Author Topic: help identify this tropical  (Read 1504 times)

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
help identify this tropical
« on: June 20, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
this is a pic of a tropical I had last year that didnt winter amongst others but I really liked this one and I cant remember the name. sorry the pic is so small but it is the only one I could find

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: help identify this tropical
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:19:43 AM »
It could be any number of blue trops, Ryan. You really need a pic with the pads in it. I'll let some of the others like Marie or Vickie who have more experience with trops answer you if they can. Where did you get it?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 03:05:41 PM »
It is hard to say there are a lot of blues. Maybe Marie has an idea?

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
do you know where you got it from originally?
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
You cannot identify a plant from  a picture, but, you might contact the person you got it from ask them if they recognise it. My guess would be A Director George T. Moore. Here is a pic of my Dir. Moore. You might compare to see if it is what you lost.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
Hi Frank, are you sure you have N. Director George T. Moore?
Mine has amazing provenance and it has deep purple stamens and is much more purple than Blue as displayed in your photo.
I am not doubting you but your photo is off from what I have seen and have as Dir. Moore.

I first thought that the lily in question was Blue Star but I have learned a very long time ago not to try and name a lily from a photo unless you knew the name and just forgot.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »
Hi Sean. The pic is of Dir. George T. Moore, but the camera makes it look bluer than it actually is. I have other pictures, but I used this one because the others were not as clear, and because the pics were in the bright sun, they are even more washed out. The camera I had at the time I took the pic wasn't 100% color accurate. Neither is the camera I have now, but it is closer. Has trouble on yellows for sure.  ;D  I thought the lily reminded me of Dir. Moore with the picture taken by a camera that does not record color precisely. That is part of the problem with trying to identifying plants from pics. Colors are not accurate often on photos, plus they do not show the same on computer screens. For instance, go to http://www.victoriaadventure.org/waterlilies/day_bloomer_galleries/director_moore.html and look at the difference in color say of Sean's pic and John Baron's pic. If you did not know they were the same lily, you might think they were different. If you are looking to replace the lily, going back to the person you obtained the original might be your best chance to get it again. You may want to look at the various lilies of similar coloration and decide on a new one. Otherwise, a guess is just a guess, and it is best just to call it an unidentified lily. Many lilies are simply sold, bought or traded as blue troppical, purple tropical, reed tropical, etc. because the plant is an unnamed hybrid, or the identification has been lost.
Enjoy the unnamed, and lost identities!  ;D

Offline RWinn

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 05:56:03 AM »
thanks for the help I will go to the guy I got it from and see if he knows or has another

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »
Agree with what Sean said, I don't believe you have a Director Moore. Mine is
different than your picture.  The idea of going back to the person you got it from
is a good idea. they may or may  not know, but at least you will have tried.

Marie Fisher

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"