Author Topic: What to expect from your massage therapist?  (Read 1696 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to expect from your massage therapist?
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
I was wondering if anyone here has been to a massage therapist regularly for muscle pain.  I have some pretty bad knots in my neck and upper shoulders and have been to the massage therpist twice now but I feel as if maybe she is not pressing as hard as she could and my muscle pain returns in less than 2 weeks.  Does anyone know how many visits it takes to be rid of the gnawing achy muscle pain for good? Or post your experiences with this sort of thing. 

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to expect from your massage therapist?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:25:58 PM »
i know nothing about this but ,like the majority , won't let that stop me . if it goes away for almost two weeks i feel that is excellent . further more it makes me wonder if you to something to aggravate it with out realizing it causes the problem . possibly you sit in a chair that doesn't suit you well . think about trivial things you do often and maybe you'll realize what is causing you grief [other than me] . good luck....peace

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Two weeks relief sounds good to me.  I agree with 2vettes...what are you doing...maybe stress?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
Without realizing it when we are stressed and tense the shoulders and neck area are the places that really show it.  We raise our shoulders (not noticeably) , grit and grind our teeth and jaws, and then the muscles pull on the spinal column.  If you spend lots of time at a desk, or at a computer, or with your head bent down doing some task--these are all things that cause head, shoulder, neck tension.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »
What you think is muscle pain could be something to do with a pinch nerve. Do you chiropractor?

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »
Sorry, it will be a long post but when this subject comes, I always speak about my experience and I know it helped many other people.

9 years ago, suddenly I felt irresistible pains on my right arm and my 4th and 5th fingers did closed in. Going to several hospitals and doctors I have learned that I had “ulnar tunnel syndrome” where the ulnar nerve was blocated on my elbow and wrist. As all the neurologists told me no other way than being operated from these 2 points, the orthopedists were telling  me need to be operated from my neck. Of course I was confused and lost my confidence to the doctors.

I have read all the documents available about this problem and found out bitterly that the medical world do not have enough knowledge about nerve problems. That time I became a member of a patients forum and have discussed with hundreds of patients who had been operated and became worse.
Both operations were very risky due to having other nerves being injured and loosing all the hand functions.

I was so lucky to met a Chinese man, who made an unbelievably good massage to my arm and hand for 20 sessions during a month. I was feeling his fingers inside of my body and at the beginning tears were coming from my eyes. But after 5-6 sessions I became addicted to his treatment which gave me a good relief. I was feeling how he changed the positions of some muscles along my arm and replacing them back.

After 1 month and still all is ok with my right hand. That time he explained to me with his very poor english that he had studied this in the university and what he did was a kind of “acupuncture without needles”.

That days, I met a women on the street, with her right hand compleately closed and she was having pains. She said that happened when she gave birth a few days ago, and now the doctors tell her to get operated. This Chinese man, opened her hand with one massage session.

Many people asked from those forum the name of this massage and I scanned them some information written in Chinese, by him. Later I received 8 times “thanks” mails from Americans, who went to Chinatown with this paper to find a practiser and they really had their problem solved.

The sad point is; 4 years ago I got the same problem, this time to my left hand and I had no Chinese man here to help me. I tried lots of massage institutes with no help. Lastly I found out that they use the same massage system here in the “school of blind people” (they say blind people can make good massage because they feel through their fingers). They gave me almost the same massage but a very very SOFT version and my hand is better than before but still have continuous pains and deformation, which I got used to live with it.

When I asked them, pls pls push more hard, they said “yes we know that we make it too soft because we are not fully experts on this and making a mistake will cause bad consequences, only in China they give education on this.”

So; a good massage made by an expert is something very very important and can be solution to many problems.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:46:14 AM »
I agree with you tugo--too many doctors opting for drugs and surgery and they 'poo-poo' any alternative such as massage, acupuncture and chiropractics.  Beware of the chiropractors that don't do x-rays first though...
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 06:46:24 AM »
I don't know much about massage but I do have a 70+yr old friend who had had chronic back pain for years.  He had a constant grimace on his face so you could tell he was hurting.  About 3 years ago as I was headed into the bank, a guy comes out and practically skips down the sidewalk towards me. He passes me and I think that was Thurman!!!  I call out to him and he skips back.  He had started going for acupuncture and his first treatment was like a miracle.  He looked 10 years younger and had even stopped smoking.  He totally sings it's praises and after seeing him...I understand.  So yes..there are more choices out there other than popping pills and surgery.  Our health is our responsibility!!

I recently heard about acupuncture for weight loss...I'll let you guys know.

Deborah  o(

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
There are massage therapists and there are massage therapists.  Perhaps you need to shop around and find another one.  The Fetching Mrs. Mikey presently uses chiropractor, acupuncture and massage therapy and says all three help but do so in different ways...

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
Thanks for all your input everyone.  I see her again next week and am going to try to ask if there is any way possible that she can press harder, her current sessions do not cause me much discomfort.  It is definitely stress and posture related but I have a bad case of it right now. 

I use to see an acupuncturist for severe rhinitis and allergies,  not for pain and had good results with the treatments that my primary care physician could not help me with other than to suggest medication for life and monthly allergy shots.  Well I went to see the acupuncturist and after a few months of treatment my symptoms were very much reduced and I go through periods when I have no symptoms at all.  And, I do not need to spend money on medication for life.  When I get a flare up that is particularly bad I go get a particular Chinese medication and take it for only a short period of time and am back to normal.  Sometimes I don't know if its the actual Chinese medicine or the needles or both that helped me. But I am a lot better off today than I was before I went to the acupuncturist.

The acupuncturist costs more than the massage therapist at present, so I'll probably stick with the massage therapist for the muscle pain for now. Plus I already prepaid for a set number of sessions with her.  If I continue to have issues I guess I can always look into going back to my acupuncturist for this too. Thanks. I had not even thought of that.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
I won't go for massages. I tried it for while because we can get a super deal through a place here with our fire dept. ID. They make me hurt worse. Feel good for a day or so and then start hurting worse. I felt like total hell for about a month or more before someone else told me to stop going to get massages, so I stopped and slowly started feeling better and stopped hurting. Just my personal experience.:)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »
Shanna, my MD told me why the message makes everything worse.  He siad that I was so tense from holding in the pain...the message loosened things up and then I felt all the pain.  It did make sense the way he explained it.  He said not to wait so long to hunt relief by whatever method worked for me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"