Author Topic: Built A Deer-Scarer (Shishi Odoshi)  (Read 947 times)

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Built A Deer-Scarer (Shishi Odoshi)
« on: June 13, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »
Built this a few weeks ago, hoping it will keep away the heron that ate my "rescue koi" and about 10 goldies...  No attacks since then on my one other "rescue koi" and what's left of the other GF...  I cut a bamboo shaft in two to provide a trough from my waterfall to the bamboo chunk that swivels and dumps the water into the pond...  Everything is over the pond, so if it malfunctions, it won't empty the pond... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMYHokkqeaY

Video taken with an Iphone, so quality is so-so...

Dave
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:33:24 PM by finnpond »

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Built A Deer-Scarer (Shishi Odoshi)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
Love it. I've been wanting to build one for quite a while but in Michigan we don't have much bamboo. LOL. I found several styles and have saved the pictures. I guess I don't really need one but just wanted the challenge of doing it.

You didn't happen to take pictures as you went along, did you? Could you put together a tutorial for us and put it on the tutorial side?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »
How does it work?  Noise and movement scare the deer?  How big is it?  What makes it move?  Will it work on heron?

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »
Howdy...

Yep, I think that's the idea... Sound and Movement...  It has actually startled me because the water when it is dumped into the pond is kinda like pouring a quart of water from a foot high into a bathtub, and then when the bamboo swivel piece hits the rock on the back stroke, it definitely makes a "TOCK" sound that will get your attention... This one is about 2.5 feet high because I have it inside my liner with rocks wedging the upright H-frame into place on the plant ledge, the piece of bamboo that collects the water and dumps it is a little over 2 feet long...  The bamboo stalk I split in half is probably 6 feet long...  Google Shishi Odoshi and there are alot of different ones... Some use small fountain pumps to deliver the water, but since I have the moving water source in my waterfall, I used that...  They come in all sizes...

There is a membrane at the nodes of a bamboo stalk that will hold water, and that is what is filling up and causing the swivel piece to become top-heavy and dump the water....  You just have to find the balance spot to insert the pivot piece of small bamboo...

Not sure if it will work on deer or heron, but I am willing to try anything, short of shooting them... LOL...

Take Care... Dave

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"