Author Topic: Hiding in plain sight... (Update)  (Read 4237 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hiding in plain sight... (Update)
« on: July 18, 2010, 01:48:16 PM »
Can you see me?

How about now?

Surely you see me now...

Okay, you found me...  Now it's your turn to hide.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 01:25:39 PM by Mikey »
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Hiding in plain sight...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »
not til you zoomed in.. O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Same here! Very cool shot! Good looking spider. Bugs are so well camaflaged. Often I don't see them until I down load the photos.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 04:50:59 PM »
I am terrified of spiders and spied (LOL) his in the first picture. Thanks Mikey for making my hair stand on end.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 05:56:41 PM »
I've never seen one like that:  what kind is it?   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »
lol when I seen a post from mickey I thought oh great.. more beautiful garden shots.. and I get a spider   :)

Yard pictuers please :)

tink

Offline Lynda

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:30:10 PM »
That's a Lynx Spider - I had one that lived in a tree rose in my front yard in California.  They are very interesting nest-builders - they weave a next that looks like a hollow ball; the eggs mature and hatch within the "ball."  Mom doesn't leave the nest until they are big enough to be out - she then rips a small hole in the nest and waits for the young to emerge.  I loved watching my spider make it's nest every year in the very same place.  Hey, Mikey - maybe that's a descendent of one of the ones from my house...you're not too far from there...

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »
Very Fun! O0

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:55 PM »
After photographing the spider my objective later on that day was to identify it and as Lynda said it is the Green Lynx spider.  My research indicated that the Lynx will sometimes jump at its prey much like a jumping spider.  After learning that I was glad it didn't jump on my nose when I was checking it out....   :o

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
Ugh Mikey!   :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 05:50:46 PM »
 ;D Very cool Spidy!

Offline Lynda

• Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
After photographing the spider my objective later on that day was to identify it and as Lynda said it is the Green Lynx spider.  My research indicated that the Lynx will sometimes jump at its prey much like a jumping spider.  After learning that I was glad it didn't jump on my nose when I was checking it out....   :o

If it's a female and she makes a nest you'll really enjoy watching it develop, and she'll come back every year.  I loved my green spidey - I walked by her every day on my way to and from the car and always stopped to check on the babies' development...and Mikey, she never jumped at me. 

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »
Mikey, I was actually looking for you at first. Thought you might be hiding in the plants somewhere.  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
The "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" plant is now flowering and this morning I noticed the Green Lynx spider on the underside of the flowers waiting for breakfast.  I then left to see my twisty boy and upon returning home I noticed it was having brunch.....

The sad part is that it killed a pollinator, what appears to be a green metallic bee and one of the good guys....

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »
I've got a tarantula living under a rock in the back yard.  It's brown and shy, so haven't decided if it is male or female.  Been trying to get a picture, but it's too fast...maybe soon.

Great pics Mike...if she caught the bee..just pretend it was old and slow and hopefully near the end of it's live cycle.

Deb o(

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
just pretend it was old and slow and hopefully near the end of it's live cycle.
Actually that is kind of depressing considering that I too am old and slow.....   lol

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
Well your eye sight is still good.  How long did you study Jerry's picture to find the "banded object"?   ::) 8) o(

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding in plain sight... (Update)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
Since the previous photos the Lynx spider I noticed another Lynx spider nearby on a different plant.  Both spiders  spun an egg sac and they have been protecting those sacs for several weeks.  These photos are of the 2nd Lynx spider and her hatch-lings.  The eggs of the 1st Lynx spider have not started hatching yet. 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »
I'm glad Michigan is far from California. I know spiders exist here and multiply. I just don't care to see it.

In fact, I didn't know that Michigan had black widows until Kevin was unstacking a bunch of 4 x 8 sheets of cedar siding that had set in his garage for several weeks. There were 4 dead ones huddled together. Evidently this type aren't as poisonous as those in hotter climates.

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »
eeeewww! Saw the word spider, NOT scrolling down to see what this is all about!
Kathy

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »
Those pics are fascinating!  But still...ewww.   

This is the time of year for spiders around the garden and in the house.  Here the wolf spiders are trying to find water and they are coming in.  The cats love to play with them, but they (the spiders) usually don't get out alive...and I wish I could say I was sorry, but I can't.  I don't have a thing against spiders, but I do have a big aversion to wolf spiders.  They are HUGE..and they don't make webs to catch their prey, they just catch them. 

