Author Topic: Lily suggestions please...  (Read 2722 times)

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lily suggestions please...
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:29:42 PM »
After seeing Gander's post of the cool lily pad I have a question. I'm in zone 5 (Omaha, Ne.). His post has me wanting to purchase a lily or 2 with different pads. So what does anyone recommend that would be hardy for here. Or are those type pads only tropical ones?
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Lily suggestions please...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 01:51:26 PM »
Hi Cath,

Have you tried Arc En Ciel (hardy) it has pink, green and white variegation on the pads. The bloom is not stunning but still pretty enough.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 02:25:21 PM »
I just got one recently from Karen but it's still a baby so the pads haven't grown much so are small and still green. I'm glad to know that the pads will have variegation on them.
Thanks Sean!!
zone 5b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 02:29:26 PM »
There are variegated pads on hardies as well . . . and on some of the easiest hardies to grow.  I love variegated pads because I have to have something to look at when there is no bloom . . . Graziella is variegated, but not like Gander's lily.  Arc en Ciel is the best because it's pads have so much color.

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 02:42:20 PM »
Then thanks to Karen I should have variegated pads next summer. Yippee!!! @O@

Thank you Karen!!!
Cath
zone 5b

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 03:48:37 PM »
You should try at least one Tropical next year if you can. They can be treated as annuals if you want.

Offline thedahlialama

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • just grow it
    • View Profile
    • my photobucket site
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
Cath - here is an arc en ciel pad next to a joey t bud closing up for the day.

and frankly, i think joey t has some great looking pads of his own!!

just look thru descriptions of water lilies for the words marbled, mottled, blotched, etc. to find pads with some added color and visual texture to them. even if you get them elsewhere, ebay sellers often give very good descriptions of the plants they are offering. its a good place to start. i'd also agree with gary to some extent on the tropical. i had them the last 2 summers with hardly a bloom but the beautiful pads had me smiling all season long. eventually i discovered that there are hardies that also have some of the same qualities and i'm getting some blooms as well. but some of the tropical pads are really incomparable to anything else. some of our tropical growers should be able to point you in the right direction when you decide to try one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 07:32:07 PM by thedahlialama »
Our Pond & Watergardens
paradise should be at home

ed

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
I've had tropicals but never tried to overwinter them. Mainly because I've read that it can be tricky to be successful at that. What do you think?
zone 5b

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »
I'll have to tell you after this winter :) but I'm sure going to try it. I wonder if some are easier than others to overwinter. If they can be grown from seed under lights with heat I'm hoping they can live under the same conditions.
Kay

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 08:14:50 PM »
Now you've done it!  lol  I must have one and I dont have any more room!  I guess more of the attraction lillies will have to go in the spring.. I have got to stop reading any post with lilly in the title. :)

tinkster

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 08:16:27 PM »
Tinkster,
  Apparently that's an 'illness' that has spread to many of us.  :D
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 08:31:02 PM »
I guess I have it bad.. the thing I dont understand is you guys have been at this much longer than me and you have to be running out of room.. what do you do!

My problem is I had 3 lillies in my 7 year old little pond they rarely bloomed there it was mostly shade.... I never devided so you can imagine how big they were when I finally did.. and I love all of them.. I cant imagine having just one pot of attraction or my yellow lily.. I guess I am goign to have to either learn to keep one of each kind of just stop now.  The attraction though for me has such huge leaves and non stop blooms and was out and blooming weeks before any of my others.. so its a HOARD type situation in case something happens to the others  :)

tinkster

Offline livetogarden

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 09:03:27 PM »
The answer is.....BUILD ANOTHER POND!!!! LOL
zone 5b

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 09:52:48 PM »
I guess I have it bad..   just stop now.

tinkster

:D  ;D  (8:-) (8:-) (8:-)

Yup!  o(:-) Just STOP!  lol
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 08:07:04 AM »
Something happen to Attraction?? I don't think they ever die. I think the original is still blooming somewhere  ;D
I will admit that after I got my first tropical I was totally hooked and while I love the hardies for their ease of care, I need tropicals :)
Kay

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 11:04:27 AM »
Chromatella, Aurora, Gold Medal and Souix are hardies that have mottled pads. Chromatella's are quite pretty actually. Sunrise has slightly mottled pads but they turn solid green as the pad ages. Mexicana has what I call spotted pads, it is semi-hardy. May or may not survive your winter.
I have never tried a tropical because I don't think they would do well here. Too much change in water temp from day to night and the growing season would be too short. However, I'm going to get one next spring and give it a try and see what happens.

Here is a pic of chromatella where you can see the pads.

This is Aurora
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"