Author Topic: MANY photos from Longwood Gardens!  (Read 2463 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
MANY photos from Longwood Gardens!
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:46:38 PM »
Part 1:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3097146&id=2062560&l=3a7d93af4a

Part 2:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3097188&id=2062560&l=4187ff8561

It was AMAZING!  8)

Notice the "eye of water" starts off at 8000 gallons per minute! Wow, my two pumps do that volume in an hour!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: MANY photos from Longwood Gardens!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:30:42 AM »
WOW!!  Thanks for sharing  O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline trish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:45:40 AM »
Wow is right.  Your pictures are so beautiful and I especially loved seeing the Mosaic Plant in so much detail. 

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:49:07 AM »
Thanks, J.C.   I like their focus on greenery, for a forested look. 

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »
Such an amazing place! Loved your photos. Longwood is on my list of gardens I hope to visit some day.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »
Wow great pictures and beautiful gardens!

I can't help but ask , why the picture of Arch En Ciel lists it as a tropical day blooming water lily on the placard?
Bryan

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
Isn't that just the most gorgeous place ever?  I visited there some years ago - we were planning on going for one day and then on to other sites.  Went back twice more in three days because we just could not get enough of the gardens.  As an orchid fanatic of many years I spent a great deal of time in the orchid greenhouse...drooling.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
Looks like you 2 had a great time. Awesome photos. I took a nap then looked at the rest. I think my favorite was 7927, it was great. Thanks for sharing. o(:-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
Jessica, your pictures are just stunning!  I was so impressed with the orchids, ferns, staghorn ferns--I would have been in heaven!   o(:-)  What a gorgeous place!  Thanks for sharing your pics.  Oh, and great B&B too BTW, what a relaxing looking place! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 08:12:06 PM »
Thanks how beautiful  I'll sound dumb but where is Longwood Gardens?  I need to make a list of gardens to visit, this will be on the list
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 05:09:55 AM »
Thanks all!

I did not catch the hardy labeled as a tropical. It is definitely a hardy!

The gardens are located in the Brandywine river valley about 30 miles west of Philladelphia. The total area is just over 1000 acres, the conservatory alone is around 4 acres! It started as an arboretum but was "rescued" by the du Pont family. There summer home is located on the property.
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »
Jessica:

I love that place!  You should of contacted me I only live 10 minutes away.  Anyway, did you also get to the Brandywine Museum ( 3 generations of Wyeth paintings).

Go Gators,

Gary

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Patrick Nutt is the one who started the water gardens at LG and it is an impressive operation.  Each Lily is in a 5' diameter concrete container that is filled with some of the richest soil I have ever seen.  You can take a water lily class and the best part is you can walk away with as many tubers as you can carry!!  a lot of local people bring their lilies to divide and trade so the class room part is slow, everyone on edge and then you go to the back rooms where all the potting goes on.  It's pretty neat with old rails to move carts around the conservatory that are still used.  The ponds are lines with steam pipes so I used to have races with them who would get the first tropical bloom.  Note my tropicals were coming from my families nursery in Miami and I usually won even though I planted during Memorial Day!  pat would just chuckle when I broughy in the flower.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:59:06 AM »
Oh man, wish I had known you lived so close! We walked around the Brandywine river, but did not go into the museum. The area around Longwood was beautiful, but I am not a fan of downtown Philly.

I would *love* to take that class! Is it offered once per year?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
I've only seen a few photo on articles about this garden.  Your photos definitely make a great statement about how beautiful and creative this garden really is.  Thanks for the fabulous photos.  Love the place you stayed at too.  Did you mention it?  I'll have to check.

Offline CoolShades

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
Actually the Philly area is full of great gardens, but Longwood is recognized internationally as one of the best gardens in the world.  Other gardens in the Philly area are Chanticlair, Winthurer, and Barnes foundation (also one of the most impressive single art collections that will only be shown at the mansion a few more months.  I'm amazaed how one person could collect so much significant pieces, over 150 Renoir's, in additon to some of Matisse's important works, Seurat, Picasso, Van Gaugh, Cezzane, Monet along ith 100s of american artists.  all set up to show how these influential artists learned from each other).

Jessica:

I forgot to mention the chime tower is know by many as the engagement tower (obvious reasons), i used to tell my daughter it was Repunzel's castle.  It's fun in the winter with the lower pond turned into an ice rink.  Yes the course is offered in the Spring.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 04:34:02 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous pictures!! Spent at least an hour, just looking. Well, okay -- was
drooling!!   Makes me want to go to Longwood.

Marie Fisher

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"