Author Topic: Homemade fountains on a pond tour today  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Homemade fountains on a pond tour today
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline Vickie

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade fountains on a pond tour today
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 03:20:31 PM »

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »

Offline lerchcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:55 PM »
That is very cool

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:20:32 PM »
Vickie, those are so cool.  What is the material they are made of,,,,looks kind of like copper. 

I have been making cement leaves that I will have to post pics of--just finished one of my huge hosta leaf.  It's turned into a bird bath or bird feeder--I haven't decided yet.  But I could make a fountain like that with the other leaves that I have in the works!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
Those are really nice , someone's put a lot of work in them !

bonnie

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:39:31 PM »
kittyzee they are made  of cement and painted different colors and clear coated. I love them

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 06:47:32 PM »
Me and bunnie where gonna get together and make one like this but never did. 

tink

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »
Love them all!  o(:-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
OMG!! CEMENT?  Really?  I've gotta get busy.  Made one from the Guacamole hosta, and one from a burdock leaf.  They aren't ready to look at yet, but now I"m really excited!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
Those are so beautiful.  Especially like the first one and would really have loved to hear it running.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
me too

Offline Holldoll

• Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »
Those are amazing!

Offline Loony

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Those are beautiful!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Vickie, those have a seriously good paint job on them.  I am going to get really creative next time I'm painting mine.  I painted my large hosta leaf green and then did the diamond coat sealer.  It gives it a clear coat of moisture protectant.  Those look like taro leaves, but this time of year it's fun to go exploring to find different sizes and textures.  I can't wait to see what my burdock looks like---it has a texture kind of like skin and veins running through it!  8)
LuAnn

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:09:41 PM »
Positively beautiful, and the way they are surrounded by the very lush masses of plantings. 

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:27 AM »
Kittyzee,

Where would one go to learn how to do this?
Bryan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 07:58:25 AM »
There was a garden center here that gave a class on it Bearb.  My SIL went and then she and I made the giant hosta leaves together--I had the hosta leaves and she had the knowledge.... lol  Now I know how to do it and have been scouring the pastures and flower beds for different leaves to use.  Maybe even try to Google cement leaves or something like that, I could type a tutorial, but it's nice to have someone to show you how to do one.  That's all you'd need to learn and it's fun.  I bought everything I need to make hypertufa planters too--can't wait to get started on that! 
LuAnn

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 10:22:01 AM »
Those are beautiful, nicely done!

Not to advertise another forum but there is a big thread over on Koiphen on how to make these. Very detailed with pictures. One of the best tutorials out there on how to make these.

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?86460-Concrete-Leaves

They are really pretty easy, there is just a few tricks to them and you need to be patient. I've done a bunch of them but just haven't done anything with them yet. I just have a hard time finding the time any more.:(
DH is making a planter for me by the front door and it will have a small water feature in it. I'm planning on using a few of the leaves in it that I've done.
The problem for me here is that there are not many plants here that grow the really big leaves. I had to have another ponder back east mail me some big elephant ears leaves.
I have used bigger lily pads and large pumpkin leaves too. Rhubarb leaves are another good one to use if you have it or know someone who does that will give you their leaves when they harvest their rhubarb.
If you are really handy (and patient), you can make silicone molds of your leaves so that you can reuse them over and over.
Several things I discovered in making these is that you need to use the fine finish cement, makes for a much nicer, smoother leaf. Its also important to buy the fortifying additive and put in. I've made some with and some without and the ones without it can break pretty easily. Some instructions tell you to use wire for strengthening. I bought the fiberglass tape and used it instead, worked just fine and much easier to handle. Make sure you don't get your concrete on too thick or it will "slide" towards the edges of the leaf and you get a messy flat edge beyond the leaf edge. Don't work in the heat, wait and do these towards late summer and fall, or in a controlled environment such as a shop or basement, less chance of cracking as they dry.

Here are some other links to instructions.
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php

http://www.the-artistic-garden.com/leaf-casting-super-tips.html

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/accout/2002072754010311.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:25:53 AM by Desertponder »
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 12:40:12 PM »
With my leaves I use the portland cement.  I also use the fine sand that we bought for the granddaughters' sandbox that they don't use anymore.  I use wet regular coarse sand under the leaves for a mold and leave them there for about a week, you don't want them to dry too fast.  You can even spray them with water to prevent that.  They are covered in plastic for that week also.   

For the planters, you can use coarse sand, perlite, peat moss--whatever you would like for your texture to be.  Get creative and see what you like and what works for you.  I hope you find a way to do this, it's easy and a cool finished product! ;)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"