Author Topic: for Jerry  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
for Jerry
« on: July 16, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
he is growing he was the size of 50 cent piece

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: for Jerry
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »
OHHHH I am so jealous. I used to have one like that but somehow he left.

Offline trish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »
So cute.  I had to do a double take on the new lily pad that's curled up.  For a split second it looked like you threw in a hot dog to feed the turtle.   ::)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:25:13 AM »
me too Trish!  he is a cutie.  Amazing how turtles are so much fun!
Vickie did he wander in?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:00:03 PM »
Jerry I have no idea where he came from I have never had a water turtle. He just showed up and was very tiny. He has grown in the month I have had him. I keep a screen over the top of the tub so he cannot get out. He is small enough he can set on a pad. I don't know if I will try to keep him or not I know he will eat my lily leaves and bite off blooms. I have bad winters here and I am not sure I could have the right set up to winter him over. So I might let him go in a lake when he gets a little bigger. He was so small a bird could have carried him off. I am feeding him canned salmone. He also has small fish in the tub with him.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:45 PM »

As long as you feed him well he won't hurt your lilies. If he does then just feed him more.
 He should overwinter fine in one of your lily pots. They like to bury under something like a lily root or a rock.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »
I hate to disagree Mike, but it's just not true that if you feed him enough he won't eat your lilies.  Turtles instinctively eat when they see food regardless of the state of their hunger - simply because only mother nature knows when the next meal will be provided.  If he/she is not eating your plants yet, then that's great but eventually the plants will be a meal and my turtles always preferred lilies, especially the rising buds, to any other plant in the pond.

Vickie, if you plan to let him go anyway, sooner would be better.  The more you feed him the more dependent on that feeding he becomes.  Let him go now so that he can learn to find his own food while it's still plentiful in whatever lake you plan to release him into.  And unless your pond is pretty large and deep, he hasn't got a great chance of surviving the winter in it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Thanks all who posted.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
I have found some Lillie's are more desirable then others,  Most are left alone.  The "Colorado" must have been tasty.  They wrecked it.  It is doing ok in a tub.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:58:44 AM »
I noticed a small turtle in my pond about a month ago. I saw the little head pop up one day while I was feeding the fish. The last few days, it has been the first one to the middle of the pond where I throw their food!  Same time, same spot, turtle wins, lol

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 08:24:21 AM »
  I respect your opinion Teresa and I'm sure it's based on your personal experience and what you have read.

My personal experience is with native RES turtles in more or less natural conditions and I have read very little.  Different turtles from different areas might have different food preferences.  

My turtles eat according to their apatite and there apatite for plants is determined by how much high protein high fat animal or plant based food that is available to them.  I can predict when my turtles are going to start eating my lilies by what time of year it is and how much I have been feeding them.  In the spring they have just come out of hibernation and of course they are very hungry.  The more hungry they are the more they will try to eat anything that looks edible unless they find a particularly good food source then they will concentrate on that. At that time of year they are making eggs also which adds to their apatite for protein and fat.  If you give them a good source of what they need they will ignore the lesser source and only eat what plants they need to round out their diet.

After egg laying they are also particularly hungry and require extra high quality food to prevent lily eating in my ponds.

After egg laying if I feed them and the fish good there is no lily eating and the bigger turtles seem to all disappear.
What happens is that when they have built up their bodies reserves of fat and protein they go into aestivation which is a summertime light hibernation.  They burry themselves in the mud 13 feet down in the deepest coldest part of my pond and don't surface for I don't know how long, probably for days or weeks.

I know this because I have lots of big and little RES turtles and during aestivation time, which is now, if I call them and throw out food for them the big ones all pop up from the deepest part of the pond covered with mud.  Then they eat and go back to bed.  The little ones sleep less if at all.

My turtles have another way to tell me that they want me to feed them and that is to bite my seed pod bags. All I have to do to stop them from doing it is to feed them. It works every time for years now.  If they are hungry they will test out anything that might be edible but if you feed them enough they turn into couch potatoes like anyone else and sleep a lot.  

Teresa one thing that may explain the difference in your experience and mine is that my ponds have an abundance of native submerged marginals, from water plantain, a turtles favorite plant food, to water purslane, arrowhead, creeping jenny, spike rushes, spiral tape grass, Chinese water chestnut, square stem rush, cattails and many different native sedges and carex species to numerous to mention. Also three different kinds of snails.  I have no idea which of these that they prefer except for the water plantain but I think lilies are a ways down the list, at least most varieties. As Jerry said they definitely have their preferences.  My turtles like Carolina Sunset and Ladekery Fulgens the best.  Not Colorado so far.

Another thing is that my ponds are basically overpopulated with shiner and fathead minnows.  Everybody dies eventually and even though the turtles can't catch fish they sure do scavenge any slow or dead ones. That makes for a constant supply of VERY protein and fat rich food source.  Fish tend to die after a good feeding for some reason and the turtles pig out on fish food and fish and go to sleep.

My situation is very different than yours and Jerry's and advice from you guys might apply better to most peoples pond situations.

My opinion is that a stuffed turtle will leave lilies alone for the most part.

Jerry I think that sand is the last thing that a RES wants to lay eggs in.  They want clay dirt. Sand indicates water flow which is what they are trying to get away from.  They also want elevation.   I would put as high of a mound of clay dirt in your wire cage area as you can get to the point of leaving only enough fence at the top to prevent escape. And make it packed and very steep right down to the waters edge and plant it in lawn grass seed to prevent erosion and muddy water.  An almost flat top and very steep sides is what you want in order to maximize the high egg laying area. They can climb very steep sod. Turtles prefer sod to make their nests in anyway.  Mulch it with grass clippings to prevent erosion and muddy water until the sod grows.  Turtles also like to be high above the water they slide into so they can see around the area to spot danger.  I would make it Turtle Mountain instead of Turtle Beach.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:47:30 AM »
Good tips mike & teresa.  I can mix more soil into the beach,  That's easy.
Turtle mountain? Too late. (see below) My wife prevailed on the new name,  I don't think they can read anyway!
My attitude on this is, "if it works , great, if not, I did what i could!"
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 12:04:29 PM »
I like the sign.  It gives a 'tiki torch' luau type feeling.  Now where's that barbie?   ;D

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:12:24 PM »
yeah Kat that was the intent. My wife was in the kitchen and saw a turtle heading to parts unknown.  She claims it is not thee female.  I beg to differ. No she never spotted it again. It is over 100 out there and plenty of asphalt.  A bunch of swimming pools too, Hope she is lucky!
She, my wife is annoyed that I said "I give up!" :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline lerchcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17:53 PM »
I will be building a turtle pond after the summer because it is too hot here, cant wait, but I will be doing alot more reading before i do so

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"