Author Topic: Bitter Carrots  (Read 747 times)

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Bitter Carrots
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »
Ok...so I've never grown carrots before.  They are beautiful and well formed...BUT too bitter to eat?  One friend said I should be sugar in the bed????  I don't think so...I think it's the heat not the soil.  Tell me what you know!!  Thanks

Offline Riley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/03/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Bitter Carrots
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:52:55 PM »
I found this online.
Carrots are a cool-season crop. They are sweetest when daytime temperatures are between 60 and 70 degrees and nights are in the 50s. As the temperatures rise, quality is reduced. These vegetables also prefer a loose sandy-loam soil. Soil that is high in clay may be part of your problem.
As the plant and top growth mature, the carrot also grows in size and tries to expand. In heavier soils, the roots push upward instead of downward. The exposed part receives sunlight and develops chlorophyll, causing the top of the carrot and core to turn green. The green parts have a bitter taste. Soil that holds moisture for prolonged periods will also cause problems, including poor colouration.
  I've also found that lack of trace nutrients and clay soil affect their taste from my experience. I side dress with Soil Alive and make sure my soil is amended well. A frost will sweeten carrots sometimes.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"