Author Topic: Fish death....I have more questions  (Read 1128 times)

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fish death....I have more questions
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:17:31 AM »
Well the EPA was here this morning and it looks like it wasnt mosquito spray.  Last night I went out with a flashlight and I had a bin with babies in it in my big pond.  Well I saw 1 baby about 1/2 inch long.  1 survivor...they told me babies would be the first to go.  I showed them the bottle of Deet and I need to call a toxicologist they gave me.  My question is...if it was a lack of oxygen situation, would that kill the string algae?  So now I'm thinking it couldnt be poison if i have a survivor.  I may never know  :(

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fish death....I have more questions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:02:42 AM »
For whatever reason your string algae died the decomposing algae would use up oxygen in your pond. Depending on how much is decaying and your oxygen level prior to the algae dying would be a factor in or if it could be enough to kill your fish. How fast that would occur I can not say. At low oxygen levels and high water temperatures your fish are the most susceptible. The biggest go first. Koi before goldfish from what I have been told. I hope this helps. Tom

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:28:47 AM »
Oh no sushi.  I am sure you want to know what killed your fish and at the same time the algae too.  I hope you find your answers for your peace of mind and also because of building your 'dream pond', you would want to know what to do or not to do to prevent this from happening again.  It may just be a combination of many things happening at the same time.   :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:36:22 PM »
I remember long ago on the Watergardening Magazine forum that someone went on vacation and teenagers poured bleach into their pond and killed all their koi. That would also kill the string algae and make it look pale. Is this a possibility?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline sushi

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:09 AM »
At this point anything is possible. I just dont know.  The heat makes more sense, but I dont know if that would kill the algae,   I wouldnt think so

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:27 AM »
If it was anything that depleted O2 levels in the water, the big fish would be the first to go, so it would be normal to have babies or some smaller fish survive.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"