly nourish a cougar.

None of that would be possible without the sun.  :) But what do you think about the micronutrients? Is it that much of an issue? Do any of you notice a difference when you add micronutrients to the equation?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:09 AM »
Great observations, Karen. Thanks for the thoughts!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »
Stuff in the wild does not rely on us humans to give it what it needs. They have a "built in" ability to seek out what is best. In order for our little bit of "nature" to be "natural" we have to study that in the wild and try to copy it for best results.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
I don't see that anyone is specifically promoting Osmocote. Its a large, well known brand. For me here locally its the only brand of time-release. Stores used to carry other brands but now they don't so Osmocote is it.
I personally don't use it. I tried it since so many raved about it. Repotted in the fall of 2008 and used Osmocote. I had a horrible bloom season last summer with the exception of several lilies that I did not repot and continued to use tomato spikes on.
The theory on the Osmocote was that I don't have consistently warm enough water temps for the fertilizer to adequately release. I went back to using the tomato spikes this year.
Use what works best for your pond and its environment. Its really not about advertising.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Karen, what's the difference between "fertelizer" and "micronutrients?" 

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 04:13:46 PM »
Karen, what's the difference between "fertelizer" and "micronutrients?" 

Julles, I was going to hack my way through a poorly written explanation when I decided to simply steal the explanation from the AgSafe agri-tabs website.  ;) :D

"The most widely used pond plant food tablet to feed waterlilies and all types of flowering pond plants. Unlike other pond tablets that feed for only two weeks - AgSafe Aquatic-Tabs® provide initial quick-release nutrients and consistent time-release nutrients to insure proper growth and longer lasting blooms for 30-45 days.

Special 10-20-10 fertilizer formulation contains micronutrients, humus, organics, sea kelp extracts, 76 trace minerals, natural plant growth hormones & vitamins, and mycorrhizae. No more hassles of getting wet every two weeks to feed your plants. A Copper-Free Tablet that is Fish and Aquatic Life Safe."

That was what I used to use before I "discovered" the cote fertilizers. It's pretty darn expensive.  :(
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 04:42:33 PM »
I still don't 100% understand.  I guess they're saying that some fertilizers contain micronutrients, and some don't, and those that do have the additional "goodies" make for a better fertilizer ??

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:08 PM »
Jules  The difference is using a product designed for water plants, complete with the
micronutrients that they need. 

I agree, we all should use exactly what we want to.  Not have some particular brand
pushed down our throats by anyone. After all, it's our house and our lilies!!!!

I myself am inclined to listen to the more experienced water gardeners, not someone
who just has a preformed and a tub at home and happens to be employed at a place
that has a water garden, that's doesn't belong to that person.   Experience counts,
like the lady that used the product with middle number 46, and what her experience
was.   Makes us think, a post like that!!!  That's kind of post we need, not use brand
"X"  There is no other, I use it, so you must too!!! 

Marie

Offline HOWELL

• Members
  • With us since: 15/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 05:50:40 PM »
Jules  The difference is using a product designed for water plants, complete with the
micronutrients that they need. 

I agree, we all should use exactly what we want to.  Not have some particular brand
pushed down our throats by anyone. After all, it's our house and our lilies!!!!

I myself am inclined to listen to the more experienced water gardeners, not someone
who just has a preformed and a tub at home and happens to be employed at a place
that has a water garden, that's doesn't belong to that person.   Experience counts,
like the lady that used the product with middle number 46, and what her experience
was.   Makes us think, a post like that!!!  That's kind of post we need, not use brand
"X"  There is no other, I use it, so you must too!!! 

Marie

I think that even if they push you around and tell you to get them you still have the freedom to go and buy what you want, nobody was trying to go with you and see that you were getting that stuff, so I still cannot see why people get so mad about someone saying that they use so and so, even if they say it over and over again.
Scott I'll miss you buddy... :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"