Author Topic: Passion Vine Fruit  (Read 2936 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Passion Vine Fruit
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
I've been wanting passion fruit growing in my garden for years.  I finally bought a 5 gallon Yellow Passion Fruit Vine that is suppose to bear fruit this year.  Still waiting.... {:-P;;
I do have another passion fruit vine I thought was just for flowers but....wowowowowow!  After about 5 years I have fruit on this one!  Does anyone have this particular vine?  What color will this fruit become?  And then what?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:16:29 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Passion Vine Fruit
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:37:35 PM »
The first passiflora you have is P. edulis and it is a species passiflora. It will bear either hard yellow oval fruit or it will get round purple fruit that will get wrinkly when it is fully ripe.
I had both varieties and gave a few seeds to MikeW. He grew the purple fruiting variety. I think it finally died but it produced tons of fruit per year.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
What does passion fruit taste like?   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:45:38 PM »
What does passion fruit taste like?   :)

Like passion! lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 05:48:40 PM »
 ?)(?
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »
I do eat mine.  I squeeze the little berries out of the top and eat! Sweet and a bit tart.
Sean, can you I.D. mine?  Theresa in Atlanta sent it a few years ago.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
Jerry you have P. caerulea

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:54:54 PM »
posilutely amazing!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tootsie

• Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:49:34 AM »
I forgot about the two passiflora vines I planted.  Before long they were climbing all over the fence.  Then came the fruit!  I didn't see it right away as it was tucked away in the thick vines. I was so excited, I was sure it would be yummy. In the morning I got my camera and ran out to take a picture of my prize. Ugh, darn puppy yanked it off the vine and took a big bite >:(-  Then swallowed the rest before I could catch him >:(- >:(- >:(-

Tootsie

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 05:21:29 PM »
Sean is right the top flower is a yellow fruit variety, thanks.  I'm hoping the second photo the vine will produce a purple fruit. 

Funny Scott!  ;D It's all about the juice, which can be tart or sweet like berries.  I can't wait to see this fruit ripen! 
Got to find something to keep the darned squirrel from finding it like it has my tomatoes (thank goodness there is enough to share!).  Feel sorry for yours, Tootsie.

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »
Hi Annette,

I am not sure what your second one is but I am assuming, unfortunately it will get orange soft fruit like P. caerulea which Jerry has.
There are virtually hundreds of species end even more hybrids of Passiflora
Jerry, your variety is not known for fruit production, the arils are small and they do not create a lot of juice like the first one that Annette has called edulis.
Another great fruit producer is the banana passiflora's or Tacsonias. They get long banana shaped fruit with lots of juice that is generally sweet.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »
I get a lot of fruit, I thought.  Perhaps it's relative.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:17:16 PM »
Hi Annette,
Your second vine looks like my Lavender Lady. So far it hasn't produced any fruit, but is a prolific bloomer. I have a couple others that fruit.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »
Hey Maryvonne, the purple flowered passion vine was originally purchased for the "crazy" flower.  Since then I have found so many different kinds of "crazy " flowered passion vines.  Absolutely love the frillies.  Fruit on the purple passion flower is just a surprising bonus!  @O@

Sean, you know way too much about the variety of passion fruit than a Vancouverite should know  :D  But I do appreciate your knowledge!  Thanks!

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:11 AM »
Hi Jerry, by fruit production on caerulea, I meant the amount of juice inside each fruit, Caerulea fruit is generally quite empty and the aril and juice are red.
Annette, I have grown dozens of variety of Passiflora and I am as much of a nut over them as I am tropical waterlilies. The nice part is many of the Passiflora varieties are quite hardy in Vancouver. Remember where I am it is Zone 8B.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 02:27:07 PM »
Annette:  I can't speak for the yellow variety, as the variety I have is 'Frederick' which is a heavy producer of fruit.  Frederick's fruit turns purple and remains pretty hard when ripe.  With Frederick it is best to just wait for the fruit to drop.  Dropping doesn’t harm the fruit.  The outside is merely a casing that you toss into the compost pile after scooping out the pulp.  When the fruit starts to wrinkle it is at its sweetest, although still tart.  It will keep for a few more weeks and become more wrinkled but the liquid inside will dry out.  I cut the fruit in half and use a spoon to scoop out the pulp.  The fetching Mrs. Mikey eats it right out of the halved fruit but it is too tart for my taste eating it that way. 

The seeds are hard but quite chewable.  They pop when bit upon.  I have made passion fruit punch, sangria and ice cream from our fruit.  The flavor is intense and it doesn't take much fruit to get the flavor.  I don't like the seeds in the ice cream I make but the other members of the family like the seeds because they like the crunch.  When I make the punch and the sangria I put the pulp in our blender along with whatever liquid I'm using and bust up the seeds, which also separates them from the pulp.  The finely chopped seeds quickly separate and sink to the bottom of the container and thus the liquid can be poured out leaving the seeds behind.

Frederick's flower:

Fruit on the vine:

Ripe fruit off the vine:

Cut in half.  As you can see there is not a lot of liquid and the pulp is mixed in with and attached to the seeds.  This is how the Fetching One likes to eat them….

