Author Topic: What kind of frog is this?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What kind of frog is this?
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:41:31 PM »
Is this a bullfrog?  ?)(?  The first picture shows the frog in a 5 gallon bucket. The second picture shows the frog with a normal size frog next to it.  :o.  There was several of these in the pond this past summer. I mean these guys are HUGE!. When they float in the water and all you see are these huge eyes looking at you , it looks like something out of a Godzilla movie .  lol .

Seriously tho, there were sooo many frogs in the pond this year that it was rediculous. Will this have an effect on the quality of the water? I had 3 babies at the end of last season and I think that these huge frogs ate them?  :-\
Darn frogs.  {nono}

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of frog is this?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 06:49:23 PM »
Oh my word. He sure looks hefty. My frogs are long ago asleep under the ice.

Offline terri

• Members
  • With us since: 22/10/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 02:48:49 AM »
I dont think its a bull frog.. I thought the bullfrog's skin was a bit lumpier. This guys skin seems very smooth.
Whatever type it is, its HUGE!  And yes, he probably ate your baby fishies. At that size, they can even eat a Bird!
terri
1500 gallon pond. Most residents are 11 yrs old. Most are Koi, with one 9 yr old bullhead catfish. Residents took a trip of one hr to their new home. We all moved to this home just over a yr ago. They love their new digs!

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 04:34:19 AM »
Dang! That is one big frog ..
Maybe he's listed in here?
 http://www.frogs.org/amphibianet/index.asp

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
 (8:-) Looks like a fat, healthy, male bullfrog to me...if you leave him in that bucket with the smaller one, he'll be even fatter and healthier in a very short time, with more room to move around! ;) They'll eat anything they can cram in their mouths! Lots of big bullfrogs usually means not a whole lot of anything else smaller than they are.

Linda

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:53:19 AM »
WOW, he sure is a big fella :o They can eat a bird?? Now I am wishing they were alot larger and could go after those nasty herons {:-P;;

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:02:10 AM »
Thanks for the link Kay. I checked it out and they say that the largest frog in Illinois is the Bullfrog.

Linda, good thing for that little one then because shortly after the picture we let them both go. Hopefully the little one was quick enought to get away.  (8:-) Unfortunetly I think your right. Like I said...we "did" have 3 babies and for the longest time I wondered what happened to them. When I started seeing these monster frogs I kinda new what happened  :( I don't suppose there is any way to keep them out?

lol Tootsie.

Now tell me...does that not look scary!  :o

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »
In that last picture it kind of looks like the Loch Ness Monster :) . Glad I just have Green frogs.
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:29 PM »
Daisy, you're in Illinois? Sure looks like a big fat healthy Illinois Bullfrog to me.  (8:-) The smaller frog could be a baby (first year) bullfrog or a Green frog.

I'm in North Eastern Illinois, and the Bullfrogs around here are downright scary/huge. I once saw one go after a Hummingbird.  :o &-)

As mean & nasty as they can be, I still like them.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:28:19 PM »
OMG, that IS a monster :o. Glad he's not in my pond, he'd surely cut down on the bird population and my little grey tree frogs would be categorized as "snacks" . Don't think there's much you can do to get rid of them other than catch and relocate and that isn't the easiest chore; no luck at all trying to catch the (much smaller) ones in my pond all summer :no: They're cool critters, but I could sure live without them (as could a lot of smaller residents of my pond). ;) Good luck!

Linda 

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »
Linda, re: relocating: I did try (several times) to catch the Bullfrog and release him/her to where he/she originally came from, which is a wetland/lake only 700 feet away. Oddly enough, when I removed the greenhouse cover from my pond in spring there it was- the same Bullfrog!

I have no idea how that darned frog made it back to my pond before I got it covered, but it did. They are wise in their own way.  (8:-)

If it comes back this year, it will be quite surprised to learn that there is no cushy warm greenhouse to winter over in.  ;D :-)~
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline obsessed-nj

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 06:22:49 AM »
Karen, with a wetland/lake only 700 feet away, catch and release may be an exercise in futility. The lake nearest my place is about a mile away, and we see "waves" of frogs crossing the roads at night in late spring/early summer. I imagine your frog is thinking he has it made with your pond so near; sorta like a private reserve, lotsa food and less competition. Think I'd name him Terminator 'cause he WILL be back! ;D My son, grandson and I kept wondering why our resident bullfrog seemed bigger sometimes and a tad smaller others til one morning when I looked out at the pond and spotted a line-up of four bullfrogs of graduated sizes and realized we hadn't been seeing the same one! ?)(?

Linda

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 11:08:18 AM »
holy hogs houves, I am certain that that "frog" of yours is the largest one I've ever seen :o here are a few shots of the smaller ones.

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 11:12:32 AM »
Geesh he looks larger in these pictures :-)~

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 01:03:11 PM »
Karen I have the same problem with the retention pond behind our house. That has to be where they come from so relocating is really useless.  >:(- 
I know we've had more then one at a time because I've seen 2 of them sunbathing on the rocks at times.
Tootsie. your frogs look so nice and green. These guys are so dark green they are scary.  ;)
At this rate I'll never have babies again.  :no:
I suppose these guys could really wreck havic with your water quality?

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 01:53:44 PM »
That photo with the eyes sticking up does indeed look scary.

A friend of ours worked at a golfcourse and he saw a bullfrog jump out of the pond and grab and swallow a baby duckling.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 07:20:46 PM »
hi daisy,
he is a bull frog and he has his winter coloring. they turn black, usually in late september, in prep for the long sleep. black so they will not be seen in the mud.

i love frogs

lou

Offline Daisy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 05:34:52 AM »
Whoa thats scary LeeAnne! Poor ducky.  :(
I like frogs too Louis, I just like them a little smaller  ;) I didn't know they turn black tho...thats very interesting. We don't even have any more of the small green frogs since these bullfrogs invaded.  :no:

Offline lori s

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 08:50:29 AM »
Daisy, he does look like the lochness monster in the pond.

Tootsie, I think your frog is a green frog since it looks like he has a raised line going down his back.

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2006, 09:24:20 AM »
Yes Lori I believe it is :) I had such a riot this summer watching them pair up, well not exactly,it was the battle of the powerful! There was one pair that tried to get together using the width of the pond. All I saw were frog elbows and butts!! Perhaps they were just showing off their aquatic skills? i DUNNO, but they are just so funny to watch! Also while I was walking around the shallow side of the pon., One lil frog kept trying to race  me into the water for his get away!! Funny thing is,when the water cleared, he had zoomed into the wet clay to hide, but the only thing that was covered up was his little head!! @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"