Author Topic: Louisiana Iris  (Read 1981 times)

Offline trish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Louisiana Iris
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
I wanted to share with you my Black Gamecock Louisiana Iris.  After two years it finally bloomed last month and I was just stunned at how gorgeous the coloring was.  It's planted in my shallow stream bed and the tuber freezes solid every year, which always amazes me that it's able to come back in the spring after that. 

Also, seed pods are forming and they are huge.  Do I leave them go like I do with the Siberian Iris or cut them off?  Since it's the first time they've bloomed I don't know.   :thinking:

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Louisiana Iris
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:32:05 PM »
Trish, those are wonderful :) You have a stream running through your property!!!!! o(:-) I bought some of them a few times, but could never get them to grow >:(- Would they grow in the shallow part of my pond? HMMMMM, yours are just gorgeous :) I would try to grow them from seeds?
Tootsie

Offline Reedman

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 02:20:44 PM »
Nice pics!  I have a gamecock iris - my favorite.  It bloomed two years ago, not last year, bloomed this year - go figure . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:56:14 PM »
I love your stream and iris!

tink

Offline scokaw

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • SnL Aquatics
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 05:00:27 PM »
That color is amazing.  I got some early this year and now I can't wait for them to bloom.

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
Love the rich colour!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline trish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 08:17:51 AM »
Thank you all for the compliments.   :)

tootsie - I wish the stream ran through my property, but it just goes a few feet from my waterfall box into the pond.  Woman made.   ;D 

Reedman - with your experience, should I expect blooms every other year then?

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:58:56 AM »
I won't tell {:-P;; It sure looks like a wonderful pond and water way to me :) How did you come up with your design?
Tootsie

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:39 AM »
Yes, BG iris is really pretty. I have a hard time keeping them, they don't often live through the winter for me.
I bought some last year and when it bloomed it was light purple so I figured I had a mismarked plant but this year when it bloomed it was the dark purple. They are quite striking.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:26:24 AM »
Love the look of your stream!  The black Gamecock is my favorite iris in my bog pot and pond-bog bareroot.  As it grows older (years) it will get very large rhys (?) and you can cut off pieces to share or move to another spot.  You'll get blooms every year.  Remember to fertilize like you do with water lilies.

Great photos!

Offline trish

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:18:03 AM »
I won't tell {:-P;; It sure looks like a wonderful pond and water way to me :) How did you come up with your design?
Tootsie

Thank you and I came up with the design after looking at a gazillion pond and stream pictures.  Unfortunately I wasn't a very good engineer because it does have a few faults, but until I can manage the redo it'll will have to suffice.

Desertponder - Mine is very shallowly planted and only anchored with a few rocks so the rhizomes freezes solid during the winter.  I'm surprised yours don't live through your winter if it can survive in my zone 5.

miguynmkoi - thank you for your kind words.  I have never fertilized it...  how would I go about doing so?  I use the fert tabs for my lilies, so would I just stick it among the rhizome?  If so when would be the best time?  Early spring?

I bought some of them a few times, but could never get them to grow >:(- Would they grow in the shallow part of my pond? HMMMMM, yours are just gorgeous :) I would try to grow them from seeds?
Tootsie

Forgot to answer you on this.  I have two other Louisiana Iris in my pond, just buried in pond pebbles.  Snowdrift bloomed for me this year, but the Yellow Flag hasn't yet and it's probably because it's buried deeper than the other two? 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:08 AM »
I have never fertilized it...  how would I go about doing so?  I use the fert tabs for my lilies, so would I just stick it among the rhizome?  If so when would be the best time?  Early spring?
I use tomato spike fertilizer in the early spring with my potted LL's but the one I have in a colander pot is bare-rooted and in the koi pond.  Seems it does fine w/o fertilizer (unless you count fish poo as fertilizer  :teehee:

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
Love you're stream too !  o(:-)
I have Black Gamecock iris too , it's one of my favorite's !

bonnie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"