Author Topic: Nightmare Come True  (Read 2081 times)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Nightmare Come True
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:14:04 AM »
Well, I know I've been a fount of great cheer lately, but here's a little more I just have to share with you guys.  A little background - I don't live in the best neighborhood, but it's not exactly the 'hood.  We have our problems now and again, but nothing too serious.  The night before last I had a nightmare of a shootout where the suspect decided to ditch his gun in my pond.  Well, that's not quite what happened.  It's better.  About 1:30 in the morning I was awakened by my dog going ape about something.  I look outside to find 4 squad cars, a paddy wagon, several undercover cars.....  and they're surrounding MY HOUSE!!!!  Turns out that a kid (14 or so) and a couple buddies stole a car, took the cops on a high-speed chase, ditched the car and took off through the neighborhood.  One genius hopped my fence and landed IN MY POND!  The cops had to pull him out.  They thought it was the height of hillarity, but as I'm sure you all know, I didn't find it amusing in the least.  One cop told my BF 'you might want to drag the pond to see if the other guy is in there - we haven't found him yet'.  NOT FUNNY!  All I could think was liability!  If that jack@ss had gotten hurt or drowned I'd have probably been held responsible  >:(-  We were up until about 4 watching for the other 'kid' (who we helped catch on a neighbor's property).  The situation was bad enough, but they trampled plants, knocked rocks into the pond, and smashed about half of my memorial garden to my dog.  I know it will come back, but it broke my heart.  So far, other than disruption there doesn't seem to be any actual damage (I pictured a hole in the liner!), but I'm sure going to drain the pond down some to check to see if there IS a gun (or something) on the pond floor.  I really don't need this.  Well, thanks for listening.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmare Come True
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:07:48 AM »
Yikes!!! What losers!!! I'm sorry this happened to you,
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:41:00 AM »
I would be so mad.  >:(  The sad thing is that you will get no help whatsoever in cleaning up the mess.  We have had things happen in the past........drunks crash fences, marijuana grown in our crops, etc. and the property owner is always the loser.  My opinion.......the court should order a landscaper to come in and clean up, replant, etc., (that the kid pays for) but that will never happen........ya can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.  >:(-

Sorry for your mess.

Karen

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 08:29:37 AM »
I'm glad you were not hurt in that nightmare. 
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 09:49:23 AM »
Aww Katfish, that is just crappy.  Nobody needs that kind of excitement in their neighborhood, let alone their yard and pond.   >:(

And Karen:  I'm thinkin' that if we would start putting pressure on the people who need pressure put to them, we just might squeeze some blood out of those turnips... 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 12:47:18 PM »
It seems like many folks are having their share of chaos these days. Really sorry about your pond. Was your dog in the house? If not, you are probably lucky they didn't shoot it. Lots of that going on around the country too. :(
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
Sorry for you but it could be worser. So still feel lucky, any other bad could happen.

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
been worried about you . they could turn your summer into a movie . i never thought of the liability issue , that is a scary thought .  take care .

Offline moondivatx

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
Wow glad the incident ended sort of peacefully with no shots and I hope no damage to your liner.  Sorry about your memorial.  Contact your councilman and see if your city has a victims fund that you could file a claim for damages.  To represent you is why he/she got elected!

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:13:04 PM »
Holy carp! That is a nightmare for sure. As far as liability, it was fenced. If some jumps over ?

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  Luckily the dog was in the house - I had the same fear about him getting shot.  So far, no permanent damage that I've noticed, so that's good.  I'm going to spend some time out there today poking around to try to decompress.  I just got back from taking the civil service test to be a dispatcher for a local PD (150 + people vying for ONE job  :-\ ) so I could use some calming influences.  I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that things start to look up from here on out or I may start posting from the local cracker factory  :D  BTW, 2vettes, if you see this, I was serious about sharing some plants and or fish if you're interested - had an explosion of growth this season.  Just gotta let me know.

Offline squibbette

• Members
  • Every day a new adventure!
  • With us since: 31/05/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 03:43:23 PM »
Oh my...amazing story, thanks for sharing and I am glad you and your family weren't hurt.  It can make a person feel very violated when something like this happens.  Someone on your property without your permission.  God Bless and I hope the memorial garden comes back stonger than it was!  BTW, I live in a suburb of Fort Wayne, IN and woke up early one morning with law enforcement surrounding my house.  They were looking for someone related to and suspected to be living with my neighbors.  It doesn't matter where you live, bad guys are everywhere!  Checking with local government for victims assistance is a great suggestion.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »
What a mess!  I'm sorry all this happened. 

It's funny, a friend and I have just been talking about dreams and premonitions, and in fact, she is having me watch a PBS presentation about "The Edge of Dreaming" about a lady who drempt that she would die at age 48, so she (a videotographer) is documenting her 48th year.  It's an hour and a half long, and so far we're just seeing shots of the kids playing, walking through fields, etc., so I can't tell you yet if her dream comes true.  I'm just sorry that yours did. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"