Author Topic: Update on overwintering my dwarf papyrus  (Read 863 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Update on overwintering my dwarf papyrus
« on: December 07, 2006, 07:17:04 PM »
If you remember, i had asked if anyone had any ideas on how i could overwinter a really nice large dwarf papyrus. well i have it in a container in the basement with water and a 60 watt grow light on it for 16 hours a day. its doing very nicely, nice and green and is actually growing, even with the cold temps down there. the water is about 50 degrees. at this rate, i think it will make it.

photos later
lou

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Update on overwintering my dwarf papyrus
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 05:53:21 AM »
Good to know Louis.  I'm certain yours will make it through the winter.  I have 3 different types of papyrus, including the dwarf overwintering in the house.  The dwarf is in a south facing window, the others are in an east window.  None are getting supplemental lighting (we're getting about 8 hours of daylight now) and all but the "giant dwarf" are putting up new shoots.  You may be able to cut back the number of hours your grow light is on if it's expensive to run.  Thanks for the update.  emm

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 06:04:58 AM »
Yup, mine is not the dwarf type but I have two pots in the living room that are in a west window and one in the east window. I have a pot of parrot's feather in the north window. There is no supplemental light at all. We seldom are in there. The house temp is about 65.  They do just fine. I have overwintered them about 5 years now. One clump sits in a pot with no soil, that is buried in the bog. In the fall I grab the stalks way low and gently lift and put the plant into another pot just like the one it spent the summer in. The other pots sit above the water and I just keep it well watered all summer. The big one will have to be cut into 4 clumps come next summer as it is getting too big. I just use the Sawzall and will chop it up.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 08:04:20 AM »
Hi Louis:

Sorry I missed the initial post.  I just have my dwarf Papyrus in a sealed pot outside the one I use in my containers in my Living room, which has a lot of light with S by SE exposure.  In the spring late (end of April) I usually divide it into four pots and put it outside again.  This has worked well for me over the last 8 years.

Gary

Wow it is finally winter here with wind chill we are around 20F!  I can't wait for Spring...I'm going to have to go to Longwood this weekend for rejuvination!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"