Author Topic: Small pink waterlily that blooms a lot in cooler climates?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Small pink waterlily that blooms a lot in cooler climates?
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:39:36 PM »
I've had Joann Pring for about five years now and she just does not bloom well for me. I get maybe three blooms a year no matter how much fertilizer. Our springs are cool and rainy and summers short with very few days over 80*.
I just read on ewaterlily that she does not bloom well in cool climates so it isn't just me :(

Does anyone know of a small pink that might do better?

Anyone grow Pink Beauty?

I have Perry's Baby Red and it blooms fantastically but I'd like one a softer color.

I have had poor blooming with Chrysantha, Hermine and Charlie's Choice too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Small pink waterlily that blooms a lot in cooler climates?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
Perry's Baby Red doesn't bloom much for me & Charlie's Choice is blooming like crazy.  Maybe Shady Lady would do well for you.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:52 AM »
I grow Pink Beauty.  Her tuber is so huge she's in her own tub.  PB was the first to bloom for me this year, and only had maybe one day where she wasn't blooming.  One of my favorites!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:58:32 AM »
Was ewaterlily wrong when they said Pink Beauty grew 1-3 ft spread perfect for small or tub watergardens?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
Well, like I say I have it in a plantainer.  So, it seems to stay about 2' spread, and never stops flowering.  I'll try to get you a shot tonight.  Forgive me if I don't tho, I usually don't get home from school until about 9 pm, and am usually dog tired by then.  Will do my best!  O0  Oh, also, I just got Little Sue this year, and she's already given me two flowers (and just getting going)  @O@

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
I have bought/traded for Little Sue three times from three different forum members and the raccoons have gotten her every time. She must taste good. I've never had her growing long enough to bloom even once.  ::) I've read more than once that she is the best bloomer of the small peach/changeables.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
hi LeeAnne:

I'm sorry CC does not bloom well for you it seenms to go crazy for me in full sun.  I have Dallas if you want it, it gets more shade and seems to bloom average for me.

Gary

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
I have Perry's Baby Pink and it blooms well for me, even in mostly shade.  I would think that if Perry's Baby Red blooms well for you the pink would also.  I don't have Perry's Baby Red . . .

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »
Maybe you ought to try Paul Hariot. Its small, its in my whiskey barrel this year and it blooms pretty well. Its in a partially shaded area and it still blooms.
I have Pink Beauty. I wouldn't call it a small lily, medium would be more accurate.
Rubra is another small one I really like but its a bit tempermental at times. I haven't exactly figured out why. Some years it blooms really well and others I'm lucky if it blooms once or twice during the summer. This year its blooming really well.
Its funny sometimes how certain lilies do well for others and not for some. I have Perry's Baby Red and it NEVER blooms.  ::) Its about to get the boot from my tanks.
This pic shows a 1st day bloom on the right and an older bloom on the left.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:06:20 PM by Desertponder »
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
I may not be giving Charlie's Choice and Hermine their due. They are in a small pond with Perry's Baby Red and may be somewhat crowded out. I suppose some day I should pull it up and divide it but it just keeps on blooming every year so I don't.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"