Author Topic: htwoo lilys  (Read 904 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
htwoo lilys
« on: August 27, 2010, 04:43:21 AM »
how does one now what size container to plant water lilys in because i'm thinking ours might be to small . also wondered if they should be in clay ,ours are, or the gravelly like stuff sold as aquatic planting 'soil' . our water lilys put up a circle of leaves that encompassed an area maybe 3 feet in diameter also some nice flowers but not a large number of them . leaves also seemed to yellow quickly . our water quality seems to be fine according to tests although ph is always around 8.2 . thanks......peace ....by the way , i'm sure different lilys have slightly different requirements .

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: htwoo lilys
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 05:48:00 PM »
There are several factors to be considered in answering your question as to pot size. One is, how often do you plan on dividing the plants and repotting? If you will be diciding yearly, then the smaller sized pots might work okay for you. Second consideration- Are your lilies hardy or tropical? Hardy lilies need bigger pots because the tubers get bigger and need room to grow. Generally, a one or two gallon pot will be big enough for hardy lilies. Tropical lilies benefit from the same size pots, but can actually take smaller pots. The larger the pot, the better for the growth and size of your lily. I actually grow most of my tropical lilies in 22oz. tumblers, but I really do not want my plants to grow as large as possible. They are mostly grown in half-barrel sized containes. Only the lilies in the ponds have the bigger containers. This shows, however, that plants can be grown in various sized pots.
As to soil. I use plain top soil out of the ground here and it has some clay in it. I always recommend people to use top soil even if you have to buy it, but do not get potting soil. too many things in it that will float and make your pond look nasty. This is also much cheaper than the aquatic soil that is marketed.
The reason your plants may not have bloomed as much this year, and the leaves turning yellow is probably lack of nutrients. Lilies need to be fed. This year has been much hotter than normal and people who generally use a slow release pellet fertilizer have especially had problems. Because the pellets are there, they think the fertilizer is there. However, the frertilizer is released with heat, and with this years heat, the fertilizer was "dumped" quickly, and so what may have lasted 3 months in the past, only lasted a month this year. Pond fertilizer tablets needed to be fed to the plants for them to continue to bloom and grow. I use fertilizer tablets and feed monthly, or at least every two months. Plants are not burned doing this, nor are they starved.
Happy ponding! Hope this helps.

Y

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 04:35:12 AM »
thanks for excellent reply . by the way , all hardys and in one gallon mesh baskets .

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 03:49:19 PM »
You might consider moving the plants to two gallon pots when you divide them this spring. Hardey lilies have a tuber that grow out across the top of the soil, so the more room they have to grow on, the better they like it. When you divide, put you new tuber against the side of the pot, with the grown end headed toward the center of your pot. This gives the lily some growing room. I always place 2 pond fertilizer tablets in the bottom of my 2 gallon pots when I plant the lily so that when the roots grow down into the soil they wil find the fertilizer. Then I will place another tablet in the pot a month or so later, depending on how hot the weather has been, and how well the lily has started growing.  Then feed the plant one tablet monthly, depending on the size of the lily. This should give you lots of blooms next year. Quit feeding two months before frost.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"