Author Topic: what could of killed our fish??  (Read 1680 times)

Offline wags

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
what could of killed our fish??
« on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:53 PM »
we have had our pond for a little over 2 years old..we had a lot of trouble trying to get it clear but this spring it was finally clear..I think it just took awhile for the pond to get good algae in it or something..So this year we haven't added any chemicals to it or anything..Everything was doing wonderful..The fish were growing and eating well then this morning when we woke up they were all dead..6 goldfish and 3 koi..I couldn't believe it..It had stormed last night so I was wondering if they were struck by lighting or what?? The pond is right next to the house and we never heard any real loud lighting strikes.. If it was lighting you thought you would have heard it hit.. The pump is still running and the pond is still as clear as it was before.. We are very sad and puzzled..Does anyone have any Ideas of what could of happened?? Thanks wags    I live near danville Ill.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: what could of killed our fish??
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
Soooo sad!  Is there water runoff from something that had chemicals applied on it?  Don't know anything about storm/lightning.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
It could also be caused by a pH crash from all that rain. Do have the kit to test your water?
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 05:19:29 PM »
A few days ago I found one of the pretty Koi floating in the pond, dead :( I managed to get it out with my long  net. Right away I knew it was the work of the darn heron! Two big pokes on either side of the fish! I have seen heron  here two at a time just working the pond. Maybe if I get more lily pads, they will have lots more cover >:(-

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
Sorry.  Been a bad few days for fish here  :'(  Did you get mosquito spray too?  I have never had problems when my neighborhood gets sprayed, but maybe your areas get something different?  Maybe you and Sushi got the same bad batch.   {nono}

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:02:09 AM »
Wags, I am so sorry to hear that.  What a shock!

I, too, feel it must have to do with something that washed into the water, or perhaps a pH spike, as suggested. 

Offline wags

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 04:23:05 PM »
we tested the water its fine..we have neighbors that have ponds and theres are fine..just don't understand.......... :'(

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »
Wags, what did your PH test at? Every pond is different and you can't compare your neighbors, if you had a lot of rain, under certain circumstances it can cause a PH crash which can spell quick death for your fish.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:22:28 AM »
Low oxygen can do it too. Usually the biggest fish die first. This is very common with small ponds and summer heat. I don't know what size your pond is or what aeration you have.

Predators don't leave all the bodies. It has to be something chemical or physical like an electric shock/poison/low oxygen.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline wags

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
Our ph balance was perfect by our testing and the pet shop testing..this is really a mystery to us..also we have plenty of aeration..also no chemical run off..we also bought 5 feeder goldfish and so far their still alive so far..Just don't know :-\

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  Sometimes it seems we do everything right, and we still lose fish.  I hope you find an answer.   :'(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"