Author Topic: Can you say cheesey?!?  (Read 1992 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Can you say cheesey?!?
« on: June 23, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »
The past few years I have planted orange colored flowers near and around my pond to accentuate the colors of my fish. o(:-)  I call them my "cheesey flowers" ;D because they remind me of different colored cheeses. lol

This is calendula - it's an annual here, but I was thrilled to find some very small seedlings growing early in the season, and moved them to one area.  They are doing quite well and I am thrilled that I didn't have to buy more this year - need to keep the budget lower this year.

This is dwarf cosmos - I didn't know of this variety before, I've only seen the very tall, pink varieties.

And marigolds!  I'm crossing my fingers because I've never been successful with them before.  They usually burn out or all the flower heads get bitten off by the  >:(- woodchuck, which surprises me because animals are supposed to stay away from them due to their pungent scent.

Anyone else have some cheesey flowers to share here? ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:19:35 AM by LynneNY »

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Can you say cheesey?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
I love the dwarf cosmos in orange!  o(:-) I've only had the tall pink ones also.  My favorite "sharp cheddar" in the garden is my Butterfly Weed.  I just took the picture a moment ago and in a couple days it will have bright orange flowers.  8-)~

I heard the same story about Marigolds... but my problem is with bunnies.  It's hard to be mad at those cute little guys, just wish they would stick to the clover in my yard! ::)  Now i only use the Marigolds in the kitchen windowbox.

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »
That is the healthiest butterfly weed I've ever seen!  I was given seeds twice by the same person, but I can't seem to grow them.  It's not for the lack of trying - and very frustrating!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
Beautiful oranges!  Unfortunately my marigolds did not make it from seeds this year because it was too cold.  I usually seed the marigolds around the vege garden.  Think I may have to get out there and shake a few more seeds.  Other than that there isn't much orange here beside the succulents flowering.  Oh, found this one....

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
So pretty Annette!!! O0

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:48:44 PM »
love the oranges!  Been trying to get a butterfly weed to grow and for some reason I cant.  They must be difficult to get started??

TINK

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
love the oranges!  Been trying to get a butterfly weed to grow and for some reason I cant.  They must be difficult to get started??

TINK

Same for me here!

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »
ohhhh Lynn look what i found at Menards yesterday, dwarf cosmos!  @O@  i just had to get me some  {:-P;;

Also a pic of my Butterfly weed now in full bloom  o(:-)  Guess i'll have to save some seeds for everyone.  :D

Love your orange Poppies miguynmkoi!

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 05:21:34 PM »
ohhhh Lynn look what i found at Menards yesterday, dwarf cosmos!  @O@  i just had to get me some  {:-P;;

Also a pic of my Butterfly weed now in full bloom  o(:-)  Guess i'll have to save some seeds for everyone.  :D

Love your orange Poppies miguynmkoi!

Pondering, is your Butterfly weed in full sun? I'm about 38 miles northwest of Chicago (get on Rand and keep goin'  :)) and mine is only just forming buds. It probably gets more shade than it wants. But once July arrives it blooms the entire month. It is a really great plant.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
Hi Karen! Yes it does get alot of sun, i actually thought i lost it this year due to our Border Collie/Cocker setting up her running path around the yard.  >:(-  Just think, if your just getting buds, in about 5 days you'll have cheesy flowers too!   @O@  You certainly do live down the road from me... i used to work at the Zainy Brainy in Deer Park years ago about mid-way between us.  We'll have to get together someday.  O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
Ok Lynne, you got me wondering and noticing the many cheesy color flowers in my garden that I totally forgot about.  It's not a color I readily pick but it is a color of a few plants I love and some only came in the orange color.  I do have clivias in cheesy orange (of course there is the yellow which hasn't bloomed for me in a few years) and the cannas, shown below!

I like your cheesy colored blooms ladies!  :D

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 12:26:10 PM »
Hi Karen! Yes it does get alot of sun, i actually thought i lost it this year due to our Border Collie/Cocker setting up her running path around the yard.  >:(-  Just think, if your just getting buds, in about 5 days you'll have cheesy flowers too!   @O@  You certainly do live down the road from me... i used to work at the Zainy Brainy in Deer Park years ago about mid-way between us.  We'll have to get together someday.  O0

I may have met you without even knowing- we used to shop at Zainy Brainy all the time! What a great store it was.
If your ever near Wauconda give a holler. Have you ever been to Hawthorn Gardens? They have really nice things there. Pricey, but nice.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"