Author Topic: as asked for pictures of my ponds today  (Read 1734 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
as asked for pictures of my ponds today
« on: July 22, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »
A few people asked to see some pics of my ponds...not the best day to take picures, kind of rainy and gray, but if I didn't do it now I would probably forget.
we have 5 ponds, 3 are little.  The first was dug in the summer of 2004 took about 2 months, shovel by shovel.  It is about 25' long by 12' at the narrowest, and about 32" at the deepest, holds 2400gals. We have 9 koi, 5 male goldfish and one shubunkin in this pond

the second pond my husband built one weekend when I was working(same year as the main one) this is above the main pond.  Last year we rebuilt it, it is about 7' x3' and about 18"-20" deep, we have a small pump in the main ponds skimmer that pumps water up to this pond and then it gravity feeds back down into the waterfall, we usually put some small goldfish in for the summer.

our 3rd pond is the lily pond, it was dug in 2007 with the help of a tractor with a bucket and shovels by hand.  It is aproximatly 18'x13', with a small channel, made to look like it is attached to the main pond.  It varies in depth to about 3' deep, there are LOTS of goldfish in this pond, and 30 some pots of lilies.  And one of the two larg ponds to show you locations

The next one is the Lotus pond, I dug this one last year, by myself, it is about 4'x6' and has a beautiful white Lotus that is unnamed in it, and of course lots of frogs

The 5th and probably last is the new little front pond, it was a free preform pond I recieved last year, has some lilies, hyacynths, a couple japanese trapdoor snails, frogs and a couple goldfish frys...oh and a picture of the very OVERGROWN gardens in the front near the little pond

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 08:14:09 PM by marla »
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: as asked for pictures of my ponds today
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
really lovely!

Offline small fish

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:28:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing ...they all look great... and the plants you have around everything... I am green... that part takes me forever  8-)~

Myra
Myra Shreveport, LaZone 8A

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:56 PM »
Very nice Marla. What a lot of work----both digging/creating and now upkeeping.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
Everything is beautiful Marla!  Five ponds are a lot to keep up with.  You have so many pretty plants too.  I especially like your arbor, what is the vine growing on it?
Your front yard sure has a lot of curb appeal!

Karen

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »
Wonderful ponds & love all your flowers  O0 O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:16 AM »
A beautiful paradise to stroll through enjoying plants and fish!!  You have a very large lot too!  I wish I could find a spot to put another pond, but the creeks running through our land overflow every so often and I don't want to risk losing everything in a hard rain. 

Nice job Marla!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:05:17 AM »
I have serious pond envy.  You have what I want.  :D  Your ponds, your lilies, your lotus, your landscaping, everything is beautiful Marla.   o(:-)

emm

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 06:09:06 AM »
Your ponds and yard is so beautiful and looks like it could come out of the pages of Better Homes & Gardens. 

Offline zydia

• Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 04:15:33 AM »
Glad I asked to see them.
Beautiful ponds and landscapes,and all the plants, wow all your hard work certainly has paid off. Paradise.

Offline marla

• Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
 :redface:  Thanks everyone for all your nice comments, I'm blushing.  Yes after 22yrs this yard has changed a lot, not a single tree on it when we built, now it is nicely closed in by spruce and pines on the sides and back and lilacs in the front, a small woods in the back, and lots of gardens.  Most people say we will have a very hard time selling with the ponds and gardens...maybe the right person will find it when we are ready to move.

Kittyzee, a creek on the property how nice, but I understand the overflow problem, could you build a berm?
Karen, upkeep isn't to bad and a labor of love and passion so I don't mind.  The gardens are mulched so not many weeds.  Problem comes with dividing plants and finding people that want them, otherwise it gets transplanted to the woods and if it survivres fine.
Zydia, thanks for asking, it made me take pics, that I haven't done for a couple years.   I love working out and after the long WI winters I hate being inside on a nice day.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"