Author Topic: What do you do when it's too freakin' hot to be in the garden or pond?  (Read 2993 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I can't think of anyplace besides the library that has AC and quiet where no one will bother me while I read.  It could be magazines or more how to books or a good novel.  Just need more comfy chairs though.

How about you?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do when it's too freakin' hot to be in the garden or pond?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
 {:-P;;  In the kitchen doing something with all that produce from the garden  ;D

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 02:50:45 PM »
I 'plink' on the computer, also do what Sue does.... ::)   sometimes read, but I do LOVE to go to the library where no one knows where I am and just browse the book aisles... 8)  I have made a few leaf castings but it's just too hot now:  and the flies here on the farm, ugh! 

I think I may can a few of my tomatoes instead of letting them go to waste.  I helped DD#2 make and can 35 pints of tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce) on Tuesday.  We also made kosher dills and sweet pickles a couple of weeks before.  I really need to get outside and weed a little bit and just tidy up the gardens, but my heart isn't in it with the humidity as high as it is.   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »
i ,for one , have been doing yard work , biking , and jogging . i have no clue as to how one uses a library .

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 05:32:38 PM »
Pete and I have been volunteering. Like that's anything new!! Our youth pastor moved out of the parsonage about the first of June and the landscaping was being overtaken by weeds. Pete and I have spent about 8 hours each weeding. Now we'd better put down some mulch or it will have been a waste of time.

We have had an unusually hot/humid summer so everything is growing like weeds, especially the weeds. Pete went to mow the ball diamond at church and it was so high in a little over a week that he spent 10 hours mowing with the bagger, emptying it, and unclogging the shute.

I've been cooking meals too. There have been several ladies who have families who had surgery this summer so I took them a meal.

Yesterday we stayed with the grandkids while their parents went to a funeral across state.

Today I repaired a zipper on a pair of shorts for one of Dawn's friends.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
Late summer when it's too hot for anything else is my favorite time to read.  I have a lounge chair in the woods, but lately it's been too hot in the woods!  We had record highs last week, thank goodness we were gone north for a vacation.  This year we have the worst garden ever.  Didn't plant as much as usual, too much rain early on and now hot and dry.  Yesterday my son's girlfriend brought tomatoes.  Daughter-in-law joined us when she got off work and we canned 25 pints of salsa and spaghetti sauce.  Then they fixed spaghetti, salad and garlic toast for dinner.  My kitchen was a disaster, but we had such a good time together. 

I hate to admit it, but I haven't been in a library for years.  That was one of my favorite things to do in the summer when I was a kid.  It was just Mom and I at home and she worked long hours, so I spent my days at the library.  Now I just borrow books or buy them at yard sales.  I'm cheap.

I do want to try the leaf castings again.  Tried earlier this summer and my mix wasn't right..........they crumbled.  :'(
Just waiting for cooler days.  Actually, the last couple days haven't been too bad out.  I've been cutting back some perennials.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:57:11 AM by Indiana Karen »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 08:46:51 PM »
I've either eaten or roasted tons of tomatoes before this heat we are experiencing this week.  I too have lots of weeding to do  :-\ :'( :P  They seem to growing just like weeds!  :o  But I can't handle the heat, the heat wimp I am.  And the last place I want to be is in the kitchen.

Today I just went to the mall and had a nice crepe lunch with DD and window shopped in way cold AC. ::)   Window shopping is dangerous, I know.  {:-P;;

LuAnn some day I will get out there to do some leaf casting.  This morning I had to cut away a few large taro leaves from above the pond.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Those Taro leaves would be good to do leaf castings

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 05:27:19 AM »
OMG!! Those leaves would be gorgeous!!  I HAVE to take some pics of mine in different stages.  I want to try and make some hypertufa garden balls--I just have to get to wally world and buy the balls.  They look so cool stuck around plants here and there.  It's also cool to make down spout 'troughs', they look like ancient sandstone and way cheaper!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 11:10:11 AM »
Now common sense would suggest I do some weeding and other gardening chores in the morning when it is nice and cool..... but no, I get up about 7:15AM and make a cup of mocha cappuccino and then go out to our front patio and enjoy the morning while usually listening to talk radio.  The humming birds and butterflies are waking up about the same time and I sit and enjoy watching their antics.  In addition some of my neighbors come by on their daily walks with their dogs and I visit briefly with them.  Basically I waste away 1-2 hours of the morning.  Then I come inside and read my e-mail, Facebook, AP and other forums and pretty much waste away another 1-2 hours.  By then it's starting to warm up and if it is hot and humid (August tends to be our humid month due to monsoonal activity in the deserts north and east of us) I decide to take the day off and turn on the AC and read or play some more on the pc.  If it is not humid but warm to hot, 80-90, I will go out and work in the garden in the heat.  Thus far I think we have only had to turn the AC on 5x this summer.  Today is supposed to be cooler and I have not noticed any significant humidity, thus I likely soon wander out into the garden to play catch-up.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
I hear ya!  The heat is just relentless this summer.  When it is this hot, I just hide inside the house (has A/C) or stay in the office (office building is nice and cool).  The pool doesn't even sound "cool" to me.