Lots of them around the pond and in the flowers and in the basement.   :o 

My close friend had a scare with a sore on her breast this summer.  It kept getting worse and she had a terrible wound.  Went to several doctors, had tests run, mammograms:  the works.  Went to the last doctor and she told her it was a spider bite.  They had been to a church camp and she probably was bitten in the night and didn't know it.  She was given appropriate treatment and is fine now, but a couple of the doctors thought she had some form of breast cancer.... :P
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »
Cool pictures.............but, I would be relocating that nest of little ones further away from my house.  I don't mind them as long as they are outside, but I don't want hundreds of them either.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
Wow!  Fantastico photos of the Spider and bug on the "Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate" plant and amazing photo of the 100's if not thousands of new babes!  Good luck relocating the youngsters!  {:-P;;

LuAnn that is an amazing if not horrifying event for your friend.  Had to be one in a million.  My DD did research on spider bites for the research center at her university hospital and found out that spiders of the garden rarely, rarely bite.  Most encounters of patients with "bites" turned out to have bad rash, infection, or another type of insect bit them.  Glad for your friend it was a spider bite!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
I'm not a big spider fan either but I recognize and tacitly accept their place in nature.......and "nature" is outside, not inside the house.   :D   However, I have been enjoying watching these two Lynx spiders.  I just wish they wouldn't prey on beneficial insects such as bees.  I tried to get the Fetching One to sit out and watch them this morning but for some reason she just looked at me and rolled her eyes......   ::)

In the early evening I often sit out in our front yard patio enjoying a cup of hot mocha cappuccino or tea.  I'm sitting about 3' from these spiders, separated by a 2' high brick wall.  Tonight while sitting there, wearing a t-shirt and shorts, I kept thinking about those baby spiders that I couldn't see in the dark only a few feet from me.....  For some strange reason I had the feeling like something was touching my legs and I found myself reaching down and brushing off my legs with my hand......  Nothing quite like an active imagination coupled with the power of suggestion.....  ;D  In the future I may take my flashlight out with me just to assure my skittish mind that nothing is crawling up my legs......

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
That's me too Mikey.  I see them and then imagine they are on me and well,,,,the two just don't mix.  I have made my peace with them also but if they want to stay alive, they will have to stay out of my house.  What is up with them in the sinks and bathtubs?  Someone needs to fill me in on that one... ::)

My mom used to tell me when I was a little girl and I studied/played with things like spiders, ants, worms, etc. that I "had better quit doing that,,,,you'll pee the bed!"   lol
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 02:49:54 PM »
Someone gave us an electric fly swatter/zapper as a gag gift.  The Fetching One has found it is excellent for electrocuting spiders that wander into the house.  The first time I saw her use it I was startled by the bright flash and loud POP when she zapped a spider that was crawling up a wall...

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 05:22:58 PM »
 lol  that's really kind of bordering on the macabre... :o  There's a couple people I'd like to practice use that on.. :D
LuAnn

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
Mikey, your photos are really nice. I love seeing bugs that we don't get in our area. I suppose the closest thing we get here is the agirope spider and the funnel/tunnel spider. The tunnel spider might be closer because they build a tunnel-shaped web and hide inside the tunnel. In the fall they are visible in the dew-soaked mornings on lawns and shrubbery.

When my brother was in college in Colorado, he brought me a couple of Black Widow spiders as a Christmas present. He had the metal jar cover poked with holes for air, covered with a paper towel secured by a rubber band. I was young and stupid, so I took the paper towel off the lid so the spiders could get more air. All the baby Black Widow spiders escaped....and that was on LI, NY. I wonder if any of those babies survived and if I alone altered the course of nature...? ;) Oops! Good thing I was only 12! I'd be put in jail if it were today...
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
Did you count those baby spiders yet Mikey?  Nice pics

I don't usually bother outdoor spiders unless they are in a doorway I need to use.  I hate getting spider web across my face.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »

I hate getting spider web across my face.
Boy, that brings back bad memories of back when I was a cop working night patrol.  Walking into orb spider webs when checking on prowler calls at a home was all too common......

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"