Author Topic: Painting stinks  (Read 1930 times)

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
Painting stinks
« on: December 03, 2006, 09:03:55 PM »
I decided to slap up some paint in the kitchen- just a quick color change. This really stinks.
All I wanted was a cheap can of paint for a change in color (it was ALL white). Of course, my better-half-groom insisted on painting the ceiling (cha-ching). And of course, some light fixtures had to be replaced (cha-ching), and the walls were a mess (must fix!), and we must vent the kitchen properly (cha-ching: stainless steel Island Fan  &-)), and why not change a few things around to make it more functional (major cha-ching)?! All that and still the same old dumb cabinet faces.  :D

So, a few minor (major) changes in the kitchen? Few thousand bucks.
Not spending time with your kids? -Priceless.  :'( >:( :(

I love, love, love those cute little mini-pendant lights...  o(:-) But why does kitchen stuff have to be soooo expensive??? Used to be one or two hundred bucks for an exhaust fan. Now, it's 1,500.00 to 10,000 for an exhaust fan! Yikes, stop the world please.... I'd rather live in a tent.  :o

Sorry about the rant!  (8:-)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Painting stinks
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:15:51 PM »
So, you ran in to the 'snowball home repair' problem, huh? This is pretty much how things go at our house too. There actually is no home repair quick fix according to my husband.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 10:21:18 PM »
 :) I feel your pain........ (8:-)
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:28 AM »
Hi Karen,  It is exactly for this reason that I am still talking about painting the kitchen rather than getting off my duff and actually doing something about it.  :D  Think I'm going to get serious about it in the spring.   ;D  emm

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 06:18:07 AM »
Karen, I totally hear ya! I put 15 gallons of Behr paint into pretty much every surface of our home in the summer of 2005. I'm pretty sure painting was the cause of my repeat injury....

Lowe's is a second home to us and we know pretty much everyone that works there on a first name basis.  :o
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »
emm, that's what I was thinking. It took me nine years of this "thinking".  :D
Don't know what got into me, attempting to do this now with Christmas right around the corner.

Cath, My hubby feels the same as yours. It really is crazy. The previous owner built the kitchen addition himself, and we don't think he knew what he was doing. Eventually the whole thing will need to be redone, but for now I'm trying to concentrate on just doing right with the few improvements that are a must.

But I love having color on the walls now.  O0

Jessica, 15 gallons is a lot of paint! When you say repeat injury, are you referring to Carpal Tunnel or a neck thing? My Carpal tunnel flared up last night, just as expected.
Karen

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »
I HATE painting!  Hate it, hate it, hate it!
I feel your pain...
Tammie
P.S. Tammie - who's master bath still has 2 shower curtains stapled to the shower wall while her hubby and her argue about how the bathroom is going to be redone...

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
Tammie, I had to laugh (sorry), cuz my Sister and her hubby have had the shower curtains on their bath walls too - for fifteen years! They have finally agreed on the tile, so the project should be finished... soon...  ;)
Karen

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:27 PM »
Karen, it was an overuse injury, not necessarily carpal tunnel. I did so much painting that I bought a mobile scaffolding for the job. I was up cutting in the paint line between the ceiling and walls for weeks and would hold a paint brush in the same grip position for like 8 hours a day. Our home is 1418 ft^2, so you can imagine a lot of wall and ceiling space. So what resulted from all of this painting is that the fingers of my right hand would lock up while I was sleeping and hurt to bend in the morning. I would have to take my left hand and actually bend them a few times to "warm them up" enough to bend without assistance. This went on for about a year before healing or at least mostly stopping. If I do extensive repeat things now it flares up for a few days....it's a mess.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with never-ending home projects. Only 5 weeks left to finish up mine though...there's a "Dallas Deadline"!!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Rog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:42:18 PM »
That reminds me of the time when I decided that i need a new countertop.From tile to granite so its not exactly your diy kinda thing so had to hire a contractor.Make a long story short I ended up replacing all my appliances (my wife wanted stainless) refinish the cabinets,paint the walls, wood laminate on the floors,change the sink and faucets and so on.It all paid off tho for I sold that house for $20,000 over the appraised value.chaching! @O@

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 06:37:00 AM »
Rog, check out http://www.diygranite.com.  Some friends used it and said it was pretty easy!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 07:03:19 AM »
I was stunned when I inherited a nice chunk of change from my grandmother. We started out just wanting a new mattress and new carpet for the family room. We ended up with a two-story addition to the house (doubled the size of the family room and added a playroom beneath). It was worth it, though.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 08:06:39 PM »
I feel your pain..... i decided, in October, that the floor in my kitchen just HAD to go.. so what happens? DH and i are using scrapers with razors, to take the GLUED on floor, up, and his skipped the floor and ended up in my thumb!! 6 stitches and 2 months later.. the darned floor isnt up yet and ive decided ill be stripping the cabinets to refinish them...
AFTER the new yr..

terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline karen J

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 08:36:36 PM »
Terri, Ouch! A few words of advice: don't let Hubby use those razor blades on the cabinets...  {nono}... I hope your thumb is better now.

I am DONE! Our walls sucked up the paint like a Caddy sucks gas for lunch, but it's done. 5 gallons for the kitchen alone.  :o

Done, done, done.  @O@ My wrists will thank me for the next few weeks.  (8:-)
Karen

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 09:56:47 PM »
Hubby wont be going NEAR the cabinets... LOL .. thats my project.... But, im still not sure if ill be having him do the floor once the cabinets are done.. but if he is doing the floor, he will be doing it alone! LOL

So glad you are done!  When i painted my entire house last yr, the walls sucked the paint up too.. thank goodness for primer!

Im jealous! but glad you can enjoy the fruits of your labor during the holiday season! lucky you!
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"