Hope you get some relief soon.   O0

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I need to find me some common sense!  ::) Yep, like Mike said, it's hot but not humid, but still hot!  Ok indoors, but not necessary to turn on AC as yet.  Where is that cooling trend!?!  >:(  I need to get out to garden the front yard at least.  The crab grass is taking over  >:(- >:(- >:(- >:(-

My new blue potatoes need to be "dug-up" soon!  Tomatoes need their last blast of fertilizer.  These are the easy jobs.  Weeds take up most of my time.  I will need to get out there, when it cools a bit, and weed away and then put down some topping of wood chips.  :P
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:42:59 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
LuAnn I would love to get out there to make some hypertufa leaves and balls too.  It hurts to have to throw my large taro leaves into the compost  :'(

While in Boston we visited Salem's historic neighborhood and saw these what look like concrete balls in a side garden.  They take away the fact that there is a simple planting of shrubs and lots of space in the shade.  Looks like I can use some too just to have less gardening to do  {:-P;;

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 05:38:20 PM »
I have central air conditioning in my house.  @O@
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 05:49:51 AM »
We have AC too but don't usually use it. Early in June, we had company so Pete turned it on. It hasn't been off since but a couple of times. The temps dropped yesterday drastically. This morning it is 54. Sadly, the grandkids are coming Sunday for over night and I bet the pool will be cold by then.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »
I have central air conditioning in my house.
And I bet you know someone who can fix it should it break down....   ;D

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 10:35:33 PM »
Ok, new one.......With another heat wave at home, we left town for even hotter Paso Robles, on the Central coast of California.  Never been but heard much about it.  Wine tasting is the best thing to do in Paso Robles.  The weather hovered about 105 degrees outside...but who cares?  We were inside cool tasting rooms tasting great wines for free or close to free!  :D  @O@  Had too much fun enjoying the hospitality of this newer wine making community.  This is what Napa use to be like before they became too uppity...imho.  ::)

Then we headed towards the coastline where it was much cooler around the 70's and 60's.  Then we got home tonight to a very warm house and hopefully cooler weather tomorrow!  Keep cool everyone!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2010, 05:15:49 AM »
Mercy-----47 this morning. It just doesn't compute.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2010, 08:30:45 AM »
Should I change the title to "What would you do when it's too freakin' COLD to be in the garden or pond?"  ;D  That is a cold one for you at this time of the year isn't it, Esther?  Brrrr.

We have awaken to morning fog  @O@ and I should be working on the garden, weeding  :thumbdown: , while it is still cool but I'm still on vacation mode  :P

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2010, 09:23:39 AM »
What makes it aggravating is that a couple of days ago it was 92* and the AC was running full blast. The pool felt like a bathtub. I just checked the pool and it was 68*. The grandkids are coming this afternoon for an overnight and of course it'll be too cold. Tomorrow the air temp is projected to be 82* but the pool won't warm up that quickly. We don't have a heater on it.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 04:25:34 PM »
sit in the shade and try to figure out how to pronounce ''miguynmkoi'' which has bugged me for a long time .

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
MY GUY and my KOI  now wasn't that easy? o(:-)
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 04:16:50 AM »
no!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
Hope your pool was warm enough for the grand kiddies, Esther!

Cute Jerry!

Pronounced: my guy an m koi

The story behind the name?  Very old.  :P

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 10:29:44 AM »
They tried. It just didn't work.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
Oh what cute kids.  :)

Annette, I've always wondered about your name too.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »
Great pics, Esther!  They do look cold but I bet they had fun anyhow.  Love to see kids smile so big!  Really fun "End of Summer" memory to keep.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"