Author Topic: TurtleMike --suggestions on small hardies?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
TurtleMike --suggestions on small hardies?
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »
Hi TurtleMike,

Got any suggestions on small hardy water lilies that bloom great, stay compact, & as far as you know won't get crispy in hot temps?

Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:55:10 AM by Kat »
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: TurtleMike --suggestions on small hardies
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:22:17 PM »
<pulls up chair and waits for the answer>
Bryan

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
Enters room and plops on couch to join BB & Kat.  :search:

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
knock knock....I need one of those, will one of you ladies toss me a pillow ;)
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Re: TurtleMike --suggestions on small hardies?
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:09 AM »
I hope that y'all had your PJ's.  lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:29 AM »
PJ's & snacks ... made a movie night out of it  ;D ;D
Kat

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 07:41:01 AM »

Alright you guys. I'm very busy these days so it might take me a while to get to you.

I really don't have many small plants so I'm not really a very good source for the answer to your question but I will tell you what I do know.
  There are small plants that will stay small no mater what and there are plants that will adapt to their container very well and stay small in a small pot with limited fertilizer and still flower well.  Many medium size plants will stop blooming if they don't get enough fertilizer even though they might stay small in a small pot and of course a huge plant like Mayla might be ruled out for bonzaing, if that’s a word, just because it's big to begin with and would jump the pot quickly.

Of the commercially grown plants that I have that are known to be small I would rate Perry's Baby red near the top.
  It is not only genetically small but it is highly adaptable to a bonsai situation and is just great. On the bottom of the list I would have to put Chrysantha. It is a rapid producer of tons of dormant crowns and even in a mud pond it almost never flowers. I really do like Ladekery Fulgens. It is very slow to grow but seems to do well in a bed with low fertility.

There are so many small plants that I don’t have and the ones that I do have, because they are small just sit back in the spike rush and I really don’t know them well enough to give a good opinion on them.  I like Vesuve and I think it is supposed to be small.  Also Colorado.   I'm not sure what the definition of small is exactly but I think Colorado in a small pot would qualify.

At the risk of sounding like I'm always pushing my own plants I have a few that I really like that stay under 2 ft dia. in very fertile big pot conditions but I don’t know how well they would do in bonsai conditions because I have never grown them like that but I do know that they are genetically very small.

The first pic is Hunnycup. Nearly the whole plant is visible in this pic. Only about three old dieing leaves are not visible in The lower right.  Very controlled growth and slow to make offsets.  No more than 2 ft across.

The next two are 57,06, no name yet.  A pretty amazing plant actually and I don't think I have shown this one before.
  The plant is the same size as Hunnycup but the flower is HUGE for such a small plant.  It's a not bad run of the mill light pink color and it fades very little.  I have not measured the flower but I guess that it is 6-7 inches in dia at it’s biggest and the flowers are never under 5 inches.  It has lots of petals and an extremely high flower to leaf ratio.
I have very few plants of this so far because it's such a slow divider and I haven't had time to work on it but I think a bed of it would be spectacular.

Another run of the mill pink colored flower similar to Colorado in that it starts the year a nice salmon pink that fades to a very light, not to attractive pink as the year progresses.  I like it though because it is a 6 inch flower with the thinest petals of any lily I know of on a very small plant with very few leaves that show more water and are more leggy than Hunnycup or 57,06 but less leaf surface area per flower volume I would say.  I have no idea how well it bonsais but it does very well in crowded conditions and just keeps on flowering.  The leaves are thin and flexible like Colorado leaves and very lightly marbled when young like Colorado.

All three of these plants are being tested in Texas this year so I will have more info later on how they like the heat.
So far according to Ken Landon all of my plants stand the acid test in blazing hot 105 degree west Texas heat, Flowers " as big as dinner plates " in 2 gallon pots, and I expect that these will also.

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:43 AM »
Thanks for the input Mike.  Looking forward to when you've got Hunnycup available for purchase.
Kat

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 09:33:57 AM »
Mike- whats wrong with pushing your plants....You should be very proud of your lilies I know they take alot of work to get something worth your while of growing out and possibly selling...

Not sure if you guys have thought of Walter pagels--I have one and it is by far my best mini..I've had mine for years and I would never think of phasing out of my collection..blooms quite well, small growth, and tuff as nails....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
beautiful! I love hunnycup!

Offline turtlemike

• Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »

Thanks lawanna. I'll have to add Walter Pagels to my want list.  Also since you don't mind me advertizing my plants and for your info, Sunfire does great in a one gallon pot and stays around two and a half ft dia with 6-7 inch flowers.

The pic is six Sunfires in one gallon pots.   You saw these the other day Tinkster, they look like this every day.
 Actualy I'm learning that Sunfire blooms better with less fertilizer and too much makes the flowers huge but the leaf production gets a little out of hand.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 04:49:18 PM »
This will be worth the wait. We will be there when they are released.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
Turtlemike, you are not pushing your own stuff- you are legitimately pursuing just reward for your hard work! They are all so beautiful.

I also second Perry's Baby Red and Walter Pagels. They're what I call "well behaved" lilies. Helvola is another great small one, as is Joanne Pring and Pygmea. I have Indiana and Aurora, both pretty small, but they don't bloom very well and it's hard to tell which is which. The pads are nicely mottled, though, so they make a great little thing you can stick into a corner or wherever you have empty space.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 07:26:19 PM »
Mike sunfire is gorgeous...but, of course I haven't seen any of your lilies yet that I didn't say that about....can't wait till you start getting some of these on the market....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 01:11:57 AM »
Thanks Mike, today have learned lots of useful info from your posts, also in the other section abt rhizomes.
Your plants are always beautiful, as seen from their pics. You work hard and you get it back. A newbie like me has too much to learn by following you.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 12:12:08 PM »
I live in a small house with a small yard so small plants are very important to me so I can have more of them. ;)

My climate is cool and rainy much of the year and I don't get waterlilies blooming until mid June but we may not have frost until December. I'm very interested in flower performance and small size.

Perry's Baby Red has consistantly been my best performer. I just love it. Probable Cynthia Ann has also done extremely well in a small pond in a small pot and blooms like crazy. ( bought Dollhouse from eBay seller and got this one, showed seller the picture and she said it was Cynthia Ann)

I had Chrysantha for years and it always had nice pads but was a lousy bloomer. Joanne Pring isn't vigorous for me. Walter Pagels is still too new to tell. Helvola was constantly trashed by raccoons so never reached full potential.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 12:16:46 PM »
Thanks Mike and everybody else. . . I have a small pond and am thinking of making the transition to smaller lilies so I can have more different kinds and still see the fish. It is nice to see a list of suggestions to look out for when they are offered for trade next year. . .

BTW Hunnycup is just the bee's knees!
Bryan

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »
Little Sue has been doing well in this 36" tub, about 7 hours of sunlight, & even in our heat she isn't crispy.
Kat

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
I just gotta have one of those Sunfires   O0   8-)~   o(:-)

And that Hunnycup is ?my cup of tea" for sure   {:-P;;

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"