Author Topic: Tons of tiny wiggly things?  (Read 2034 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Tons of tiny wiggly things?
« on: June 11, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
My husband pointed out tons and tons of teensy tiny black wiggly things on the waterfall rocks today when he shut off the flow to clean the filters.  I have never seen them before and can't imagine what they are?  They seem to stay on the waterfall rocks whether the water is flowing or not?  I won't be home tomorrow, and if it's not raining on Sunday I will try and get a picture, but they are very small.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline Rocmon

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Tons of tiny wiggly things?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
I have those also in mid spring. I think they are gnat larvae. The damsel fly nymphs hunt them down for lunch.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:03 PM »
There is a stream running on the edge of one of our properties. I have worked in that stream for hours cleaning it up and saw those same little things. They are attached at one end and the other end just kinda waves in the flow. I don't know what they are but somewhere along the line they disappeared so I assumed they were also some kind of pre hatching larvae.  I think they weren't leeches because I never had one attach to me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:40:00 AM by Esther »

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:08:06 AM »
I had them too. I looked them up online and the closest I could find was leaches.  I don't know how they would have gotten in my pond though.  I put those rocks in the pond and the koi ate them all gone. They loved them!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:15:24 AM »
Well the ones I saw were attached at one end like a leech would be so maybe they were juvenile ones. This stream dries up at times in a hot dry summer so I doubt they could survive. Wonder if baby leeches do that until they are large enough to survive.

I just Googled leech and came up with this Youtube video about an almost disastrous leech bite (tongue in cheek).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpaykCHQJmE
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 10:40:41 AM by Esther »

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
Are they blood worms?

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
The blood worms I've seen are the red ones and Lynne said black ones so doesn't sound like them. Besides do the blood worms attach to rocks? The ones I've seen have been in the filter media.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:43:52 PM »
not real sure....

I just noticed my temp thingy on here...its totally wrong...

its 92 outside and feels like 102, windy, cloudy, sunny etc...lol....I think its just off a few degrees huh.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »
LOL 78, don't you wish?

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Thanks for all the responses!  A google search tonight showed that they are black fly larvae.  The pictures look just like what we have and the explanations are on the spot too!

Black flies live as larvae in shallow, clear, fast-running water in rivers and streams. The black, spindle-shaped larvae live on the stream bottom attached to rocks and other submerged objects and feed on tiny bits of organic matter, algae and protozoa. Larvae transform in the water to adult flies that rise to the water surface in a bubble of gas. The adult flies are usually present for about 3 weeks before they die. The adult Black Flies are not known to bother humans out west, unlike their northeastern US relatives.

Of course I live in the northeast, where the black flies are very bothersome, and as someone else wrote... they get in my eyes and ears, etc!  I also read that the best way to get rid of them is to scrape them off the rocks into a container and then put them in the pond for the fish to eat.  I really don't see myself scraping them off the rocks - EWWWWW!  {nono} Is there any other way to get rid of them without harming the fish?

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:48:01 PM »
interesting! That's exactly what I had.  Are you able to move those rocks that they are on?  Like I said, I picked up the whole rock and moved it to a part of the pond where the fish could get to it and I could still pull it back out. They ate them all gone in a matter of minutes.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »
My husband permanently attached those rocks when he built the waterfall, so they cannot be moved.  I told him what I found online last night, and he said he'll probably have to powerwash the rocks then, hoping that the water from the powerwash will force them down into the pond for the fish to eat.

Now that I know they are black fly larvae I want them off as soon as possible!  I seem to be a magnet for those flies!  I can be standing in a circle of people, and the flies only attack me - something in my chemistry! :P

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 09:00:06 AM »
I read on another site about a guy who has these every year. He says they eat all the string algea then are gone till next year. Sounds like somewhat of a good trade off except for the bites later.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 09:11:39 AM »
Well... we still have tons of string algae - even on the waterfall rocks where these buggers are - it's growing faster than they can eat it! {nono}

Offline Sandyd

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
Take a brush (Toilet bowl / stiff broom)  and swish the tops of the rocks in the stream.  Your fish will zoom over to the falls and eat them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"