Author Topic: Purple pickerel in bloom  (Read 1729 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Purple pickerel in bloom
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
My last pictures of this new plant for me were in the container pond thread, so I thought I'd start a new one for just this plant.  It's been blooming for a few days now, and getting prettier the more it blooms.

Anyone else want to share pictures of their pickerel?

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Purple pickerel in bloom
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »
I had the purple pickeral and the white pickeral for years, but do not have them anymore. Had to cut back on having so many varieties of plants. They are a pretty bog plant, however. That is a great pic, also..

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:49:45 PM »
love that plant, mine are not blooming yet
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »
I got my first little bloom on my pickerel last week.  Can't wait until it starts to bloom like yours!  o(:-)

Offline carolynm

• Members
  • With us since: 26/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
Here's one of mine - it only had one bloom  (just a young plant) but it sure was pretty!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »
 :'(  I wasn't able to over winter mine the first year, so I haven't replaced it.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 01:23:17 PM »
Sue, I'm surprised you weren't able to overwinter in Texas. Here in St. Louis zone 5/6 mine overwinters fine. In fact, there were 2 small sections I stuck in some pots with other plants that did not get sunk down for winter. These froze over the winter, I was surprised to see them start to sprout last week. Several weeks behind the rest of it, but still very much alive.
Bryan

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »
Here's my first bloom on mine - it's a tiny plant still.  o(:-) I love it though!

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Ugh, I bought one of those, you buy the pkg. It was suppose to have everything in it too! 2 Purple Pickerel, 1 Red Water Lily ,  3 Pink Water Gladioli, 6 Fertilizing tablets, Waterplant soil, And Planting instructions!
END OF STORY, They never did anything, all died :(  So much for Menards Store! >:(-
Tootsie

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 02:43:12 PM »
I think we have all been burned by the pre-packaged pond plant deals. Though I will say I have also had luck with them too. This is where I got my pickerel and my "attraction" water lily.  The trick is to open it at the store and only pick the package that looks like it is trying to start growing. When you get home, throw away the instructions and come here to find out how to plant them. Really, we should just use the exchange here, but there is just something so tempting about a pond plant in a local store. . . sometimes you just have to buy one.
Bryan

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:13 PM »
Yes, you hit the nail Bearb! It was like the pkg. was calling to meeeeeeeeee! Guess I did not want to open up the pkg. and inspect! The picture on the dish just looked so wonderful! Come to think of it, has anyone purchased Pink Gladioli ? Did it bloom?
Tootsie

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »
The trick is to open it at the store and only pick the package that looks like it is trying to start growing. When you get home, throw away the instructions and come here to find out how to plant them.

EXACTLY!!!  I learned the hard way after having to return 2 dead rhyzomes to PetSmart.  Now I insist on them opening the package there.  The one stores insists that I have to pay first, so I do, and then walk back over to the fish department.  I have returned one right then and there as well.  But the one I sent to a friend in Illinois actually had quite a few flower buds on teensy tiny stems already while in the package - that one was a terrific deal!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"