As I recall I use perhaps 6-8 passion fruits when I make a quart of ice cream.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:47 PM »
Wecome home Mike! Missed you. :welcome:
 Sean is correct, little juice on mine.  The fruit looks much different then yours.
I like yours better! :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »
I must have Fredrick, my blossoms and fruit looks just like that.  Mine hasn't begun flowering yet this year. I have it in a pot because I was worried about it spreading, but I'm wondering if that is stunting the fruit production.  It's over 15' tall but quite leggy.  Anyone know?

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 01:04:53 PM »
This is now the 3rd year I have had my Frederick in a pot and for the same concerns as you.  The first year it produced perhaps a dozen or so fruit.  Last year it went crazy.  The vine produced an amazing amount of fruit.  However, toward the end of the season I realized that even though I had the pot on clay bricks so that the drainage holes would not make contact with the soil I could clearly see a large root that had exited a drainage hole and was in my soil.  Fearing the invasive nature of some varieties of passion fruit vines I cut the root.

I neglected the vine this spring and only recently gave it some fertilizer.  Thus far the vine has not produced fruit yet and does not appear as vigorous as before.  It just now appears to be starting to grow again.  I tend to believe the amazing showing of last year was due to that root escaping.  Only time will tell.

I would like to find information on studies of passion fruit vines that indicate which varieties are invasive and which varieties are not invasive.  My soil is sandy silt and it is very easy for invasive plants to spread.  I had P. incarnata 'Incense' in the ground and that was a horrible mistake.  I ripped it out a few years ago yet I still have it suckering up to 25' away from where it was planted.  However, I also have a plant traded to me as P. alto-caerulea and it too is in the ground and after 8 years or so it still has not suckered up elsewhere.  If I trusted Frederick I would put it into the ground.....and if it doesn't perk up I likely will try it in the ground.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 03:48:57 PM »
Missed you too, Mikey!  It's all your fault I've gone gaga over the passion vine fruit!  I love the photos since they explain a whole lot on what passion fruit looks like when opened.  O0  So most of mine are in the ground...will I be sorry later?  The only one I have with fruit now is in a small pot for the past 5+ years and not likely to move anywhere.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
The nice part is many of the Passiflora varieties are quite hardy in Vancouver. Remember where I am it is Zone 8B.

Wow Sean!  8B!  Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?  ;D  I know Vancouver has beautiful year round weather but where do you put the igloos?  :D :D :D lol  I know, bad bad girl.  I grew up in Canada on the very east coast and most people here always ask if I lived in an igloo  ;D  when your's are flowering you have to share photos with us!  I'll be good.  ;)

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »
So most of mine are in the ground...will I be sorry later?
  If I recall Annette, you have clay soil and that should make it more difficult for an invasive variety to spread.  I considered using a root barrier but even a 2' deep barrier didn't stop my black bamboo from going under it.....

I tried moving my potted Frederick yesterday and it wouldn't budge......which means roots have made their way through the other drainage holes past the clay bricks and into the soil......  :P

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47:33 AM »
Glad to know invasive may be more controllable in clay soil plus they do not get premium care from me  :P  Too bad about your beautiful black bamboo.  I have mine in a large container and it's pretty bushy but skinny bamboo.

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
Hi Mikey,

P. edulis var. Frederick was selected for it's huge fruit production and it is not one that sends up runners from the roots like many others in the genus. It is still the species P. edulis so Holldoll, unless you purchased yours as the variety Frederick, you likely just have the species edulis. Frederick can only be cloned by cuttings and it's seed can only be referred to as P. edulis as the seed may not have the vigor of the parent. P. edulis var. Frederick is quite rare but commonly sought after for it's huge fruit yields. The seedling that MikeW had produced so much fruit it was a hindrance at times running down the street from his back stairwell. His got massive as a ground planted specimen.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:15 PM »
Thanks Sean for the information on Frederick.  I feel better now and won't be so paranoid about it suckering everywhere.  I may even go out and pile up some soil over the clay bricks to encourage those roots...... 

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
  • With us since: 22/02/2023
    Years
    • View Profile
    • High Rated SLOT GACOR Info
Excellent ASIAN2BET Tips
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2024, 01:16:45 PM »
To the man talking about pg slot live, bandar slot indonesia, casino live online asia, agen slot88 login, apa itu slot judi, slot casino online indonesia, sg slot online, agen slot88 online, slot lagi, web judi,  I highly suggest this high rated RTP ASIAN2BET blog or agen judi slot online terpercaya, bandar slot 88 login, link slot online, slot mobile, promo casino online, game judi slot online malaysia, judi slot online malaysia, ion slot online, asia judi slot, agen judi casino online indonesia terpercaya, as well as this how you can help for RTP ASIAN2BET details not to mention main casino slot, bandar online slot, judi slot online, link game judi slot online, idn slot vip, www game slot, apa main slot, agen judi slot online, slot online vip, rtp playstar, on top of this agree with for ASIAN2BET link which is also great. Also, have a look at this had me going about RTP ASIAN2BET tips as well as game slot online, idn slot vip, website game slot, joker judi slot, bandar judi slot online, slot nolimit city indonesia, slot yg, dunia play slot, live22 slot game, situs bandar judi slot online, not to mention this watch this video about ASIAN2BET site with judi slot indonesia, judi slot, judi online 4d, judi asia slot, jago slot 88 login, nama situs judi slot, login judi slot, slot 4d singapore, bg slot online, user slot login,  for good measure. Check more @ Useful ASIAN2BET Website 5a35ec8

