Author Topic: What American accent do you have? (We did this once before and it was a lot of f  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Loony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Mine said the west; I have no accent. Hmmm, everywhere I go, people comment on my southern accent.

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
At times it is not accuate at all.  It nailed me and many others.
My cuz who left Phila at 12 and lived in the South was shocked it got her too.
You will see a few interesting answers.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
I have a Midland accent.... 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Offline digger-z8

• Members
  • With us since: 25/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Kool kquiz - lotsa fun, but no suprises heah.. *snicker*

American by birth, suthe'n by the grace of God  @O@

~digger

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Born in Los Angeles, after kindergarten, moved to and educated and finished university in the Maritimes, Canada, then back to California for many, many, many years.  "Eh!"

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
And I have " The Inland North " :))

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
The answer was insulting to me. >:(- It said mine was Inland North. Mine is actually a cross between Alabama and Tennessee with a dash of British. ;D
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Bearb

• Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Your Result: The Midland

They got me right on, that tends to happen when your guesses are incredibly vague. Basically they said I could be from somewhere in the US. Well St. Louis (born and raised) is in the US. It did get one thing right, I don't have the awful St. Louis accent.
Bryan

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    • View Profile
It got me right too.  Midland accent and I was raised in Missouri.

Offline misstammy

• Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    • View Profile
"What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North
 You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Very interesting- how did they know this- from Wisconsin- neat
I believe people from Il and Chicago do not sound like Wisconsin because they too will ask are you from Wi

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
Midland for me. ;)

It was odd when I went to Ireland a number of years ago, people there would ask me where I was from and I would say the US and they would be surprised. They would say things like "Really? You don't sound American." "You sound French, not American." ::)  French???  Not sure how they were getting that out of a Colorado born and raised gal.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline karen J

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
They pegged me pretty well:
"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."

I really thought I'd lost my NY accent and was solidly neutral. But they didn't mention anything about Long Island, which has a subtle difference than  NYC.

Pawk the Kaw = pak the kaa = paarrrk the karr (NY, Boston, Chicago)
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"