Author Topic: Who Do you call to fix stuck garage door when coil is sprung?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Who Do you call to fix stuck garage door when coil is sprung?

Its an automatic garage door (non manual) and DH said that after he pulled the car in it slammed shut (good thing the car was in already). He thinks that its one of the giant coils above the door that sprung.  We got it at a Lowes/Home Depot and the install was a subcontractor (firefighter off duty) that they hire. So when something like this happens who do you call to fix it?  Its several years old. 
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Who Do you call to fix stuck garage door when coil is sprung?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
You can replace the springs yourself. We have done this several times as two of the rentals and our own garage door has them and have power closures. Make sure you get the right spring---for one stall or two stalls. Home Depot carries them. If you don't want to do it yourself, there are garage door installation companies listed in your Yellow Pages or ask HD if you can arrange for someone to come.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 11:49:12 AM »
OMG, garage door springs can be VERY dangerous.  They are very strong and wound very tight.  Most companies recommend that springs are one thing NOT to touch. 

Find a company in your phone book.  Try "Garage Door Opener" or "Overhead Door".  Probably $200-$400.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 08:18:33 PM »
Yes, ask my dad. Many, many years ago he had to replace the ones in his garage. Something went wrong and it sent him into the windshield of a car. He was alright, but the windshield had to be replaced.

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
Yup, gotta be careful. I don't know how he did it but I know Pete has done it several times.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
our spring spontaneously broke last year, no one was near the garage and door was shut. Sure made a huge noise. I had no idea what the hell was going on. Bob wasn't home.

We called a garage door installer out of the yellow pages. Person that originally installed door was out of business.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
When my hubby was younger, the spring broke loose and came very close to killing him. He was just walking from the garage into the house when the spring hit the door jamb. He has a very healthy respect for those things.  ;)

Are you in the Midwest? If you are, call Walter Holland. He is our 'official' garage door man.  :) Gets the job done right every time. Shameless plug maybe, but I speak the truth.  O0
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 09:12:28 AM »
Could it still be under warranty?  I would check to make sure.  Sometimes one or two parts have a longer warranty period than others.  Since the springs are so deadly, maybe they have a longer warranty?
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 07:19:10 AM »
OMG, garage door springs can be VERY dangerous.  They are very strong and wound very tight.  Most companies recommend that springs are one thing NOT to touch. 

Find a company in your phone book.  Try "Garage Door Opener" or "Overhead Door".  Probably $200-$400.

Julles- You were right on with that ballpark quote. Wow, pretty expensive but better than losing a few fingers.  We called a garage door service company (I did not even know they had something like that) that my DH boss had used before when his wife backed into the garage.  He told us how people do lose fingers and injure themselves all the time trying to do this.  Said that when they go there to work on the springs the railing where they are associated with is always covered in blood...gross...

The springs were most likely the originals per the service guy (so like from the mid 80's). The new ones have a lifetime warranty  O0

Thanks everyone for posting your ideas.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
Your installation guy was a salesman. Good job. But if you aren't used to DIY and don't have the equipment or knowhow, I won't put down using an experienced person.  :-\ There is always someone out there who is experienced in any service work if you ask around a bit. We have a friend and his son who have a garage door installation and service company. Otherwise I probably would have to look in the yellow pages if I needed it done. I'm also scared of those springs but DH isn't... I just make sure I'm not watching when he works on them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"