Author Topic: Fish death....I need opinions  (Read 3360 times)

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fish death....I need opinions
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »
I've had my pond 9 yrs without a problem.  I had the water tested 2 weeks ago and it was perfect.  I went on vacation last week and yesterday, my last day, I got a call from my kids (20 & 21) that all the fish were dead.  They were sobbing and felt they let me down.  They have experience caring for the fish and have done it many times.  This is what I know.  The day before I left I bought some pond tabs (never have used them)  I think they were old because some disintergrated when I tried to get them in the soil.  The fish were fine on Tuesday and dead Wednesday, all of them.  I had alot of string algae when I left and now its greyish and dead looking.  Do you think I caused an algae bloom which took the oxygen and killed my fish?  Would the string algae die after a bloom?  2 weeks ago the state sprayed for mosquitos,  did my fish die a slow death because of the spray.  There are a few frogs so I'm leaning away from the poison idea.  I'm baffled, the fish werent burned or anything, they looked fine.  Water test fine.  Has anyone had this experience? I'm heartbroken.  12 lg koi and 25 or so wakin, and lots of wakin babies.

Offline sushi

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fish death....I need opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:22 AM »
PS...it's been very hot and humid this past week with some thunderstorms

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
 :'(  I'm sorry, Sushi.  I wish I knew, but just wanted to say sorry...  I hope it gets sorted out.

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 11:21:36 AM »
Thanks, I have no idea what happened. 

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:54 AM »
I am so sorry Sushi. I use pond tabs only, have for years. I have string algae I don't loose fish unless they jump out. Did your electricity go out and come back on after hours of it being off. Where the kids at the house the whole time? I have never had my string algae turn grey. I would be scared of the state spraying close to where I live. I hope you can find the answers.

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »
The only time I ever saw string algae turn gray is once when I used algacide.  Would mosquito spray kill algae?  I'm trying to call them and its constantly busy.

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:08:36 PM »
I just had the spraying too, so I don't think that's it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 12:08:53 PM »
Im so sorry sushi..  no clue what it could have been but I find it odd that all the fish would die at the same time.  Almost seems to be some type of poison.  Cant imagine water changing that drastic that you wouldnd see diasease and fishing dying at different stages???  just some thoughts

tink

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 01:27:56 PM »
I called the people who spray for the mosquitos.  They told me their product kills fish.  My neighbor had them come spray their yard, but didnt move their truck.  We have parrallel driveways and the mosquito truck parked 10 ft from my pond and blasted the poison.  I just had it out with the director who passed me off to someone else, who didnt answer their phone.  They labeled my property a no spray zone, but they sprayed it from my neighbors yard anyway.  I'm so pissed.  They cant guarantee that this wont happen again.  I told him he should spray his pets down with this stuff and see if they live.  He told me not to get nasty, I told him nasty was digging a big hole and throwing my pets in it that I had for 9 years.  I feel like I have no rights to keep my property safe from pesticides.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
I am so sorry Sushi.   :'(  I would imagine that the spray drifted by wind or water run-off from rain right into your pond.  I would imagine you CAN do something about it and most certainly would--degenerates shouldn't be operating those types of chemicals without proper training--and he obviously wasn't trained properly or you wouldn't have dead fish.  Whether you decide to do something is entirely up to you, but you do have a right to keep your property pesticide free if you choose.

Keep us posted... :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
Oh how awlful, I'm so sorry this has happened.  :'( I know if it was me I would  :blowup:.  I know nothing can replace the  o( you lost, but they could at least compensate you to buy more. 

Depends on who was spraying, they might have seen your water and thought that's the main source from lack of knowledge and sprayed it directly.  Not realizing that fish in pond equals no larve.  {nono}

I hope they do compensate something for your loss and aggravation! Its just not right!  >:(

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »
Sounds like they killed your fish to me. oh they would know my name for sure. It would not be the last time they would hear from me. And they might do it again. Oh I would be so mad. I hope you find answers on what you can do so this would not happen again.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
They killed your fish with that mosquito spray.  Oh, I'd raise me some hell. Took you 9
years to train those fish.  I'd try to make them replace the fish. Of course, wouldn't be
same as your babies, not ones you've trained. Take a long time to get new ones to that
point.  I'm very sorry.  Wish it had not happened.  Pondtabs did not do it; like Vickie, I've
used for many many years, no problem.  They don't cause algae either; seems we're just
naturally going to get that occasionally whether we want it or  not.

