Author Topic: Knock Out Roses  (Read 1682 times)

Offline WV Kim

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Knock Out Roses
« on: June 26, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »
I am having trouble with my knock out roses, they are being eaten by something. I know its not beetles. I dont really see any bugs on them. I do see some bugs in the bloom but nothing on the leaves. It's the leaves that are being eaten. Holes in the leaves. Can I use a rose dust? Is there a home remendy?
Thanks for your help!

Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Knock Out Roses
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:32 PM »
Kim, my MIL and others are having trouble with theirs also, being eaten by something from the bottom up.  Mine are bug free at the moment and I use a systemic insect spray:  there is an aerosol and also one that you put in a sprayer mixed with water.  I use the latter.  I started spraying in the spring to ward off the japanese bean beetle invasion.  You don't have to reapply after rains, it goes into the plant and the bugs don't touch it.  Be careful spraying any chemical especially around your ponds.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
same problem here this year.. I feel like I am serving a all you can eat buffet to something that I cant figure out and mine are way to close to my pond to spray.. guess I just see if it kills them or not.

tink

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »
Lu Ann and Tink,

Thanks for answering!! This is my first summer with these roses. They are the only roses I have. I am not sure what to do!  :-\  What is the name of the chemical you mix with water? I am willing to try anything. Mine are also being eaten from the bottom upward too.  I have read about Neem Oil and using this with water, have you ever tried it? I am thinking about it. The jap. beetles are starting to show up. I found 2 this morning. What do they not like eat on my rose leaves?

I use baby powder to keep ants out. They will not cross it. I am wondering if I should try something like that around my roses on the ground.

Thanks for your advice! I need it!!!!!!!!!!!

Kim  :)
Zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 11:45:30 AM »
What I use is Ortho systemic insect spray.  If you can't find Ortho, try another systemic product that mixes with water.  I will see an occasional jap. beetle, but then he's usually laying on his back with feet up the next day... :)   These roses are so easy to grow because of the lack of care they require with fungicides, molds, etc. but you have to watch out for the insect pests.

I told another ponder about a product called diatomaceous earth for the control of slugs.  In checking this a little further, I realized that it can control other ground insects such as ants, worms, that attack a plant from the ground up.  The tiny bodies of dead diatoms (Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae.) are laying in the soil, and when an insect moves across the dirt it slices the bodies (shells of ants and other hard bodied insects) and they die naturally.  Some people even put this around the foundations of their homes if they have an ant infestation and the ants just disappear. 

Let me know what you end up using and how it works for you.   :)

LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »
Lu Ann
I will check with my local southern states tomorrow. I will let you what I find. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Kim :)
Zone 5b

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
Can you post pictures of the damage? What you use for control really depends on what the problem is.

I've got holes in my Knockouts too but they are from fungus not insects.

There are systemic products in granular form and liquid drenches that you do not spray therefore would be safer around a pond. Lily Miller makes a Rose, Shrub and Flower care that is systemic granules. Dexol makes systemics for roses too.

Bayer Advanced makes a three in one for roses but it is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates and bees.

Ortho's main systemic is Orthene and it will kill fish/frogs/aquatic invertebrates. They put Orthene in aerosol cans, ready to use sprays, hose sprayers and alone in bottles that you mix with water.

Neem and insecticidal soaps are organic but they are contact insecticides. You must coat the bug with the spray to kill it. They don't hurt the bug when it bites the plant or have residual effect. Ditto Malathion and Diazinon.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline WV Kim

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:54:56 AM »
Hi!
Sorry it's been long getting back.  My rose bushes are not to close to the pond. 2 are about 8 feet away and 3 are on the other side of yard. My husband wants me to try a 7 spray he uses in our garden before some things start blooming. I am not sure of exact name because he just says 7 spray. So I am going to try it on the front yard ones. I will let you all know later this weekend.

Thanks!
Kim
Zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
That should work -- I think it's spelled 'Sevin' spray--I used it once but it sprayed out white all over my plant, the powder is also the same way.  I didn't like the way my plants looked with white all over them, BUT they may have come out with something clear by now.  What I like about the systemic spray is that bees, butterflies etc. can 'feed' on the flowers of my roses and other plants that I have sprayed, but when a bug like the japanese been beetle trys to eat the flower or the leaf, they're history..... ;)
LuAnn

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
Sevin is the correct spelling of the brand name of carbaryl , it is a non specific insecticide that will kill any bug it hits and any bug that eats Sevin dust or granules.

FYI
Systemic insecticides affect all parts of a plant/flower including the nectar.
Bees, humingbirds and butterflies can be harmed or killed by systemic insecticides.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"