Author Topic: Laughing all the way to the bank....  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Laughing all the way to the bank....
« on: August 25, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
Our son has been driving a hand-me-down 1976 Datsun pickup for about 12 or so years.  The truck was a piece of junk and could only pass smog tests after a lot of carburetor tweaking.  He recently purchased a Subaru all wheel drive Baja and he needed to get rid of the Datsun.  The Datsun had body damage, was starting to burn oil (400K miles...), the inside upholstery and dash board was thrashed, it failed the smog test and it needed new tires. 

In steps the State of California which gives the owners of old cars that can't pass a smog test $1,000.00 for their car which is then crushed.  Yep-per, that's my State.  It pays a thousand bucks for a car that isn't worth $300.......  Our son was laughing all the way to the bank. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Laughing all the way to the bank....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 04:22:34 PM »
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i love it . you need to buy some beaters for $300-400 and sell them to state . you could quit your job .

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
Cool for your son.  But, screwed up!

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 10:26:12 PM »

But, screwed up!
I agree....and that philosophy partially explains why our State is billions in the red.  The folks who run our state are very smart.....but what good is it being smart when you lack common sense and wisdom....   :suspect:

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:45:35 AM »
common sense and wisdom....   :suspect:

awwww, the good old days

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:20:53 AM »
But, screwed up!
I agree....and that philosophy partially explains why our State is billions in the red.  The folks who run our state are very smart.....but what good is it being smart when you lack common sense and wisdom....   :suspect:

Very smart indeed!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
It gets better.  Recent items in California news relating to our "green programs" has many people complaining that they bought new energy efficient appliances to replace their older models and had not received the promised money in California's Cash For Appliances Rebate Program.  California gives out money (rebates) when consumers purchase new energy-efficient dishwashers, freezers, water heaters and heating/air conditioning systems.  15 million has been paid out to date. 

Eligible energy efficient appliances and rebate amounts available are: refrigerators $200, clothes washers $100, room air conditioners up to $50, dishwashers $100, freezers $50, water heaters $300-$750, and HVAC systems: $500-$1000.

Because of the slow response in payouts, the program has hired 15 additional employees.

I mistakenly thought the "green" in our green programs related to environment issues but I'm beginning to think the green has to do with the color of U.S. currency....   lol

Isn't that a kick in the head.  Other Californians, me included, through our taxes paid for our son's piece of junk car and I am also helping to pay for my neighbor's new dishwasher..... 

But to end this on a positive note, I must admit that our air quality has improved significantly since the 60's.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
Other Californians, me included, through our taxes paid for our son's piece of junk car and I am also helping to pay for my neighbor's new dishwasher..... 

And they are welcomed  :P  Where were these rebates when I bought a frig and dishwasher years ago?!  But the nice thing is that our dump yards are full of all the appliances that still work and old clunkers, that probably still work.  >:(

I gave away my old 25 year BMW car to a friend's son.  He fixed it up to better working conditions himself and with help from friends.  Did I see $1000?  Nope.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"