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement.  Ive been on the phone with 4 different people about this and they are calling in the morning to set up some water testing.  The wanted a fish but I told them I burried them.  After the conversation I found 3 more wakin.  They're in the freezer in case they actually come out.  I AM very pissed off and its starting to sink in that they are all gone.   I get different stories / answers from each one I talk to.  I really dont see this going anywhere.   At the very least, they know I dont want that spray anywhere near my yard.  The thing thats odd to me is all the dead string algae, and all the fish died at once.   And as far as I can tell, no power outages.  We will see what happens. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »
How HORRIBLE!  I'm sorry for you and your kids to have this happen to your pond of fish.  Very sad.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »
Send them a link where they can get you more Wakin, would love to see their face when they see the prices w/shipping.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »
Send them a link where they can get you more Wakin, would love to see their face when they see the prices w/shipping.

Yes, and info about the Koi, too. Sometimes just mentioning the "Lawyer" word is enough to make these ilk wake up.

Sorry about your fish. :(

FWIW, it happened to me once but I was lucky enough to be home when it happened. I did a 30% water change and added a ton of activated carbon to the filtration system. I don't know if you remember Kevin (the pond supply man who passed away), but he used to sell carbon pads specifically made for my mechanical filter. A few more water changes over the course of a couple weeks and no fish death.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 05:22:06 PM »
I would of took the dead fish and took them to the guys office and dumped them somewhere that nobody could see until they started smelling. >:(-
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Esther

• Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:49 PM »
My aunt lived in California and had some huge Koi. They had built a kind of sun roof over the pond and spiders would go up and build webs all over up there. One day when my aunt was gone, my uncle sprayed for the spiders and the next thing they knew, all her fish were dead.

My husband contracted with a company to have them fertilize the lawn. I about had a fit and called that place and CANCELLED the job. I wasn't having them anywhere near the pond with spray, whether it was fertilizer of pesticide.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 06:15:10 PM »
And  at this point you don't know if your water is safe?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 07:17:54 PM »
I'm with Karen j--mention the word 'lawyer' sometimes is enough to make them do the right thing.  Then they have to be bonded or insured I would think, for just these kinds of disasters.  They must have sprayed a butt load of that crap toward your pond to have all your fish die and kill the algae too. 

I wouldn't give up until I was satisfied they understand the magnitude of their mistake:  when you say 'no spray' that's exactly what it means and don't send a moron out with poison and turn him loose on the general public.  Remember sushi--"right makes might".   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 07:43:04 PM »
I'm so sorry about your fish loss. Did they happen to mention what chemical they used?

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 08:31:16 AM »
The inspector is coming Monday after she does some investigating.  She is going to find out if they sprayed that week and what they actually sprayed. She told me it would be instant, not a week later, but there is question if they sprayed that week.  I know I'm not going to get anywhere with these people.  I found 3 more fish and I believe she's having them tested too.  I'm headed out for the weekend, but I'll post after she visits.  Thanks for the support  :)  I'm really bummed about my fish dying, and I know you guys understand.

Offline wags

• Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 04:38:31 PM »
sorry about your fish..I know how you feel ours died too yesterday :'( don't know either what happened..people has ..told us it was the storm but never heard it hit anywhere close by and no bug spraying was done where i live..  the pond is clear and the test good in all catagories..so were puzzled too.. :'(

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 08:48:32 AM »
I'm very sorry for both of you.

Many insecticides are labeled that they kill fish/aquatic invertebrates so I'm sure commercial pesticides would be too.

