Author Topic: Flowering cactus and succulents  (Read 3098 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Flowering cactus and succulents
« on: July 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM »
My cactus and succulents are still blooming during our unusually cool weather.  I don't care what DH says but Cactus and roses are very pretty and I love them in my garden.  He doesn't like the thorns  :o

Slowly but surely, I'm incorporating more cactus and succulents and roses into my garden.  So take that, Honey!

Offline tugo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
Re: Flowering cactus and succulents
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:15 AM »
Very nice plants and good arrangement. I also love cacti and succulents. Thanks

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »
I love them too.  I'm even going to attempt a cactus bed this year (assuming I ever get a free moment  ::) )

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 05:54:56 AM »
Very pretty :) How long have you been growing them? I was given some pear catus, I planted them outside in the garden. They grew for several years, then they were gone, nothing was in the spot where they grew {-)

Tootsie

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:49:53 AM »
what is the tall green one that looks like a tree, in the pot with black prince?  Love your use of rocks.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 10:41:33 AM »
Love your succulents Annette, I love them too but they aren't hardy here.  I bought a couple of hens and chicks (so the tag said) but now looking at your succulents I believe they won't be hardy for me here... >:(  they were expensive too and here I was hoping to fill up the container I had them in with lots and lots of babies...
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 04:07:26 PM »
Kitty, my mom has had Hens and Chicks in her yard for 30 years, she lives in Zone 3 in UT.  They have lots and lots of babies!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
m
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 04:54:42 AM »
What I tried to say but didn't explain very well was:  I bought a couple of what the tag said was hens and chicks--but after looking at Annette's succulents I don't think they are.  I think they are succulents that won't be hardy here like the hens and chicks I already have are.  I thought they might be a different variety of hens and chicks, to add to my collection.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 03:20:02 PM »
Sorry Moon, I don't know the names of many of my succulents or cactus  :(  But I do know they grow pretty well here and what a bit of fertilizer can do!  I just learned that one.  O0

Glad I ID'd a non C&H for you, LuAnn.

Ok, I've never seen it but who knew that fire sticks has what looks like a berry?  It has minuscule flowers but is this a berry or a deformity?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
Jerry, I love epi's!  But couldn't you find photos of your great cactus and succulents!  I know you have lots and lots and lots....

Here is a collection on my cooking table, which will need to find new places to reside.  Not enough room to place stuff from the barbi!  :o  The plant in front/center is sending up a flower stalk and the on the very right almost out of the picture has spent blooms.  I keep the guys in pots in a less than sunny location so they don't dry up during the heat (we don't have yet....but we're expecting it any time soon!).

Offline Pondering

• Members
  • With us since: 14/03/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:59:33 PM »
Thought i'd bump this up a bit... finally took a pic of my very first Cactus  :)  This is the second time it's blooming this year.  O0

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
Wow Pondering, what is that cactus called? 

Thanks to some California ponders/gardeners I have a great start on unusual plants.  Annette's epi's, Mikey's air plants, I have a staghorn fern that's doing well outside right now in this humidity under a tree, and several orchids.  I'll try and get some pics in the next few days to share.. :)
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »
I missed this post earlier.  Annette your cactus are beautiful.  I love the way they are arranged in the pot with the stones and also on your table.

I have a hen and chick that was really big this summer, now the very middle of the biggest "hen" has sent up a stalk with buds on it.  It looks like the loch ness monster!  I hope when the buds open it looks better cause I sure don't like it now. 

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »
Kittyzee - ya know... i'm not sure  :-\  i bought it from Home Depot and the tag is from Costa Farms.  The tag says "Cacti & Succulents Dishgarden" but no specific name, so they must use it on all their stuff.  I'll try to post a pic later of the stems 'cause they have thorns on them like a rose bush.  :o  I don't think a succulent would have thorns, so i just figured it was a form of Cacti.  Hmmmmmm.....

Indiana Karen - don't get your hopes up, i'm not all impressed how my hen and chick looks now that it's near the end of blooming... looks like it darn near sucked the life out of the hen! lol   Although then again... maybe it's the heat wave we're having.  8)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
One of mine.  I cut a big tree branch and the poor plant burned. I moved it and it will recover
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
Well, it's a beautiful plant even tho' ya don't know what it is!   ;)  I have a LOT of those....I even bought succulents thinking they WERE hens and chicks, but now I'm pretty sure they are not and they will never withstand the winter up here.  I will have to bring them indoors I think and probably kill them over the winter.. ::)
LuAnn

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
Here's a pic of those thorny stems... if anyone knows the name i'd sure appreciate it! 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 04:27:23 AM »
Aack!   :o  That looks like a tree!
LuAnn

Offline Pondering

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 06:24:34 AM »
 lol  I know! do you think maybe it's not a cactus? :-\ Although i must say... i've seen cactus in Ariz. that look like trees.  It's still a pretty little thing, and it blooms multiple times  o(:-)  I sure hope i can keep it over winter for next year.  ::)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 09:38:45 AM »
if anyone knows the name i'd sure appreciate it!
That appears to be one of the Euphorbia milli hybrids, sometimes called Crown of Thorns.  I have a red one in the ground that is now 5' tall.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:36 PM »
After seeing your pic of the plant with 'thorns'--I walk thru WalMart tonight and guess what I see?  This same plant with the thorny stalk and the soft leaves and blooms (not the same color) but has to be the same plant.  The plant tag listed it as a cactus.  Don't you think that considering it's a euphorbia, they'd caution about the sap?  Or is this one not full of fiery sap?... :o
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »
I would liken Euphorbia sap with spider bites.  Some are poisonous and some have no effect.  The common Poinsettia is also in the Euphorbia family.   My experience with the Crown of Thorns Euphorbias indicates the sap is not as readily flowing nor has it had a negative effect on my skin.  Some Euphorbias seem to be more caustic than others.  The only reason I wear gloves when taking cuttings from the Crown of Thorns is........well because it has thorns.....duh....    :D  By the way, Euphorbia milli is extremely easy to propagate from cuttings.  Just let the cutting callous over and then stick in the dirt.....  I presently have a couple rooting in a planting mix.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"