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
    Years
    • View Profile
Top Rated Tajir4D Login Blog
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2024, 05:28:12 PM »
For the lady talking about online bandar, judi 4d slot, judi 4d online, 4d toto online, situs togel idn, bandar 4d slot, toto 4d, toto slot judi, toto 4e, bandar togel bonus deposit 100,  I highly recommend this top Tajir4D Login blog or online bandar, on 4d toto, 4d toto, bandar sgp online, bandar togel idn, judi 2d, sdy slot4d, cara menang toto, 4d org, 4d online, as well as this these details for TAJIR4D tips on top of 4d org, situs bandar judi, judi toto online, dewatogel mobile, pembayaran 4d, cara toto, sdy slot 4d, bandar online, bandar 4d slot, 4d singapore login, not to mention this updated Tajir4D Login details which is also great. Also, have a look at this from this source on TAJIR4D link on top of 4d malaysia online, situs togel idn, bandar indotogel, 4d online, bandar togel bonus new member, bandar toto, dewatogel mobile, main toto, 4d casino, bandar online, and don't forget this clicking here on Tajir4D Login url with bandar indotogel, bandar togel bonus new member 30, 100 4d, all toto 4d, cara menang toto 4d, bandar judi toto, 4d casino, bandar togel terbesar dan terpercaya di indonesia, on 4d toto, 4d toto online,  for good measure. Check more @ Cool ugzeus slot login Guide 22e164d

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
    Years
    • View Profile
Useful Daily Sport Predictions Tips
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2024, 11:01:32 AM »
To the person talking about tennis picks today, best nfl & nba prediction site, up to date tennis news, nfl prediction news, baseball mlb news & results today, best table tennis betting picks site, crypto casinos uk, mls predictions today straight up, table tennis predictions tomorrow, best baseball mlb predictions today,  I highly recommend this advice for top sport prediction info or tennis picks each week, best mls prediction model, best basketball nba predictions today, best signup bonus soccer mls betting, nfl & nba predictions of the day, top crypto sports book, tennis h2h computer predictions, best ice hockey nhl prediction model, winning ice hockey nhl predictions, best tennis prediction strategy, and don't forget this top recommended sport prediction advice not to mention daily predictions for nfl & nba, soccer mls predictions for this week, latest american football nfl news, basketball nba predictions this weekend, nfl bets picks straight up, ice hockey nhl picks today, nfl & nba prediction news today, cricket prediction news today, mls news & results today, cricket rumours & news, and don't forget this click this link for awesome sport prediction advice which is also great. Also, have a look at this updated top sport prediction details alongside all tennis betting promo codes, tennis h2h picks straight up, meerkatbet crypto sportsbook, best table tennis predictions today, best nfl predictions platform, american football nfl prediction news of the day, best american football nfl prediction strategy, nfl rumours & news, camel racing picks each week, best mls predictions today, as well as this read review about recommended sport prediction forum with mls news & results today, baseball mlb predictions today, h2h stats picks, darts picks today, free daily nfl tips predictions, free nfl bets picks today & tomorrow, best american football nfl predictions platform, best ice hockey nhl predictions platform, darts prediction news of the day, profitable soccer mls picks,  for good measure. Check more @ Excellent 7RAJATOGEL Website 35ec8e0

Offline FrankJScott

• Members
    Years
    • View Profile
Cool Situs Toto Tips
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2024, 04:31:58 PM »
In response to the lady talking about data result sgp 2022, www dorahoki com, marga4d, penqeluaran sqp, bandar judi togel, kps4d slot, bandar slot toto, mozza4d, coloktoto login, dhx 4d slot,  I highly recommend this full report on togel link or seven4dvip, kungfu4d1, toto judi, belgia4d, rtp slot altogel, www kungfu4d2, kimochi4d slot, bursa toto togel, sg4d toto, m2 totojitu online com, not to mention this top rated situs toto advice on top of nusantarapools, link torpedo4d, cara main toto 4d, tempat pasang togel online, toto dan 4d, agen sgp, dhx4d rtp slot, rtp live towertoto, togel bandar jaya, 4d result hari ini, and don't forget this top rated togel site which is also great. Also, have a look at this my review here on togel online info as well as parlay togel, situs toto, jam keluaran canadia, malaysiapools, daya4d promo, agen togel deposit dana, livedrawwatford, live draw jp, paitonepal, judi totobet, on top of this here are the findings for toto togel details with trex master togel, royal togell, bandar togel lion group, prize 123, top daya4d, agen togeltoto, www dorahoki com, surat4d wap, bolagila judi lotto, bandar togel deposit dana,  for good measure. Check more @ Top TAJIR4D Guide 0_b0e13

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"