People never stop and think that they are spraying poison or coating their lawns with it etc. Just because a commercial applicator applies it doesn't mean it isn't still dangerous immediately or down the road.

Herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, algaecides all of them can be and often are abused and all can be very dangerous to people and pets/wildlife.

People don't read the labels and they don't measure carefully. Many think if two tablespoons per gallon is the rate that four tablespoons would kill faster. It doesn't but not reading the labels and over use of chemicals on lawns, gardens etc. is truly a big big problem for the environment and for us. Many of these can cause cancer in people and pets or cause problems that happen faster or even death.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 11:41:31 AM »
So sorry, Sushi.

You won't get far dealing with the city.  And I would consider an outside laboratory - if the city inspects its own employees, you know they are going to decide that they did nothing wrong.  We had a city police horse knock down and trample a woman and kick out many teeth, but the city won't do a danged thing about it.  Many municipalities have rules that they cannot be sued!

But you CAN do SOMEthing.  Call the EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), the state bureau regulating pesticides (pest technicians must be trained and certified in most states, and there are laws regarding what they can apply, how much, etc.), and try your state Fish & Wildlife Dept, or Department of Parks & Wildlife or whatever name they use.  City and State Department of Health & Human Services is another.  The Humane Society or some wildlife rehab organization could direct you, too.

I doubt anyone will replace your fish, or even care very much, sad to say, but you can make life very miserable for the technician and his company.

Don't give up.  Don't let them hurt another pond/family.

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
So sorry for your loss.   I live in a rural area.  My neighbor to the south had an earth moving business.  Well about 6 years ago he was buddies with another guy that butchers deer and such.  they dug a hole about the size of a small car and proceeded to dump hides, bones and stuff from the buddies business.  I call fish and wildlife...they were no help...BUT the state EPA shut them down in a matter of days.   @O@  The law states the any processing plant must keep records about the disposal of their waste...dumping it on private property doesn't comply it must be a receipt from a  registered garbage dump.  I say call the EPA...get samples from you neighbor's property if possible.

BTW...I wasn't being a busy body.  My dogs found the stuff and started eating it.  Gave them upset stomachs...I had to have my carpet cleaned twice, before I figured out what was going on.  They also tested positive for parasites and that equaled an unscheduled vet bill.  The EPA kept me out of it...the problem went away.  This neighbor would have killed my dogs for revenge, if he had known that I called the EPA.
Good luck

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
Thanks again...I'm still so melancholy about all this.  The EPA is coming tomorrow. They have started an investigation.   I promise I'm not giving up till I know what happened.  The test goes to an independent national lab and will test for what they sprayed.  I'm going to ask they test for deet also.  I found a 1/2 empty bottle of deep woods off  on my deck that I dont remember being that empty.  I dont believe in spraying chemicals on myself so it is hardly ever used if at all.  I have been mulling this all over and have decided to redo my pond.  I have had a few issues the last 2 summers that need to be resolved.  I started my pond 9 yrs ago and it has grown into a monster.  By adding on over the years it has developed some issues because of poor design or not enough thought.  So with that said, I'm going to take advantage of being without fish and make this the pond Ive always wanted it to be.  You know all those times you say "I wish I did it that way" .  So this coming weekend I'm moving plants, then rocks, then I will build the last pond I will ever have LOL  I'm eliminateing Koi and concentrating on lillies and wakin.  Those are what bring me most joy.  I never realized how many times a day I went out to take a peek or play with my pets.  I will miss them terrible, but I love ponding and have to move on.  My koi were so friendly and would hand feed and actually let me touch and play with them.  Its just such a bummer.  Thanks again for the support  :)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
I really like your attitude sushi and feel awful about the loss of your pets.  It's amazing how much we enjoy our ponds, plants, and fish and all the other creatures that inhabit it.  Sounds like the perfect time for a pond redo--reaping the rewards of your learning in making it the pond you've always wanted.  Good luck to you and remember----PICS!    @O@   ;)
LuAnn

Offline sushi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »
Thank you...and I'm sorry to you too Wags.  It stinks not knowing. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"